Whole Room Water Cooling Part 5b

Gosh that radiator is killing me.... why did they use the fuckton of smaller radiators with small pc fans instead of some kind of larger radiator one (automotive one?) .

Linus just a thought, but the pumps you have seem to be optimized for pressure rather than gallon per hour flow rate, you might find it quite beneficial to get a pump that is more of a 50/50 split between flow rate and pressure.  The water blocks, rad's, and everything honestly do not require that much pressure to push water through them, they are fairly low impedance.  It would be my guess that depending on the size of filter you end up using that one filter will have more impedance than the whole system does as of now.  If my assumption of them being jet pumps is correct then when you put the filter in place you should not see much if any dip in flow rate because those pumps are pressure optimized and will push water through the filter fairly easily.

On a side note, if those pumps that you have there are "Jet type" pumps then they would benefit greatly by putting a small submersible pump on the intake hose (ie in the tub of water) jet pumps are not designed to "suck up" water out of a bucket, they are more designed to have a low pressure high flow rate into them, which they convert to a high pressure lower flow rate out.

Nothing like a whole room watercooling vid to make you happy after a shitty day.

samme

-Specs on my profile-

Wow, this set up seems like a real pain in the ass.

I wonder if they really will transfer it, or just say f**k it and go with AC (like normal people would)

I hope they refine it and stick with it, I think it really sums up their company. 

Also. I think that if this was "advertised" as more of a volg/ long-term log type thing, with more frequent and regular, but less substantial video it would have been better received in several parts, .like it is now. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

What type of solder are you using? That looks like welding solder, not electronics solder. Electronics solder is usually thinner and has a rosin flux core so you don't need to add the flux separately.

Intel Core i5-4690 | MSI H97 PC MATE | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4x4GB) | SanDisk Extreme II 120GB SSD | WD Elements 3TB HDD (internalized) | XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB | Corsair 300R | EVGA 500W PSU | Windows 10 | 4480x900 (1440x900+1600x900+1440x900) | Dell AT101W | Logitech M305

Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB + 200GB MicroSD

For soldering, first wrap the wires around each other, solder, then heatshrink - don't solder them side by side, that just makes your job more difficult. On top of that, when soldering the wires, first heat up the connection with the soldering iron for a few seconds, then while still heating up the connection, bring the solder to the connection. It should easily flow across both wires, then pull away the solder when done, followed by pulling away the soldering iron. And on top of that, most solder contains flux these days, so a flux pen isn't necessary when simply soldering two wires together (however, extra flux can be useful if the wires are extremely oxidized). Finally,

a good video from Adafruit (they sell hobbyist electronics) on soldering. You can ignore some of the particulars about tip sizes too, any tip should get the job done well enough for what you guys need.

Linus - I live in California, my family owns a California State Contractors Licensed plumbing company... my father is a Plumbing Contractor/Master Plumber. My little brother, and I are both at journeyman Plumber skill level. Depending on the size of the job... when we do residential work, we need to have a permit, and a final inspection to make sure we haven't done anything illegal code wise, or law wise. I am wondering... in Canada, are homeowners just allowed to run pipes and wires wherever, whenever, and however they want to... without any type of permits, or inspections by the government? BTW... in California it can be VERY difficult, and expensive if you try to sell your property/home that has unpermitted/illegal remodels. Is it the same way in Canada?

In Canada we have a lot of inspections and things to go through as they would in the US for electrical, plumbing, HVAC and other things such as for seismic activity in BC. As for doing work yourself as long as it gets inspected and checked off by someone licensed and you know what your doing it's a good to go in most situations. For sales I think it may be a bit easier going here where if you try to sell your home a home inspector or real estate agent here will not go to the city to check for permits pulled on the property, that is placed on the responsibility of the home owner or person purchasing the home.

In Linus's case I doubt any of this really applies since it's a cooling system that's so unique, but if he were to sell the home he's probably take it out before putting it on the market since most purchasers will probably be freaked out by what they did or what it's for.

Gosh that radiator is killing me.... why did they use the fuckton of smaller radiators with small pc fans instead of some kind of larger radiator one (automotive one?) .

Because sponsors and knowledge. They'd probably have to get a consult if they were going to integrate an automotive rad to a PC watercooling loop

I really like this project. It is unique and you're sticking with it. 

I want to offer you guys some help. Pretty hard to offer without coming across as a keyboard hero, but here it is anyway. I've never built a whole room water cooling system either, but what I have done is many different types of flow loops similar to this. I work for a research company specializing in fluid dynamics. 

If you would like to come and have a look at what we do, I'd be happy to show you around and lend some help. Place is called Coanda R&D and we're located in Burnaby. http://www.coanda.ca/ 

Shoot me a pm or email if you're interested. If only perhaps to get some inspiration on different things you could try for when you move. 

Just registered for a few ideas (some of which have been covered already), as I posted on the 5b youtube vid:

Love the concept, I really do, but the execution could have used some more planning!  The head pressure on the pump(s) should have been taken into account, liquid to liquid heat exchangers would have isolated each of the computers to their own water supply while utilizing the cooling of the room system (and made it incredibly easy to swap from local rad to room cooling for many computers), the radiator setup (while awesome to see) would have been better served by a copper car radiator or two with matching fans and a PWM controller for cooling performance, and the soldering could use some work!  I'm available to fly up to Canada and help with the next setup after the move. :D

This really is an awesome idea, I'd like to see it done up nicely after the move!

Please do not stand on the bathtub like that again. That was bad.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

liquid to liquid heat exchangers would have isolated each of the computers to their own water supply while utilizing the cooling of the room system (and made it incredibly easy to swap from local rad to room cooling for many computers),

I think this is the only way to go combinded with an high pressure system like a boiler-system it would be perfekt.

How long until Part 5c-1?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Are you ever going to finish and make that loop work as intended ? :)

I was wondering, why not buy a pre-built system with a heat exchanging + pump?

Something like a Chiller or a water-water cooler?

Would it be just becaus of the price, would it really be cheaper in the end?

• 2 weeks later...

is there going to another video to this series? part 5c, or part six. or is this or is ltt just going to revisit this idea when they move? or is it just dead all together??

• CPU: AMD FX-8350   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(rev 4.0)   RAM: 8GBs of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz   GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU   Case: Corsair 750D   Storage: Adata 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU: Corsair 750w   Display(s): [ASUS VG248QE 144Hz], [ASUS VE247H]   Cooling: Corsair H100i   Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70   Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

is there going to another video to this series? part 5c, or part six. or is this or is ltt just going to revisit this idea when they move? or is it just dead all together??

My guess is dead. It was poorly implemented from the start and was neglected and forgotten about. It's sad that this series brought me to the forum, yet now it's the thing driving me away from lack of interest. 

• 2 months later...

No more vids from this series? I'm sad...