G3258

I'm getting a GTX 960 with a G3258 and am intending to play Skyrim, whole series of AC except unity and bioshock infinite.

Will the G3258 bottleneck the GPU hard and will I be able to run those games at ultra settings @ 1080p using the 960 or do I need the 970?

Only 1 mod with Skyrim which is the HD mod.

I'm getting either a GTX 960 with a G3258 and am intending to play Skyrim, whole series of AC except unity and bioshock infinite.

Will the G3258 bottleneck the GPU hard and will I be able to run those games at ultra settings @ 1080p using the 960 or do I need the 970?

A 970 would be better (duh) but that combo will work fine.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

A 960 or a 760 is the GPU that I recommend you wont go higher with the G3258.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Wworking fine means playing those games @ ultra at decent fps right? :D

Nope don't do it, you will have a bad gaming experience.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nope don't do it, you will have a bad gaming experience.

What? So do I get the 960 or 970

960 don't get the 970 with that CPU.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Wworking fine means playing those games @ ultra at decent fps right? :D

Umm no. You can run most games in high @ 60+ fps or ultra at around 45-55+ fps. If you have the money, get a 970 and upgrade to an i5 down the road. The 970 is more, dare I say it, "future-proof" than the 960.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

are you getting custom cooler or expensive z97 mobo?

cus you can get i3 that destroys even overclocked pentium

you should cut some corners and get an i3. however the pentium is amazing for its cost and by the time you upgrade the 960 you can upgrade to i5 also

either a gigabyte or asrock h97 itx with WiFi

*edit* actually, since I'm going to OC , m ust I get the z97 instead

I'm getting a GTX 960 with a G3258 and am intending to play Skyrim, whole series of AC except unity and bioshock infinite.

I ran a G3258 and a GTX 970, and Skyrim was bottlenecked but still very playable, while Bioshock Infinite ran perfectly (e.g., 100% GPU load with VSync off). I can't say anything about the AC games since I never played them on the system, but in most new games my GTX 970 was bottlenecked pretty badly by my overclocked Pentium. For instance, Tomb Raider was pretty badly bottlenecked to the point it was really annoying playing through it. Of course any bottleneck you have with a GTX 960 will be way less than with a GTX 970 though. Still, if you can spend the extra $30-$45 on an i3-4130, i3-4150, or i3-4160 to go with the 960, I would highly recommend it. GTX 970 + G3258 is a horrible combination for the most part; the bottleneck is ridiculous.

If you're seriously thinking 970, instead of paying $420 for a G3258 + GTX 970, you could spend roughly that same amount on an i5-4440 and an R9 290 and get a vastly superior, I'm talking night and day, better gaming experience. The R9 290 is very close to the GTX 970 in performance, and an i5 or better makes a huge difference for gaming since most games seem to be optimized for quadcores now. The R9 290 would get bottlenecked hugely by a Pentium or i3 though, while the performance is rock solid with an i5 or better.

no,the pentium can be oc`ed even on h81 boards. it doesn`t make sense to spend more on the mobo than on the cpu lol.

either a gigabyte or asrock h97 itx with WiFi

That's a horrible idea:

$70 Pentium G3258

$100 Z97 board

vs

$110 i3-4150

$70 H97 board

For $10 more than 4150+H97 combo destroys the G3258 + Z97 combo. The only way the Pentium makes any sense is if you're upgrading to an unlocked Broadwell i5-5670k or i7-5770k in the next 3-5 months or so.

no,the pentium can be oc`ed even on h81 boards. it doesn`t make sense to spend more on the mobo than on the cpu lol.

That's true, my G3258 was stable (through Prime95 and gaming) at 4.4GHz @ 1.18V vcore on a Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V. Though with H81 boards you'll often be looking at 1.2V vcore limit.

Oh didn't know that I read that only Z series mobos could OC my bad.

That's a horrible idea:

$70 Pentium G3258

$100 Z97 board

vs

$110 i3-4150

$70 H97 board

For $10 more than 4150+H97 combo destroys the G3258 + Z97 combo. The only way the Pentium makes any sense is if you're upgrading to an unlocked Broadwell i5-5670k or i7-5770k in the next 3-5 months or so.

Well I'm gona go for asrock h97m itx ac now with my g3258 :P just wanna try some beginnet OCing

Yeah, when firing up Skyrim with RivaTuner Stats Server on there are usually 4 threads being loaded.

Yeah Skyrim can be really CPU intense, you need strong Intel CPU there, not a Pentium.

Yeah Skyrim can be really CPU intense, you need strong Intel CPU there, not a Pentium.

Pentium works just fine for Skyrim.

Shits on any AMD, anyway.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Pentium works just fine for Skyrim.

Shits on any AMD, anyway.

HA HA...no, may shit on AMDs weaker cores in game which uses 2 cores max, but still Pentiums 2 cores are weak as fuk.

HA HA...no, may shit on AMDs weaker cores in game which uses 2 cores max, but still Pentiums 2 cores are weak as fuk.

Therefore it shits on AMD in Skyrim and vast majority of games.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/24/intel-pentium-g3258-review/5

Remember that big post that shit on you with facts?

Most games use one or very few main thread(but could use more than 2, perhaps for sound, network, debug...etc.), where pentium's lower core count isn't as big of problem as AMD weak singlecore performance.

And, clearly, pentium is strong enough to compete with i3.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...