Objective 2 Equalizer?

So, I've had an ASUS Xonar Essence STX for several years now and I've absolutely loved it but I've wanted to upgrade to an external DAC for a while; Just to take that extra step to cut out noise and interference from the rest of the components in my PC. As it happened, circumstances forced my hand to do that a little sooner than I had wanted due to a bad PCI Express slot. So the Xonar card will be going to my boyfriend and I've ordered an Objective 2 from Mayflower Electronics and it's on it's way as we speak.

The model I got has the DAC and Amp built into the same case and even has RCA jacks that double as in and out and the power in the rear. It has everything I could ask for... except I prefer equalizing. I love the virtual equalizer that comes with ASUS's higher end sound cards and it's the one thing that was really keeping me from moving on. I've been looking for a virtual, stand alone equalizer for years that would let me equalize any DAC or sound card I want but have been unsuccessful and because the DAC and amp are built together in the Objective 2 that means I can't put a physical equalizer between them.

Do I have any options? Does anyone know of a virtual equalizer out there or maybe a physical one that will except an amplified input?

I've been afraid to ask because I really would like to avoid an argument about equalizing vs. not. I'm not interested in having that conversation yet it tends to pop up anywhere the word “equalizer” is uttered. So can we please not go down that road.

So, I've had an ASUS Xonar Essence STX for several years now and I've absolutely loved it but I've wanted to upgrade to an external DAC for a while; Just to take that extra step to cut out noise and interference from the rest of the components in my PC. As it happened, circumstances forced my hand to do that a little sooner than I had wanted due to a bad PCI Express slot. So the Xonar card will be going to my boyfriend and I've ordered an Objective 2 from Mayflower Electronics and it's on it's way as we speak.

The model I got has the DAC and Amp built into the same case and even has RCA jacks that double as in and out and the power in the rear. It has everything I could ask for... except I prefer equalizing. I love the virtual equalizer that comes with ASUS's higher end sound cards and it's the one thing that was really keeping me from moving on. I've been looking for a virtual, stand alone equalizer for years that would let me equalize any DAC or sound card I want but have been unsuccessful and because the DAC and amp are built together in the Objective 2 that means I can't put a physical equalizer between them.

Do I have any options? Does anyone know of a virtual equalizer out there or maybe a physical one that will except an amplified input?

I've been afraid to ask because I really would like to avoid an argument about equalizing vs. not. I'm not interested in having that conversation yet it tends to pop up anywhere the word “equalizer” is uttered. So can we please not go down that road.

Wow, it's the first time I've seen a woman pay attention so much for audio (assuming you're a woman. if not, it's all good :) )

Try googling for VST plugin equalizer. I think they can run in background, serves as a master EQ. Dunno for sure, as I never use it. Foobar got good 30 bands EQ plugin that's free. 

Alternatively, get a hardware EQ. Problem is, like you said, most hardware EQ are meant to output line out signal. If it got a headphone jack, then it got it's own headphone amp, which means your O2 amp is redundant. 

Something like this will work: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Portable-Mixer-Tablets-Smartphones/dp/B00K5CFWN8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423637900&sr=8-2

The only thing I can think of is get a standalone ODAC and an O2 (not combo). Put the EQ in between. Contact mayflower, and tell him your problem. You might be able to work something out. 

Wow, it's the first time I've seen a woman pay attention so much for audio (assuming you're a woman. if not, it's all good  :) )

Try googling for VST plugin equalizer. I think they can run in background, serves as a master EQ. Dunno for sure, as I never use it. Foobar got good 30 bands EQ plugin that's free. 

Alternatively, get a hardware EQ. Problem is, like you said, most hardware EQ are meant to output line out signal. If it got a headphone jack, then it got it's own headphone amp, which means your O2 amp is redundant. 

Something like this will work: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Portable-Mixer-Tablets-Smartphones/dp/B00K5CFWN8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423637900&sr=8-2

The only thing I can think of is get a standalone ODAC and an O2 (not combo). Put the EQ in between. Contact mayflower, and tell him your problem. You might be able to work something out. 

Yeah, it's something i thought of after the fact. had i been thinking i actually would have gone with a a separate amp and DAC from Schiit and put an EQ between them but i went with the Objective 2 because of how compact it is and having three separate pieces laying around is anything but.

and i'm a guy by the way  :P intact that's me in my profile pic

Yeah, it's something i thought of after the fact. had i been thinking i actually would have gone with a a separate amp and DAC from Schiit and put an EQ between them but i went with the Objective 2 because of how compact it is and having three separate pieces laying around is anything but.

and i'm a guy by the way  :P intact that's me in my profile pic

Yeah, best I could think of is 3 pieces of equipment. Best result, but yeah, very bulky, and kinda overkill. If the EQ is for music only, then use Foobar, and download the 30 bands EQ plugin, all free. The EQ in foobar is actually quite good. Oh and if you're using foobar, use the WASAPI plugin. Windows' directsound is shit. You'll most probably notice the difference right away when switching to WASAPI. 

Oh about that, like I said, it's all good :)

Oh and if you're using foobar, use the WASAPI plugin. Windows' directsound is shit. You'll most probably notice the difference right away when switching to WASAPI. 

What does that plugin do?

What does that plugin do?

They're both audio APIs, basically they handle the pipeline between audio applications and hardware.

WASAPI supposedly ensures a bit-accurate stream, as it doesn't allows Windows sounds and other applications to monkey with the data.

Yeah, best I could think of is 3 pieces of equipment. Best result, but yeah, very bulky, and kinda overkill. If the EQ is for music only, then use Foobar, and download the 30 bands EQ plugin, all free. The EQ in foobar is actually quite good. Oh and if you're using foobar, use the WASAPI plugin. Windows' directsound is shit. You'll most probably notice the difference right away when switching to WASAPI. 

Oh about that, like I said, it's all good :)

what i want to do is equalize every sound that comes out of my computer. i'm in film school and tend to watch quite a few movies so i like to jack up the bass and mids a bit and get that nice, punchy theater sound.

there's a program called "Virtual Audio Cables". it's basically a virtual audio mixer that takes multiple audio sources from your PC and puts them all out into one. you'd think there would be something similar in the way of an equalizer.

if i had any programming skills at all i'd just make it myself. i can't be the only person on the planet who would want something like this.

I don't use an EQ, and if I do I'll use the built in EQ on your sound drivers/media player.

Dammit.  Well, it was worth a try.  Just trying to help the OP.  Haha.  :)

My PC specifications are in my profile.

what i want to do is equalize every sound that comes out of my computer. i'm in film school and tend to watch quite a few movies so i like to jack up the bass and mids a bit and get that nice, punchy theater sound.

there's a program called "Virtual Audio Cables". it's basically a virtual audio mixer that takes multiple audio sources from your PC and puts them all out into one. you'd think there would be something similar in the way of an equalizer.

if i had any programming skills at all i'd just make it myself. i can't be the only person on the planet who would want something like this.

IMO best way to do that is to use PC's DAC => hardware EQ => amp. I think windows' directsound is the one that's making it hard for programmers to do a universal EQ that affects all. EQs from soundcard drivers are most probably placed after the directsound in the chain, i.e. directsound => soundcard driver EQ => soundcard hardware. That's why it can be universal. EQs from applications are placed before the directsound, i.e. EQ => directsound => sound device. It's therefore restricted to affect said applications only.

I don't use an EQ, and if I do I'll use the built in EQ on your sound drivers/media player.

REnzSjt.jpg