Define R4, Haswell, & 760 Build

Makaseo

I've always helped out my friends build their gaming desktops, but never really built one for myself. I've always had a laptop so that I could carry it around, but I finally decided to get me a decent rig for gaming and some music production in Ableton Live. I really like how it turned out, with the exception of some minor things I'm already thinking about fixing (this is turning out to be an addictive money sink). Tell me what you guys think!

Main Specs:

i5-4670k

Update: XigmatekDarkKnightTwoNightHawkEdition

Gigabyte Z87-UD3H

EVGA GTX 760 Update: ACX Cooler

Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz

Corsair CX500M

Other Stuff:

500GB Seagate 7200RPM (salvaged)

1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

1TB Samsung 5400RPM (salvaged)

7/9/2013--UPDATE: Now with 100% more CPU cooler and 100% more GPU fans!!!

And here comes the actual build log with pics:

Unfortunately, only case came first ahead of all the other parts...

AlCMw0Ah.jpg

At least all the other parts came on the same day.

Y18WBqIh.jpg

Making sure everything's running fine before sticking it all in the case first, as Linus-sensei told me to do:

UslnDJMh.jpg

Was a bit annoyed to see that there was a small bend on my power supply, but it's really a non-issue (I'm surprised I even caught it). I'm not too worried about it at all, just a little surprised.

NCliBMSh.jpg

Everything put in except the graphics card and the hard drives...

drPOamqh.jpg

I'm fairly certain I just let the GPU sit there and just stared at it for a good long while.

r1T6mtTh.jpg

When I first saw videos on the Define R4, I always thought the rotatable hard drive cage was one of the coolest features. I decided to move the case fan up a slot and take advantage of this magic:

lzoqbgXh.jpg

Finally, everything plugged in and set up properly. Hopefully these pictures aren't getting too repetitive.

8ZQoD6ih.jpg

I thought cable management would be easy, but getting everything exactly how I wanted took a bit of effort (big surprise there). Easily the most time spent out of all the other parts of the process. But it didn't turn out too bad, did it?

STtn1QWh.jpg

Had absolutely no idea what to do with the two annoying 8-pin plugs apart from snipping the extra pins off, but I made do with just... ziptying them.

kCPDeZTh.jpg

And then I had myself my first real desktop. I forgot to take a picture of the Windows installation naming step, but since every machine needs a good name, I dubbed her "Fiora."

cJcKmVgh.jpg

Realized near the end of my build that my computer sorta matches my speakers!

Sp07Sjkh.jpg

I'm already planning on:

1. Getting rid of that damn stock cooler. Don't really want to spend more than $80~ though.

2. Getting an SSD to replace that 2.5" boot drive (aha! thought ahead on that one).

3. Perhaps another case fan at the front for positive pressure (really dislike the idea of dust) and/or better temps if it gets high during long hours of gaming.

Thanks for checking out my build! Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions.

Sexy desk

You should get the custom sleeved 24 pin extension and remove the unused hdd cage for better airflow

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

The build looks nice and clean, all black with a hint of silver from the GPU side, fan's and hhd case sides works nice.

There's plenty of air cpu coolers for less then $80, but you might what to think about going for a water cooler kit like the Corsair H100i as you can see a difference when gaming. 

Cry Havoc!

1. Getting rid of that damn stock cooler. Don't really want to spend more than $80~ though.

I recently got a Cooler Master Hyper Tx3 and can certainly recommend it. It looks pretty good imo and works very well for the money (dropped my idle and max temps by 20C compared to stock).

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz | Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz 16GB (2x8) | GPU: Msi GTX 680 Twin Frozr  | HDD: 2 x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB 2.5" | MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77, Socket-1155 | PSU: XFX ProSeries Black Edition 1050W PSU | CASE: NZXT Phantom Special Edition Pink

Sexy desk

You should get the custom sleeved 24 pin extension and remove the unused hdd cage for better airflow

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely looking into new sleeved cables. Would removing the unused cage really help that much? I kind of like it in there and turning it sideways seems to free it up mostly, but I could be wrong.

The build looks nice and clean, all black with a hint of silver from the GPU side, fan's and hhd case sides works nice.

There's plenty of air cpu coolers for less then $80, but you might what to think about going for a water cooler kit like the Corsair H100i as you can see a difference when gaming. 

I was looking at the H100i, but I've heard it's quite loud... I'm trying to keep my build as silent as possible. Would you happen to know if this is true?

I recently got a Cooler Master Hyper Tx3 and can certainly recommend it. It looks pretty good imo and works very well for the money (dropped my idle and max temps by 20C compared to stock).

My friend also has one and it works great for him as well! Seems like amazing value for money. Unfortunately, the color of the heatpipes is what throws me off... I'm one of those guys.

get a h70 its like $30 at newegg.

Strange, but the H70 is sold out for me right now D:

what speakers are you using

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Nice build, me likey. :)

Why not just get rid of the upper HDD cage entirely since you don't really need it?

I was looking at the H100i, but I've heard it's quite loud... I'm trying to keep my build as silent as possible. Would you happen to know if this is true?

The stock fans can turn up quite high and cause some significant noise, so if you

want it really silent you'd need to buy some other fans AFAIK.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

It can be but with the 4670k cpu it can get hot when over clocking, am working on a 4.4ghz overclock and with the Corsair H100i it reaches mid 50's to low 60's under load, its the pump you hear most of the time, am using a custom curve to control the fan's of the h100's and GPU.  When under load it can get a but loud but then when playing games but I don't really hear it over the noise of the game/music am playing.

When am watching video's or TV on the computer I don't hear anything from the H100i.

the loudest bit of the H100i for me is when I switch the computer on the Pump and fan's are at 100% for 1-2 secs till it goes to post then boots up to windows 8, after that its quiet till am gaming. try to to keep the fan's under 1200 rpm and you don't hear it much.  But this depends on your case, I have a Deep silence one (its similar to fractal designs R4)

Cry Havoc!

What Desk is that?

I'm a undercover agent posing as CoolBeans. Also I am a massive scrub

what speakers are you using

They're a pair of Yamaha HS50M's - I do a bit of music work.

Dat physics book xD Looks like a nice clean set up well done :P

Thanks! I appreciate it :D

Nice build, me likey. :)

Why not just get rid of the upper HDD cage entirely since you don't really need it?

The stock fans can turn up quite high and cause some significant noise, so if you

want it really silent you'd need to buy some other fans AFAIK.

This may sound kinda silly, but until I get more white accents inside, I like how the white hard drive trays look :D And unless I'm horribly mistaken, it allows enough airflow for my current stock clocks.

Would getting a pair of the SP120 quiet editions be good enough for the H100i?

It can be but with the 4670k cpu it can get hot when over clocking, am working on a 4.4ghz overclock and with the Corsair H100i it reaches mid 50's to low 60's under load, its the pump you hear most of the time, am using a custom curve to control the fan's of the h100's and GPU.  When under load it can get a but loud but then when am playing games but I don't really hear it over the noise of the game.

When am watching video's or TV on the computer I don't hear anything from the H100i.

the loud's bit of the H100i for me is when I switch the computer on the Pump and fan's are at 100% for 1-2 secs till it goes to post then boots up to windows 8, after that its quiet till am gaming. try to to keep the fan's under 1200 rpm and you don't hear it much.  But this depends on your case, I have a Deep silence one (its similar to fractal designs R4)

Appreciate the input! I'll definitely keep all this in mind, seriously considering the H100i now.

What Desk is that?

I have no idea. I jacked it from my Dad a few years ago when he bought himself a fancy new one. There's a sticker under the desk that says "BUSH Business Furniture" but no model number or anything... :\ 

Dang you should have opted for the 7950 :/ its only like $10-$20 more than the 760

But I think the good looks of the EVGA GPU better compliments your case than the 7950.

Dang you should have opted for the 7950 :/ its only like $10-$20 more than the 760 But I think the good looks of the EVGA GPU better compliments your case than the 7950.

Definitely debated between those two cards for a good long while... but like you said, I went for the EVGA because of looks X__X. I'm starting to regret missing out on the Never Settle bundle though!