Define R4, Haswell, & 760 Build

Makaseo

The Corsair Link 2 software is nice and easy to use and if you connect your front case fan's to the H100i you can get control with them better.  When the H100i fan's ramp up as needed so does my front fan's, very handy.

BTW be careful with your power supply, seems its not been fully tested with Haswell but it should be ok.

Cry Havoc!

Looks really nice and clean, you can get a Xigmatek Night Hawk for about 50$, it performs very well for its price and it's matte black so it will look pretty epic in your PC :).

This may sound kinda silly, but until I get more white accents inside, I like how the white hard drive trays look :D And unless I'm horribly mistaken, it allows enough airflow for my current stock clocks.

Would getting a pair of the SP120 quiet editions be good enough for the H100i?

I have done sillier things, trust me. :lol:

And yes, it really shouldn't be a problem airflow-wise, my thinking was more along

the lines of "why have something in your rig which you don't need", but if you

need it to provide some contrast I say fair enough. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yay! R4! Clean build man, looks awesome. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

The Corsair Link 2 software is nice and easy to use and if you connect your front case fan's to the H100i you can get control with them better.  When the H100i fan's ramp up as needed so does my front fan's, very handy.

BTW be careful with your power supply, seems its not been fully tested with Haswell but it should be ok.

Hadn't thought about that. Sounds like it might be a bit of a cable management effort, but might be worth it, thanks!

Looks really nice and clean, you can get a Xigmatek Night Hawk for about 50$, it performs very well for its price and it's matte black so it will look pretty epic in your PC :).

That does look nice. Do you know if you can have two third-party fans on either side? I'm thinking dual white fans on that would look great.

That does look nice. Do you know if you can have two third-party fans on either side? I'm thinking dual white fans on that would look great.

It comes with 8 rubber fan mounts so you can mount any two 120mm fans AFAIK :).

Found a video by Logan :):

Well, jesus. I might go for this one then. On that note, are there any white-bladed pressure-optimized fans out there? I'm kind of excited now.

Well, jesus. I might go for this one then. On that note, are there any white-bladed pressure-optimized fans out there? I'm kind of excited now.

I know NoiseBlocker, Fractal (like the ones that came with your case), NZXT and Arctic Cooling all have white bladed fans but I can't say I have ever used any of them but I have heard good things about the NoiseBlocker e-loops.

I don't get why everyone is buying the Evga Gtx 760 , The msi gtx 760 looks waaay better and has a better cooler + it overklocks better check my build log (link in singature) how to MSI one looks but overal a really nice build

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

I don't get why everyone is buying the Evga Gtx 760 , The msi gtx 760 looks waaay better and has a better cooler + it overklocks better check my build log (link in singature) how to MSI one looks but overal a really nice build

That wouldn't have fit well in this build...

Nice and clean build! Good work :) I highly recommend that you get new CPU cooler  :D

Nice and clean build! Good work :) I highly recommend that you get new CPU cooler  :D

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely working on replacing that stock cooler.

Sexy build like the the matching of colours with the GPU and with the white fan. I'm thinking of using this case myself going to try and go for a black/silver build. BUt really nice build and a really nice set up as well nice and clean with a lot of space :D 

Sexy build like the the matching of colours with the GPU and with the white fan. I'm thinking of using this case myself going to try and go for a black/silver build. BUt really nice build and a really nice set up as well nice and clean with a lot of space :D

Thanks! You should definitely go for it, I'm really enjoying this case.

Hey, I've got nearly the same build as you, but i'm debating over which 760 to get. That particular cooler by EVGA would match my build perfectly, but the one fan design seems like it would be loud. What is your opinion of it so far? If they put out a double-fan one like on this 670 I would jump on it, but I doubt they will with the new ACX coolers. I'm leaning towards the new gigabyte windforce design, it seems to be the quietest 760, and it will probably still match the motherboard.

Just tested a lighting strip today, this picture has finally made this build feel real lol. There's a temporary msi 7770 in there, and the cooler is an nzxt havik 140:

x79Wp7i.jpg

Hey, I've got nearly the same build as you, but i'm debating over which 760 to get. That particular cooler by EVGA would match my build perfectly, but the one fan design seems like it would be loud. What is your opinion of it so far? If they put out a double-fan one like on this 670 I would jump on it, but I doubt they will with the new ACX coolers. I'm leaning towards the new gigabyte windforce design, it seems to be the quietest 760, and it will probably still match the motherboard.

Just tested a lighting strip today, this picture has finally made this build feel real lol. There's a temporary msi 7770 in there, and the cooler is an nzxt havik 140:

x79Wp7i.jpg

Sweet mother of mercy. I think I need to get white lighting now. If you don't mind me asking, what strips are you using there?

As for the EVGA reference cooler, it does have that faint grinding noise that's annoying at idle and even more annoying at load. It looks nice and all but I'm returning it for a better one (maybe ACX, I don't know yet). I think the Windforce cooler would look amazing in your build with the silver fins and black shroud matching your CPU heatsink.

That wouldn't have fit well in this build...

Why not ? at first i had the same thought but then i installed it in my case and it looks extremely stylish and sexy and it's waaay cooler and quieter then the evga version

Why not ? at first i had the same thought but then i installed it in my case and it looks extremely stylish and sexy and it's waaay cooler and quieter then the evga version

I'm sure it looks awesome in your case, but I wanted a more minimalist look as a kind of theme in mine. The visible heatpipes on the MSI's is a big reason why I went for the simpler EVGA version instead.

I'm sure it looks awesome in your case, but I wanted a more minimalist look as a kind of theme in mine. The visible heatpipes on the MSI's is a big reason why I went for the simpler EVGA version instead.

If u want a clean look then u made allot of sence but i went with a more agressive look :) but your system also looks awesome 

Sweet mother of mercy. I think I need to get white lighting now. If you don't mind me asking, what strips are you using there?

As for the EVGA reference cooler, it does have that faint grinding noise that's annoying at idle and even more annoying at load. It looks nice and all but I'm returning it for a better one (maybe ACX, I don't know yet). I think the Windforce cooler would look amazing in your build with the silver fins and black shroud matching your CPU heatsink.

I bought a big spool of the stuff from amazon. It's a lot cheaper than the strips that case accessory manufacturers make, but you have to do some wiring. Right now I have the majority of the spool stuffed inside at the bottom and the end of the strip secured around the window using scotch tape. The spool comes with a female 5.5mm barrel plug that works with my external hard drive's 12v AC adapter, and that's what's powering it now.

When I find time, I'm going to cut the strips to length, solder short wires in between them, and hook it all up using this male barrel connector (cut off the USB bit), this PCI bracket switch, and an old molex adapter. Hopefully it won't be too messy, as the switch wiring should be just inside the window's view. So yeah it's going to take a lot more work than the kits that you can daisy chain together with fan header plugs, but I still have like 250 LEDs spare to do other stuff with because I bought it in bulk.

Glad to hear my thoughts on the GPU cooler weren't unfounded. Here's Ryan Shrout's thoughts on the 760 ACX cooler:

The twin fan design should allow for quieter operation than the reference units but it’s obvious that EVGA did not use the same quality parts in the cooler of the GTX 760 as they did with the GTX 780 SC we have from them.  While much cooler temperature wise, the ACX isn’t any quieter than the reference designs.

He hasn't got a hold on the windforce one, but from the pics on newegg it looks like the metal windforce cooler on the 760 is also a cheaper version of the one found on the 770 and 780. The closest I could find to numbers on the 760 cooler is from guru3d, who tested the plastic shroud / blue PCB version, and they thought it was pretty damn quiet. The plastic cooler actually looks pretty similar to the metal one, it could be that just the shroud is changed, so the metal one could be just as quiet:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_gigabyte_windforce_review,7.html

And here's their ACX review, which confirms Ryan Shrout's findings of it being as loud as the Stock cooler:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_evga_superclocked_acx_review,7.html

sorry for the long post, this is basically all my research so far :P

If u want a clean look then u made allot of sence but i went with a more agressive look :) but your system also looks awesome 

Yes, it also matches his colour scheme better, having a random red line in a black and white build wouldn't look too good.

I bought a big spool of the stuff from amazon. It's a lot cheaper than the strips that case accessory manufacturers make, but you have to do some wiring. Right now I have the majority of the spool stuffed inside at the bottom and the end of the strip secured around the window using scotch tape. The spool comes with a female 5.5mm barrel plug that works with my external hard drive's 12v AC adapter, and that's what's powering it now.

When I find time, I'm going to cut the strips to length, solder short wires in between them, and hook it all up using this male barrel connector (cut off the USB bit), this PCI bracket switch, and an old molex adapter. Hopefully it won't be too messy, as the switch wiring should be just inside the window's view. So yeah it's going to take a lot more work than the kits that you can daisy chain together with fan header plugs, but I still have like 250 LEDs spare to do other stuff with because I bought it in bulk.

Glad to hear my thoughts on the GPU cooler weren't unfounded. Here's Ryan Shrout's thoughts on the 760 ACX cooler:

He hasn't got a hold on the windforce one, but from the pics on newegg it looks like the metal windforce cooler on the 760 is also a cheaper version of the one found on the 770 and 780. The closest I could find to numbers on the 760 cooler is from guru3d, who tested the plastic shroud / blue PCB version, and they thought it was pretty damn quiet. The plastic cooler actually looks pretty similar to the metal one, it could be that just the shroud is changed, so the metal one could be just as quiet:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_gigabyte_windforce_review,7.html

And here's their ACX review, which confirms Ryan Shrout's findings of it being as loud as the Stock cooler:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_evga_superclocked_acx_review,7.html

sorry for the long post, this is basically all my research so far :P

Not at all, thanks for the info.

Strange, though. Guru3D said pretty much the same thing about the ACX version. The descriptions are word-for-word identical...?

As for the PCPer article, I'm fine with identical decibel readings from the two cards. My only concern is the nature of the sound itself. I'd much prefer the noise of blowing air over the faint grind of a fan motor. Reading up on the ACX cooler, it seems like a few places like PCPer think that it's not any different, while others argue that it's "whisper-quiet." I wish I could demo them in a store...

Edit: That aside, that Gigabyte does look good and would go very well with your build. I'd go for it if I were you.

I'm also considering just getting one strip of Bitfenix Alchemy and seeing how that goes. I wonder if one strip is enough for a good effect.