Does this noise mean my power supply is about to die?

I just got home from work and the first thing I noticed when I got in my room was this noise coming from my PC.

Is it safe to say that my power supplies final hour has arrived or can it just be that there is something inside causing it to make that noise?

I have owned this power supply for almost 4 years now so I doubt it is still under warranty. Should I just start shopping for another one?

Thanks

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I would say it's just your fan. Maybe a bearing problem, or something a long those lines.

You might be able to replace it, or get a RMA if it's in warranty. 

I'm pretty sure electrical components have no way of making a noise like that. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I would say it's just your fan. Maybe a bearing problem, or something a long those lines.

You might be able to replace it, or get a RMA if it's in warranty. 

I'll open the PSU to take a look then.

Is it safe to use my PC while its making that noise?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I'll open the PSU to take a look then.

Is it safe to use my PC while its making that noise?

I wouldn't, but as @Mushious said, something could of fallen in it. (Well, fallen in it, since the fan is on the bottom)

Just watch out, make sure you leave your PSU unconnected for a while, electrical components  (Caps ) in PSUs can be deadly if not discharged. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I wouldn't, but as @Mushious said, something could of fallen in it. (Well, fallen in it, since the fan is on the bottom)

Just watch out, make sure you leave your PSU unconnected for a while, electrical components  (Caps ) in PSUs can be deadly if not discharged. 

@X1XNobleX1X (is quoting fixed yet?), leave it off and unplugged for at least 24 hours before attempting.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

@X1XNobleX1X (is quoting fixed yet?), leave it off and unplugged for at least 24 hours before attempting.

I'm getting notifications, so I think it's fixed.

Sounds like something has fallen into the fan.

Okay so I took out the power supply and before I opened it I powered it on and turn it on its side and the noise went away. Then I turned it back how I had it before and the noise came back. So I think there is something loose in there like you said.

I think I will leave it unplugged over night and and open it in the morning because I don't feel like getting shocked rightnow. 

Spoiler

-

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Do not open the psu and attempt maintenance yourself if you are not very well-versed in the working of electricity and electrical components. Some large caps can keep charge for days and will give you no indication that they are discharged. Even at times it is required to discharge the caps manually before working on anything.

If you are unsure about what to do then LEAVE IT because it CAN KILL YOU!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Do not open the psu and attempt maintenance yourself if you are not very well-versed in the working of electricity and electrical components. Some large caps can keep charge for days and will give you no indication that they are discharged. Even at times it is required to discharge the caps manually before working on anything.

If you are unsure about what to do then LEAVE IT because it CAN KILL YOU!

Thanks for the warning.

I only plan on seeing if there is anything loose and maybe if the fan has dirt or dust on it and spray air in there. I know some electrical engineering but not enough to attempt to fix this issue myself.

Spoiler

-

Thanks for the warning.

I only plan on seeing if there is anything loose and maybe if the fan has dirt or dust on it and spray air in there. I know some electrical engineering but not enough to attempt to fix this issue myself.

If it's working on it's side silently, it's either got something knocking against the fan or the bearings are shot. If it's the bearings, you can always replace the fan.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Thanks for the warning.

Just leave your PSU unplugged and make the paper clip method as if you were going to turn it on, and leave a fan or some LED lights connected to it, they will not turn on (obviously) but they will discharge any charged capacitor left. It is ok to have some respect to electricity and if you dont know how to handle it you better keep yourself away from doing this kind of things, if you had all your PC components still attached to your PSU, 10 to 15 minutes would be enough time (doing the same paper clip method) to fully discharge your caps.

YES they will slowly discharge themselves but when you force the electricity to go out (at extremely low rate still) they will discharge pretty quick, electricity wont just simply disappear, it must be used in some way, the fastest way it to short the cap leads but when soldered to a pcb it could damage the other components so, "force" the electricity out. With the fan or LED strips attached, it should be discharged by tomorrow morning 6-7hours

And i know what im talking about, i do study electrical engineering and everything i said have been proved by myself, tested with multimeter and everything

P.S. I dont want to get you or anyone bored, just wanted to share a tought and maybe a tip or two to anyone who could use it.

BTW if it is something loose, just shake the PSU and find out, if it is your fan, just change it, normally they are 2pin fans (just voltage) and are controlled that way, the cheapest 120mm fan should do the job, and 4 years seems a reasonable time for a fan to die.

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1