New alienware 15 good?

D0UI3LEA

Would anyone recomend this laptop?

Im looking for a gaming laptop with 15.6 screen and atleast a gtx 970m. I thought about the g751 but its too big, and the alienware is 220 bucks less but has 8gb ram, which is suffecient for me. I get that they used to be overpriced but that one seems a good deal to me. Do you see any problems with the specs? I am looking to spend 1.5k at most. Thanks

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-15/pd?oc=dkcwf02&model_id=alienware-15

What, 16GB is $150 more expensive than having 8GB?

Wow that's a new type of rip-off

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I would try and stay away from Alienware if your are looking for value of any kind

Look at Asus MSi and Gigabyte if you want better value and performance 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

1. Yea, it's good, but with an I7 and 970M it might become less interesting than some other options (there is a review on notebookcheck.com)

2. Very good IPS display (I mean, one of the better IPS panels)

3. Relatively good thermal performance with only minor throttling even under full load. Case will get hot though

4. Relatively good keyboard and speakers

So, it's a good machine. I'd say it's more interesting with the 965M and I5

Other good options with GTX 970M are the Clevo laptops. The Clevo P650SE is now selling for $1200 with 970M, I7, IPS display, no OS (link)

I would try and stay away from Alienware if your are looking for value of any kind

Look at Asus MSi and Gigabyte if you want better value and performance 

Gigabyte P35W is more expensive that the alieware with the same specs (except for the 6gb ram on the gpu). I have seen the msi ghost (same specs) but didnt like the trackpad, and it feels cheap. Also the Alienware is cheaper that the asus g751 with the same specs

Alienware and good don't go in the same sentence.

Alienware is not good.

^ here u go  :P

Any reason why?

1. Yea, it's good, but with an I7 and 970M it might become less interesting than some other options (there is a review on notebookcheck.com)

2. Very good IPS display (I mean, one of the better IPS panels)

3. Relatively good thermal performance with only minor throttling even under full load. Case will get hot though

4. Relatively good keyboard and speakers

So, it's a good machine. I'd say it's more interesting with the 965M and I5

Other good options with GTX 970M are the Clevo laptops. The Clevo P650SE is now selling for $1200 with 970M, I7, IPS display, no OS (link)

I was thinking of the clevo, any one with a bad experience with it? is the trackpad and keyboard good? I really like the alienware trackpad and the buttons below, on of the best i have ever tried. I also really like the keyboard. 

I am not intrested in the 965m and i5, because for $350 extra I get a 970m and a quad core, the i5 is a dual core, and I think that it is worth it.

The specs and the price are pretty good, and usually if you order through a rep you can haggle and get the price even lower. Its a very solidly built laptop with very good cooling, especially if you compare to any of the thin and light gaming laptops. The screen is a fantastic IPS panel as well. The only thing that disappoints many long time alienware fans is that they no longer use socketed CPUs and GPUs so they are no longer user upgradeable and the lid is no longer actual aluminum.

The specs and the price are pretty good, and usually if you order through a rep you can haggle and get the price even lower. Its a very solidly built laptop with very good cooling, especially if you compare to any of the thin and light gaming laptops. The screen is a fantastic IPS panel as well. The only thing that disappoints many long time alienware fans is that they no longer use socketed CPUs and GPUs so they are no longer user upgradeable and the lid is no longer actual aluminum.

That is not a problem because all of the ones i am looking at are non upgdradeable.

The RAM is also very easy to upgrade and there are 2 empty M.2 slots for you to throw SSDs into while keeping that 1TB HDD. 

The RAM is also very easy to upgrade and there are 2 empty M.2 slots for you to throw SSDs into while keeping that 1TB HDD. 

That seems good to me, I might just get it next week, but waiting for responses on any bad experiences with it

I was thinking of the clevo, any one with a bad experience with it? is the trackpad and keyboard good? I really like the alienware trackpad and the buttons below, on of the best i have ever tried. I also really like the keyboard. 

I am not intrested in the 965m and i5, because for $350 extra I get a 970m and a quad core, the i5 is a dual core, and I think that it is worth it.

review

You ever owned one? This is BS. Alienware computers are not bad by any means, they're just not good value. This doesn't seem like BAD value though.

You ever owned one? This is BS. Alienware computers are not bad by any means, they're just not good value. This doesn't seem like BAD value though.

Bad price to performance in my eyes = bad

Bad price to performance in my eyes = bad

Value is only a small part of what makes up a product, and seeing as this is not a blatant rip off there is absolutely no reason to just throw about assumptions like that. The ASUS equivalent is about the same price.

The AW15 actually have relatively good performance / price ratio. Currently you'll get I7, 970M, very good 1080p IPS display and a tablet for $1500, which is better than the GT60, for example. Clevo options, with IPS display and Windows also come to this price (expect the M5 Pro deal)

Value is only a small part of what makes up a product, and seeing as this is not a blatant rip off there is absolutely no reason to just throw about assumptions like that. The ASUS equivalent is about the same price.

So the a GTX Titan would be a good card to buy?

Value is the biggest part of a product.

They did. They were the most top-notch in terms of gaming, BIOS options and performance back in the M18x R1 and M18x R2 days. They went downhill with the "AWxx" models and now that we're on AWxx R2 models, they've just reached new lows. Shadows of their former selves.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

For some people a GTX Titan is a good buy, not because it offers (significantly) more performance than other top tier cards did, but because that is the card they wanted. The one and only Titan. Not the 780. It's the same logic you apply when you pay twice the amount for Coke than the price of some generic brand. They may taste vaguely similar and based on that the generic brand may pose the greatest value, but it's not. You buy Coke, because you want Coke. 

Even then this notebook is rather decent value so your original point is still invalid.

Yes it is, the 6gb and the cuda cores might be needed for somethings other than gaming.

Value isnt the biggest part of a product, so if someone has the money to buy a ferari does he buy a civic instead because it has better value? They both perform the same task but the ferari is better in all other aspects other than value. I could buy any laptop that plays games at low, but if I have the money why not go for the one that plays ultra? The alienware was overpriced, but in this case it is the most effecient in the laptos with the same specs, tell me anyother laptop with the same specs that is cheaper that has good cooling.

Yes it is, the 6gb and the cuda cores might be needed for somethings other than gaming.

Value isnt the biggest part of a product, so if someone has the money to buy a ferari does he buy a civic instead because it has better value? They both perform the same task but the ferari is better in all other aspects other than value. I could buy any laptop that plays games at low, but if I have the money why not go for the one that plays ultra? The alienware was overpriced, but in this case it is the most effecient in the laptos with the same specs, tell me anyother laptop with the same specs that is cheaper that has good cooling.

You missed my point.

I'd say go for it, and take advantage of the free Venue 7 tablet that comes with it while you're at it. (Note: you have to select it when configuring your laptop)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

No it isn't, stop saying that. If you need a titan's features and you have the money, the price isn't really a concern

Edit: OP, looks pretty good. Honestly, I'd stay away if you can find a better deal, but if you can't this is totally fine

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it