Is my chosen psu overkill ? EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 G2

pitprok
Go to solution Solved by givingtnt,

Since its not damaging my components, keep in mind that it costs 150$ while the 850w is like 25$ cheaper.

So should i go with the cheaper one or get the 1000 (since it has a high quality i imagine that i'll be able to use it an a future build after the one i mentioned is outdated)

I missed the sli(CROSSFIRE)

Part. Bvm what i said. Get the 1000W psu

Im currently building the following build.
Intel I7 4770k
SLI Sapphire r9 290's
16gb RAM
coolermaster 212 evo for cooling
around 4 case fans

The Sapphire cards are already OC'd but in the future ill try to see if they can be OC'd more
Im going to OC the CPU to 4,5-4,5 ghz

Btw I read somewhere that if the psu is too "big", there is a chance that if it breaks, its could fry your equipment. Is it true ?

PSU

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=120-G2-1000-XR

I haven't heard that about psu's breaking because they don't have to work enough. 

Anyhow. that pus is well overkill :P an 800 watt would do you very very nicely. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Very overkill. The only bad thing about putting in EXTREMELY overkill PSUs is the loss of efficiency and money.

It's overkill but if the 850w or whatever is only $30 cheaper id just stick with it.

Not thaaaat overkill but an 850W would suffice by far.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Get the 750w or 850w model and call it a dat. 1000w is way too much and useless

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

No it's not. It's overkill, but won't fry a PC

2x290s...and headroom...

Sig under construction.

Get the 750w or 850w model and call it a dat. 1000w is way too much and useless

Not thaaaat overkill but an 850W would suffice by far.

It's overkill but if the 850w or whatever is only $30 cheaper id just stick with it.

I haven't heard that about psu's breaking because they don't have to work enough. 

Anyhow. that pus is well overkill :P an 800 watt would do you very very nicely. 

Since its not damaging my components, keep in mind that it costs 150$ while the 850w is like 25$ cheaper.

So should i go with the cheaper one or get the 1000 (since it has a high quality i imagine that i'll be able to use it an a future build after the one i mentioned is outdated)

I missed the sli(CROSSFIRE)

Part. Bvm what i said. Get the 1000W psu

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

If the difference is that small get the 1000W. PSU's highest efficiency is at 50% load so the 1000W will be slightly more efficient than the 850W (not that you'd notice really) :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

If it's only $25 just keep it.

get the cheaper 850, so long as it has at least 80+ bronze certification. 

The 1000 watt one wont give many benefits, it may be more efficient, but if you really want efficiency you can grab a gold 850w psu. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

get the cheaper 850, so long as it has at least 80+ bronze certification. 

The 1000 watt one wont give many benefits, it may be more efficient, but if you really want efficiency you can grab a gold 850w psu. 

both evga 80+ gold

2x290s...and headroom...

Oh right, you were talking about the overkill thing. I still think a decent 850W would be fine

both evga 80+ gold

The 1000W G2 doesn't have eco fan mode that you get with the 850W version. So the fan on the 1000W G2 model will spin 100% of the time. Not a huge deal but worth knowing about.

If you wanted eco mode on the 1000W you would need the P2 version.