Pc build for my mother

Rodneyg87

I've been coming on here and asking opinions on a few different parts for a while now on a build that I am planning for my mother and well I am about to the point of being able to pull the trigger on it. The exact date of this will be early march since thats when I will get my next student loan check so in 3-4 weeks. I want to know if anyone has a way to possibly improving this while staying within my budget for her computer. Someone did recommend a NUC but when I presented her with the option she shot it down immediately so a desktop it is.

Purpose- General internet browsing, standard office work, facebook flash games and youtube videos.

Budget- $300-350 unfortunately I will not have the funds available to go over that since personally just for a computer that will not see a single day of heavy use there honestly is no point.

OS/periphs- not needed since I already have a fresh windows 7 key given to me by my old school that I plan to use for hers and periphs she has her own keyboard, mouse, and monitor from her old desktop that she plans to use.

I know an APU isn't that great but it keeps me from having to either buy her a higher end cpu or buy a stand alone GPU hence brings the cost of the overall system down. The plan is to when I upgrade I just give her my old system here in 2-3 years so it just has to be relevant for a short time.

As for the rest of the system I just went with what seemed to be decent without going overboard except for the PSU which I am very unsure of but when I went into pc part picker and selected micro ATX it only brought up two choices so I went with the most expensive of the two which was what is listed. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus A78M-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($49.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: HEC Vigilance MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Logisys 350W Micro ATX Power Supply  ($20.98 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($11.35 @ Newegg) 
Total: $306.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 02:43 EST-0500

*CHOMP*

Looks good, but is 8GB of ram necessary? Although 63$ is damn cheap for 8GB.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Looks good

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Why not go for a 256 GB SSD instead of a 1 TB HDD?

Does she really need the 1TB? Or can't you add that later or something?

SDD will cause the system to last a LOT longer

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Why not go for a 256 GB SSD instead of a 1 TB HDD?

Does she really need the 1TB? Or can't you add that later or something?

SDD will cause the system to last a LOT longer

When I tried to show her a build with just an SSD she shot it down because she feels she needs 500+ gigs of storage and im not willing to come out of pocket for something that expensive if she isn't going to really be taking advantage of its speed. That is also why it has a disc drive as well, she has it in her mind that its a must.

I figure when I get the extra cash later I'll throw in a 120gb SSD later and just stick with 1TB to make her happy.

Now mind I am only doing this since her old laptop took a crap on her and she gave me one of two choices either I pay to build her a new pc or I pay for the laptop she got from Aarons right after the laptop went to shit which is $1,160.00 at $109 a month which I refuse to do on a pre-built HP laptop with a 1.5Ghz APU with 8gb of RAM and only a 450gb HDD. She feels her old laptop taking a crap on her is my fault since it went to shit a month after I did some updates on it and well as everyone here should know you never argue with your mother cause she will make you pay in the end. Her old laptop was a piece of crap one from Aarons that she bought back in 2010 and payed over $1,000 for it.

Looks good, but is 8GB of ram necessary? Although 63$ is damn cheap for 8GB.

Yea I figured why not 8gb since 4 was like $45 and plus its an APU which utilizes system RAM so 8gb should be alright.

I also have one more question is the stock cooler on an APU good enough to handle cooling it at stock clock or should I invest in a new cooler as well?

There are not many alternatives, $5 in rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($100.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Pareema 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.79 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake VO545A1N2U ATX Mid Tower Case w/450W Power Supply  ($40.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $310.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 03:09 EST-0500

Is she gonna get anywhere near filling a 1TB HD?

There are not many alternatives, $5 in rebates:

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.89 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.79 @ OutletPC)

Case: Thermaltake VO545A1N2U ATX Mid Tower Case w/450W Power Supply  ($40.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $310.58

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 03:09 EST-0500

Nice I didn't even think about that route, but will the onboard graphics be good enough for standard use and flash games? Reason I ask is until I upgrade and give her the cpu, mobo, and gpu that will be going into my rig I dont want to waste the money on a gpu if it'll never see a day of actual heavy use.

Nice I didn't even think about that route, but will the onboard graphics be good enough for standard use and flash games? Reason I ask is until I upgrade and give her the cpu, mobo, and gpu that will be going into my rig I dont want to waste the money on a gpu if it'll never see a day of actual heavy use.

Yes.  YES.  :)

@Rodneyg87 Single monitor?  She is not running dual screens or anything?

@Rodneyg87 I would even cut it down to 500GB HD and save $15... 1TB is way too much.

-snip-

Seems fine. You can always go for a SSD later on when you decide to install W10 or whatever

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I am gonna recommend something that will save you time and headache the the day arrives.

Install windows, do all the updates.  Load any programs she wants and uses.  Then use "Clonezilla" to save a clone of the drive.  Anytime something goes wrong, you backup the pictures and documents she has accumulated and load the disc image.  Takes me about 10 minutes writing to an SSD, but it is effortless.

Either use an external drive, or partition the drive (30-40GB), make sure the disc image goes in there.

Yes.  YES.  :)

@Rodneyg87 Single monitor?  She is not running dual screens or anything?

@Rodneyg87 I would even cut it down to 500GB HD and save $15... 1TB is way too much.

Yea single monitor only its only an old 17 inch flat panel she has laying around. And as for the storage the difference between a 500gb WD Caviar Blue $38.99 which is the cheapest 7200 RPM 500gb drive on there and the 1TB Seagate is only $43.79 its only about $5 so it doesn't make sense not to go 1TB at that cost.

Though I am paying for all of this it does carry one major advantage though. I have not built a computer since 2009 and I am planning a $1,300 build of my own when that next student loan check comes in as well and doing hers first gives me a little practice so I don't risk messing mine up lol.

I changed the motherboard so you can make use of the USB 3.0 on the case:

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $315.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 03:29 EST-0500

Change the Power supply imediatly. http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012This is a nice evga one. PSU is the area you dont want to skimp out on. Even if its a basic office pc still dont

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

lol, that is almost 1/6 of the budget.

yeah that is true but in the end its worth it. It would cost more to replace the components than to keep them safe

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

yeah that is true but in the end its worth it. It would cost more to replace the components than to keep them safe

This isn't a gaming computer so the psu will never see anything over 200 watts of draw. I know not to skimp on it but I am also planning a micro atx build for this pc would that EVGA one even fit in a micro atx mini case? Plus the more I up the budget the less of a budget I will have for my gaming pc that I will be ordering the same day.

This isn't a gaming computer so the psu will never see anything over 200 watts of draw. I know not to skimp on it but I am also planning a micro atx build for this pc would that EVGA one even fit in a micro atx case? Plus the more I up the budget the less of a budget I will have for my gaming pc that I will be ordering the same day.

The evga will fit but i found a cheaper psu that is a brand name and will fit http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-bp430