Lens for astrophotography?

CUMZY

Sup? Im getting my first 'real' camera this month and it'll be the D3200! I've heard that the kit lens (18-55 VR II) isn't that good so im considering if i should get a separate lens?! Im such a noob when talking about cameras (i do know some stuff but not more advanced stuff) so maaan... I really wanna take photos on stars and maybe sum auroras (doesnt happen that often)..! Can i use the same lens (the one for the stars) to other things like sunsets and a lil' bit of everything or do i need something else for that? I really need some advice and i dont wanna reach over 200$ ..! Thenkzzz

post-120241-0-55063200-1423414223_thumb.

The most important thing for this kind of photography is a wide aperture lens and a nice tripod. If you need to get an exposure more than 20~30 seconds, you will need to get a tripod that has a tracking system or the earths rotation will streak the stars.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If you're on a full frame camera, 50mm would be goo. 

If you're on a crop, 35mm. 

Anything wider also works, but just keep in mind if you're on crop you'll have a 1.5/1.6 magnification so buy lenses carefully. 

Don't need IS or anything ,just something that is f/2 or faster. 

For stars you want a wide angle prime lens with a fast aperture. The wide angle will help you not streak the stars and the fast aperture will gather more light. Primes are apparently better for low light also. There is no such thing in the budget of under 200$ to my knowledge, unless you go searching for second-hand lenses. With that budget the kit-lens will do fine.

Bitfenix Shinobi Window, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Intel i5 3570k Cooled by Noctua NH-U12S, msi GTX 660 (non-ti) 2GB, Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz 8GBCorsair CX600, Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB, ASUS Xonar DGX, Windows 7 Home Premium, 1995 IBM Model M2 (buckling springs), SteelSeries Sensei RAW, Sennheiser HD 518, A 22" 1680x1050 LG TV, Samsung S27D390H 27" PLS HD Monitor, Crucial MX-100 256GB SSD, RGB Case LEDs from IKEA(no kidding)