Headset+modmic+souncard or Gaming headset

PacMans

i have  been looking for a new headset/headphones and i'm torn between either getting a headphones + mic or the sennhesiers game zero ?

i will mainly be using these to game and will be playing CS GO so footsteps will be a must to hear/ closed/open headsets do not bother me 

my price is 300$

Here are two great videos on creating your own gaming headsets.

Gaming Headsets Suck - Make Your Own For $50 or Less

Make Your Own Gaming Headset - $200-$1000 (High-End)

Sig under construction.

What mobo are you running? Since a lot of the gaming oriented ones nowadays are coming with great onboard audio making a discrete sound card obsolete, especially for CSGO.

When in doubt, re-format.

I saw someday the Sennheiser Game Zero for 140Euros. At that price, they're great. However, if you can't find them at that price, i would suggest to check the Beyerdynamic DT990 (maybe with an amplifier), the Philips Fidelio X2, the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650, AKG 7XX (massdrop), AKG 712 (if you can find them ~330), Audio Technica AD900X or 1000X, HiFiMAN HE-400 (they are heavy), AKG K550. 

(my vote goes for the DT990s)

If you can find any of them used, that would be great. The HD600/650, the AKG 712, the beyerdynamics and the HiFiMANS want an amp. They don't need one, but i believe it's worth it. 
You can choose whatever mic you like. 

I'd get headphones + a desk mic. My modmic has disappointed me thus far

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

What mobo are you running? Since a lot of the gaming oriented ones nowadays are coming with great onboard audio making a discrete sound card obsolete, especially for CSGO.

MSI MS-7693

MSI MS-7693

According to the google, this is not the real name of the mobo, its actually a 970a-g45??

Anywhoo, it seems to have an ok on-board audio solution. I'm personally of the belief that add-on sound cards are total baloney unless you require more power to drive higher impedance headphones. I would definitely recommend not getting a sound card and just getting a nice pair of cans with en external mic, or something like @SSL said like the seinheiser pc350 se

When in doubt, re-format.

I'd get headphones + a desk mic. My modmic has disappointed me thus far

How has it disappointed you?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

How has it disappointed you?

It falls off constantly (weak magnet) and the audio quality is mediocre. I'd say every headset I have ever owned has better audio quality

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

beyerdyamics custom one pro

or

audio techicas ath m50

for your mic

get a audio technicas atr 2100

soundcard an asus dx if possible

basically any asus card

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

It falls off constantly (weak magnet) and the audio quality is mediocre. I'd say every headset I have ever owned has better audio quality

Any idea how it compares to the mic on the HyperX Cloud or Cloud II?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Any idea how it compares to the mic on the HyperX Cloud or Cloud II?

I'd be willing to bet the HyperX Cloud mic sounds better, but don't quote me on that