steam OS !?

rparent

hey all, ive been looking into makeing a steam machine. i was wondering if you can get a copy of steams OS, and if i need to have windows 8 on it first? or can the steam OS be the only operating system.

case: corsair carbide air 540 motherboard: asus maximus V formula assassin  cpu: intel i7 3770k 3.5ghz cooling: corsair h100  psu: corsair gold ax750w  gpu: amd radeon 7950 3gb  ram: 8gb g.skill sniper  drives: 120gb Samsung 840 ssd, 2tb western digital black

hey all, ive been looking into makeing a steam machine. i was wondering if you can get a copy of steams OS, and if i need to have windows 8 on it first? or can the steam OS be the only operating system.

SteamOS can be the primary OS, no need to install a second. It's linux (debian) distro.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Operating Systems are installed independently. They do not rely on each other to be usable. Therefore, Steam OS can be installed by itself on a PC. You can download it here: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

thats awesome news. lol how can i go about getting a copy?

case: corsair carbide air 540 motherboard: asus maximus V formula assassin  cpu: intel i7 3770k 3.5ghz cooling: corsair h100  psu: corsair gold ax750w  gpu: amd radeon 7950 3gb  ram: 8gb g.skill sniper  drives: 120gb Samsung 840 ssd, 2tb western digital black

Hello,

Steam OS is still in Beta : http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download

if you wish to download

Here is a video if you wish to learn more:

can i install this on a usb stick? so i can install it on a brand new hard drive

It can be installed independently, yet at this current point, I would not recommend installing it. 

can i install this on a usb stick? so i can install it on a brand new hard drive

Yes, you can copy it to a flash drive and use it to install on a drive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch