Build Plan Thread Recommendations (Please read before posting)

AMD Editing/Gaming rig

Hey guys, sorry if my english is a bit poor.

Well, i need some help for two reasons, i know AMD has a better price range, but at the same time i have no idea how to see which components are better compared with NVIDIA, etc. The other reason would be because my budget is about $US600(i'm in Brazil, but converted the actual number to US).

My Aim is gaming(Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and such), video editing(nothing extreme to render) and graphic design(Photoshop and others from Adobe).

No need for peripherals or monitors in the budget, just the rig itself.

Please guys i would love to have some insights and ideas how to accomplish as soon as possible.

Thank you to everyone in here. Cheers o/

• 2 weeks later...

Case - BitFenix Comrade

Mobo - Asus B150M-A

Cpu - Intel Core i5-6500

Ram - Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8GB 2133 MHZ DDR4

Im looking to upgrade my computer somewhat like that and my budget is around 500 Dollars. If you think theres something i could change go ahead and tell me so i can improve my upcoming computer.

This is my first build, and I plan for it to be primarily light video editing, but gaming capable..  Below I have listed first the parts I have, some preferred parts, and I will then list items that I am open to. 

My budget is around $1200 USD, and while I am open to going beyond this, I would prefer to not go above $1400 USD

What I've got:

Motherboard: ASROCK Z170 EXTREME4 LGA 1151

CPU: Intel 6th Generation Core i5 6500 2.3Ghz

Preffered items:

Case: HAF XB EVO

GPU: GEFORCE GTX 970 (or higher)

Open Items:

Memory: open (DDR4 required)

Storage: open (SSD Preffered)

Power: open

Mouse: open

Keyboard: open (Cherry MX Brown Preffered)

Display: open (21:9 prefferd, single display w/ room to expand to dual)

Fans: open

CPU Cooling: open

NOTE: of the CPU and Motherboard, I already own those items, but I am open to upgrading those components within the budget.  

1. Budget & Location
I live in the US and I want to take my time and make my first PC on the side and buy the components one by one over a large period of time, but don't plan on exceeding $1000.
2. Aim

I plan on playing last gen games. Along with Sim City, Civ VI, Total War, etc. I also want to be able to do architectural work and overclocking looks advanced so i would like to avoid that if i could.

3. Monitors
I plan on using my Flat Screen temporarily and want to just keep the focus on the rig.
4. Peripherals
Windows 8 or 10 but heard that it can be acquired free but not sure where yet.
5. Why are you upgrading?
So One day i was browsing the old Youtubes and ran into a video of Linus. I was honestly shocked out of the price differences between DIY PC's and Prebuilt and I have been inspired to dip into a something new and create my first ever PC.

Checklist for My First PC Build.docx

• 3 weeks later...

Budget:$700
- Zip Code or Location:Usa
- Specific Use:1080p gaming
- Any preferred components?:
- Any spare parts you can re-use?:no
- Overclocking your processor?no
- Need an Operating System?:planing on using microsoft insider to get windows 10 free
- Need a Monitor? / Mouse? / Keyboard?:yes
- Need a Wireless Card or Adapter?yes

Cpu FX 6300 3.5Ghz 6-core

Motherbord ASRock 970M PRO3

Ram G.Skill F3-1600C11D-8GNS

Storage 1 tb hard drive

Gpu Rx 480 or gtx 970

Black/red case with window wanted

Power supply Corsair CX500

Monitor Sceptre E225W-1920

Cooler master mouse and key board

1 tb external hd for use with laptop for school

I am a video editor and looking to build my first PC for exclusively video production. Moving away from Mac and trying to learn how to build computers myself.

1. Budget & Location

Located in the USA and trying to stay around $3000 for a budget. Willing to go over for performance. 

2. Aim

I will be editing 4K footage with Adobe Premiere CC and After Effects. Possible 360-degree video and VR work in the future.

3. Monitors

Currently have one dell monitor, planning to get a 4K monitor in the future but fine for now.

4. Peripherals

Fine on peripherals expect would like a recommendation for an OS. Currently looking at Windows 7 Professional.

First time building, learning and want to be a custom high-performance video production PC. 

Below is a list of parts I have selected through PC Picker. *currently looking at an i7 5930K instead of an i7 6700k possibly

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vg2PsJ

Thanks for any help and tips!

8 hours ago, sampakk said:

I am a video editor and looking to build my first PC for exclusively video production. Moving away from Mac and trying to learn how to build computers myself.

1. Budget & Location

Located in the USA and trying to stay around $3000 for a budget. Willing to go over for performance. 

2. Aim

I will be editing 4K footage with Adobe Premiere CC and After Effects. Possible 360-degree video and VR work in the future.

3. Monitors

Currently have one dell monitor, planning to get a 4K monitor in the future but fine for now.

4. Peripherals

Fine on peripherals expect would like a recommendation for an OS. Currently looking at Windows 7 Professional.

First time building, learning and want to be a custom high-performance video production PC. 

Below is a list of parts I have selected through PC Picker. *currently looking at an i7 5930K instead of an i7 6700k possibly

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vg2PsJ

Thanks for any help and tips!

You may want something with more corrs since your editing video, I may be wrong however

I am a video editor planning to build my first PC. I will be working with 4K footage, 3D renderings, and possible VR projects.

Below is my current parts list. 

Curious to know if I should go with a i7-5960x or the Broadwell i7-6900k. Any major differences in performance between these CPU's?

Thanks!

Parts Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gZ8LD8

1. Budget & Location

Located in the USA and trying to stay around $4000 for a budget. Willing to go over for performance. 

2. Aim

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

Hello
I'm making a gaming pc with budget about 2000$.

There are some parts that I already bought(I will put a # for it)

Pc parts :

Motherboard : msi z170a gaming m5

Cpu : i7-6700k 4.0HZ 

#Cpu cooler : deepcool captain 360ex

Graphic card :(I'm confused between Gigabyte gtx g1 1070 or Asus gtx 1070 ROG)

Ram : g.skill TridentZ ddr4 3200 16GB

Ssd : Samsung 850 evolution 500GB

#Hdd : wd black 2TB

#Case : evga dg-87

#Power supply : evga 80+ gold G2 850w

Do you recommend to change anything or adding something? 

Hi guys,

I am currently a college student with really restrictive expenses so i would like to build a computer under a 600 budget. Unfortunately as a previous laptop owner i am in need of the basic peripherals as well (Monitor keyboard and maybe a pair of headphones would cut it). I am aware that i may need to cut a few corners here and there but have used the entire extent of my building knowledge (which is not much at all). so if any of you have any suggestions please let me know. Here is the build via pcpart picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BjjMZ8

Aim:

To play games at high framerates is basicly the only thing im looking for. this will be my first major pc build so i am hoping to make this as simple as possible for myself.

Monitors

1 and even though i prefer a 1080 p monitor i am willing to scale down to 720 p in a worst case senario

4. Peripherals

As of right now i have a working mouse, a keyboard is needed as well as a pair of headphones with a microphone hopefully for relatively cheap considering the build itself is already nearly over budget unfortunately

I am upgrading because i am doing all my work and gaming on a 3 year old laptop equipped with a whopping powerful integrated intel 4000 gaming chip (yea im surprised its lasted this long) but as of right now im playing not to demanding games my most demanding being overwatch. I would like to expand my games library once i get a pc where frame rates will be justifiable enough to allow me to.

To conclude,

I would like to have an honest opinion about what other people think i should do for my build weather to cut costs or to cut out unneeded or parts which would basicly get no use out of this system. and if anyone has a better build that they would like to shoot me with i would love to see it.

Thank you so much,

Danny

1. Budget & Location

I'm from Germany (€, "Euro") and my target budget is about 600€. But everything up to ~650€ is acceptable. I have a idea of what I want to get, linked in a google doc spreadsheet later this post. I'm planning to get my parts from the German store www.mindfactory.de as they offer some good deals (like no shipping costs when buying after midnight).

2. Aim

I'm using my pc mostly for gaming, but also for programming and (some) video recording/editing.

• Gaming:
    • Almost anything from (modded) Minecraft up to AAA titles like 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' and ArmA 3. The system should be able to deliver an at least decent quality for current as well as upcoming titles.
  • Programming
    • From simple stuff like MC-Mods to complex things like Unreal Engine 4. I'm also (sometimes) developing server stuff so running a VM (Virtualbox) should be possible.
  • Recording/Editing
    • I plan to create Videos (Let's plays, Tutorials,...) for the things mentioned above so doing this should be no problem.

3. Monitors

I'm currently running two 1080p Monitors and one old 768p CRT (which will hopefully get replaced soon). An upgrade to 1440p is not planned (yet) but may be possible during the lifetime of this system.

4. Peripherals

Peripherals are not needed as I already own a good keyboard and mouse. An OS is also no problem as I can get Windows for 10€ from Dreamspark.

I'm not exactly planning to upgrade but to buy a completely new pc and then sell my old system because selling it "as is" should be more efficient than selling the old parts on their own.

So I'm buying a new PC because my current setup (gtx 660 with amd fx 6100) isn't cutting it anymore in recent games and I thought now would be a good time as my budget reached a decent level and a bunch of new GPUs were released just recently.

6. My idea

My current idea for upgrading is this spreadsheet. Links to the individual components are in this sheet.

The system looks as follows:

• GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 480
  • CPU: Intel core i5 4460
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
  • PSU: 450W Corsair VS-Series
  • Motherboard: ASRock H81M-VGA4
  • HDD: 1TB Seagate Desktop
  • Case: LC-Power 930W

7. When do I plan to buy

I'm at least waiting this week until the AMD Polaris giveaway has ended so that I don't end up with two RX 480s, but apart from that, I plan to buy as soon as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on this build, please let me know.

Hi guys! I'm planning on building a hackingtosh at the beginning of august.

1. Budget & Location

I'm in Canada and I have a total budget of around 1800$ (more or less). I planned on buying everything online!

2. Aim

I'll mostly use this computer for video editing. I have been hired to do some so I need to equip myself with a real computer (I'm on the family's IMac). I'll edit in premiere pro

3. Monitors

I plan on running two 1080p monitors at first but I plan on upgrading to have a 4k monitor between the two.

4. Peripherals

No need for peripherals but if you have a good keyboard suggestion I'll take it.

My mac is just not good enough to support the kind of work I'm doing right now. It simply makes my workflow orders of magnitude slower. I decided to go with hackingtosh because I plan on doing iOS programming as well!

Tanks you!

Hi, i am building my first pc build and i really want the best bang for your buck and i found two build and i know that the first one is better but is it and does the 6600k come with a fan because on the pc partpicker they said that it dose not

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WXk9Gf 1

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WXk9Gf 2

AND i also know that the list dose not include gpu but i am going for the gtx 1060 when it comes in stock

Thanks!

1. Budget & Location

US, Budget $1000-$1400. ill be purchasing the parts from amazon and newegg.

2. Aim

I plan to use it for gaming, Games like Fallout 4,Far cry 4,And new games to come.

I also plan to do a little video production and rendering.

3. Monitors

I plan to use a single 1440p gaming monitor

4. Peripherals

Like i said a single 1440p gaming monitor and windows 10.

I want to upgrade because my system isnt doing as well was it was and i thought its time for an upgrade

On 13 June 2013 at 3:41 PM, SevantynauG said:
On 28 July 2016 at 6:15 AM, erolwes said:

1. Budget & Location

US, Budget $1000-$1400. ill be purchasing the parts from amazon and newegg.

2. Aim

I plan to use it for gaming, Games like Fallout 4,Far cry 4,And new games to come.

I also plan to do a little video production and rendering.

3. Monitors

I plan to use a single 1440p gaming monitor

4. Peripherals

Like i said a single 1440p gaming monitor and windows 10.

I want to upgrade because my system isnt doing as well was it was and i thought its time for an upgrade

I recommend these parts:

Gigabyte g1 gtx 1070, Current price: ~430 US$

Reasoning behind this: The card runs at a minimum of ~1600 mhz and features pascal+ 8gb of gddr5 so that won't run ut, also plenty of power for 1440 on most triple A titles at quite nice settings. 

intel Core i5 6600k 

price:~250 US$ 

Reasoning behind this: A simple and surprisingly reliable cpu for ganing and light video editing (If you are willing to pay a 100$ fee for some more power towards editing, get the 6700k, hyperthreads are extremely useful if you plan on doing it on higher resolutions) 

Cpu cooler: CoolerMastee hyper 212 evo

pricing: ~30 US$ 

reasoning behind this: A very nice and easy to install cpu cooler that should have people asking if your pc case is a mini fridge

motherboard: msi gaming z170a

Price: ~225 US$ 

Reasoning behind this: features enough ports for most people, supports ddr4 and of course lga 1151, has usb 3.1 and fits well with the red accents of the gpu

Power supply: Evga 850w 80+gold efficency (fully modular)

pricing: ~130 US$

Reasoning behind this: It's a bit overkill for 1 way gpu setup but it's nice to have some extra juice in case you want to add anything in the future otherwise if you don't plan on upgrading that's something you could cut down on a bit. 

RAM:16 gb g skill ripjaws V 3200 mhz ddr4 (Black) 

Pricing: ~80 US$ 

reasoning behind this: Not too overpriced ddr4 that has insane speeds of 3200 mhz and looks nice with the planned red and black aesthetic of the pc. 

For the case it's hard for me to decide what you like but I would go with the nzxt h440 in black and red. 

Pricing:~120 US$

reasoning: It includes a full psu shroud, has great airflow and looks very good with nice cable managment spots. 

Storage: If 6700k WD black 1 tb 7200 rpm hard drive

Pricing: ~50 US$ 

Reasoning behind this:

just an all round simple and decent hard drive that will store alot of videos and programs. 

6700k total: 1415 dollars, will be about 1500 US$ if you add custom sleeves and rgb lighting 

6600k storage: WD Black 1 tb 7200 rpm hard drive 

240 gb samsung 850 evo ssd

pricing: ~90 US$

Reasoning behind this: a very fast ssd for a decent price that can store your favourite games so you can launch them faster and maybe for a few other of your most used programs 

i5 6600k total: 1405 dollars (also about 1500 US$ with sleeving and rgb lights) 

Hope I helped out, I took it you already had a 1440p monitor and windows 10, if not windows 10 is like 20 bucks on g2a and as for a monitor it really semled weird that your budget was starting at 1000 dollars including a monitor because 700 dollar pc's won't run 1440p triple A titles like Fallout 4 at very good settings and will have quite bad fps counts. This pc I suggested will probably be decent at 4k too. This took a long time to type and research so please take the time to have a decent reply. Thanks!

1. Budget & Location
USA. Florida.

2. Aim
Heavy gaming and multitasking videos/college work/ other stuff.

3. Monitors
Laptop screen, don't even know if it is 1080p

4. Peripherals
I have none.

Because is a laptop that gets 18 fps on dota 2 medium settings.

Extra notes:

I am a noob. I threw some parts together: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TDvWX<----- This is the prime example why I can't have money, I should not spend over $1500 as it is money I could use somewhere else.

I would like to run these games at constant 60+ fps: Dota 2, Smite, Overwatch, BF1, Bf4, Star Citizen, No man's sky, Elite Dangerous, Fallout 4, and others of equal or lower quality. I would like to play these games at 1080p or 1440p if possible. Thanks in advance, you will be changing my life.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Budget & Location

Not sure. I am trying to plan out a future build and not sure yet what final budget will be. 

2. Aim

High end gaming/ family PC.

3. Monitors

One, maybe two. I would like the flexibility of to upgrade.

4. Peripherals

At first just the standard mouse, keyboard, speakers and of course Windows OS. 

Ok so basically I currently have an old ASUS ROG G73JH. I bought it when I graduated back in 2010. As I'm sure many of you already know "No Man's Sky" is coming out this week and well this is the first game since I bought it that is causing me to legitimately upgrade my hardware. (requires minimum of 8GB RAM, I've only got 6) For right now I am just going to upgrade the RAM in my old laptop but that's only going to be a rather short term solution as my computer is obviously up there in age. (Heck it was originally Windows 7 the think has lasted through 2 different OS) I'm hoping that it won't be too long until I can afford to build a whole new computer. That being said this will be my first time doing so and I was just hoping for some guiding advice on a few questions. 

First off I'm hoping to build something that will last a long time with minimal upgrading where I can just replace piece by piece until it requires a full rebuild due to a new memory format or something similar. My question with that is would it be better (perhaps cheaper) in the long run to a higher end CPU now in hopes that it will be able to keep up for a long time the way my ASUS has and just upgrade the parts around it to help it do so, or would it be better to get a more mid range CPU and thus upgrade it sooner with the other parts? 

Next I could use some explaining on how graphics cards are rated and how to tell which ones are better, worse, or more than I need. 

After my that all I have left to really ask is what should I know going into this? What advice can you guy give me? 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi... What do you think for this configuration?

Corsair Carbride 600C Full Tower

Corsair RMX 1000W 80+Gold

Core i7 6700K(1151/4.0GHz/8MB)

Fanz Hydro 240T

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5(1151/Z170/DDR4)

Corsair DDR4 Kit (2x8) 2400MHz

NVidia GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 GB

HDD Toshiba SATA III 1TB

Can you tell me + and - Sorry for the mistakes

On 3.8.2016 at 1:06 AM, PillowFortEngineer said:

1. Budget & Location
USA. Florida.

2. Aim
Heavy gaming and multitasking videos/college work/ other stuff.

3. Monitors
Laptop screen, don't even know if it is 1080p

4. Peripherals
I have none.

Because is a laptop that gets 18 fps on dota 2 medium settings.

Extra notes:

I am a noob. I threw some parts together: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TDvWX<----- This is the prime example why I can't have money, I should not spend over $1500 as it is money I could use somewhere else.

I would like to run these games at constant 60+ fps: Dota 2, Smite, Overwatch, BF1, Bf4, Star Citizen, No man's sky, Elite Dangerous, Fallout 4, and others of equal or lower quality. I would like to play these games at 1080p or 1440p if possible. Thanks in advance, you will be changing my life.

Hi, i made a link for you about your build! I hope i can still help you 2 weeks after you posted this. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/khv7XH  . Supposedly the mechanical keyboard is a bit clicky, but put some O-rings on them if you do not like the sound. The mouse is great, i have it myself. I don't know so much about the headset though, but it's ok. I'd also recommend getting windows from a school or something so you do not have to pay. The build is color coordinated and has a window, since i thought if you were to build such a good computer you didn't want it to be terrible. The motherboard may not be the best in terms of build quality but it should suit you just fine. It is white and black themed so it fits nicely with LED's if you'd want to put that in there. As you wanted to do work, i assumed you did video editing or something, if not, save 20$ on the 2 TB harddrive and go with a 1 TB one. This should run like a BEAST on 1080 and 1440p with the highest settings. Also, i put a i7-6700K in there if you're doing video editing, but if it is for gaming you could just go for the i5-6600K and save a lot of money. But yeah, the case is very nice, but it might scratch a lot so you have to be a bit careful. You could save a tiny bit of money by making the ugliest computer in the world, but that's just horrible. Hope i was of use!

On 14.8.2016 at 0:30 AM, wolverine_tn said:
Hi... What do you think for this configuration?

Corsair Carbride 600C Full Tower

Corsair RMX 1000W 80+Gold

Core i7 6700K(1151/4.0GHz/8MB)

Fanz Hydro 240T

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5(1151/Z170/DDR4)

Corsair DDR4 Kit (2x8) 2400MHz

NVidia GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 GB

HDD Toshiba SATA III 1TB

Can you tell me + and - Sorry for the mistakes

The case is way too overpowered for your case, really a lot of things could be better for your case to save more money! I'll just post a PCpartpicker list. The Psu, cpu cooler, and CPU are all too overpowered for video-editing, but if you are rendering or do video-editing go with a 6700K. If you play games the 6600K will fullfill all your needs for 100$ less. I also gave you 2x8 GB of ram. There's the list with improved stuff to make it better and cost less! Also, i gave you an SSD to make your computer boot in like 8 seconds! http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MKkK3F 

I am making a new computer but i need some help im not sure what i need and im trying to make a somewhat cheap gaming rig but im not sure what is good and what is compatible with other things.

On 1/27/2013 at 8:16 AM, Windspeed36 said:

In the same way that different usage types need different systems, you'll need a lot more power to run Far Cry 3 or Crysis 2 than you would Minecraft.

Is it just me that has seen minecraft crash 1000$ + rigs ?

Still point is valid.

''Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.''
''For every idiot proof system devised, a new, improved idiot will arise to overcome it.''

Today is life-the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today.

Hi guy can you help me if im doing my build right?

these are the parts i'm planing to buy. cash is a bit low so i don't know if i should change the board.

CPU : intel G3258 
Board : asus z97 deluxe
RAM : kingston hyperx 1600 8g x2
PSU : SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W  
VC : palit geforce 760ti
SSD : kingston 120g ssd
HDD : western digital 2tb blue

should i use a z97 board or asrock h11 board.

im also unsure of the power supply.

i hope you guys can help me :)

Sorry, made a new thread and could not figure out how to delete this first message.

Edited by ChristianJoy

Hello!
I am currently trying to make a component list for a new computer for a friend, and as I have no experience with DIY PC building I could use a few hints and nudges towards the right direction. Thanks for all replies. 

Budget & Location

29 000 CZK (About $1 200 USD), Prague - Czech Republic.

Aim

Gaming - mainly modern games, was especially asked to make sure it can run No Man's Sky as best as possible. Other than that, I could imagine games like Fallout 4. No need for VR-ready setup.

Monitors

So far, I know only of one FullHD monitor setup

Peripherals

Only OS.

Why are you upgrading

So far, my friend had only an old and slow laptop, and finally gathered enough money for a good upgrade.

Now, so far I came up with these components, but anything can still change, I would need just some suggestions if it's good or not.

CPU: i7-6700K

GPU: Now, that's what I am most undecided about, would like to go for a GeForce 1070 core, so, something like: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming? 

RAM: Might be a little overkill, but 16 gigs? 

MB: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro - All I really need from the MB is it to have a good, surround, audio, USB 3.0/3.1, and at least two PCIe x16 slots, for future upgradeability.

PSU: Corsair CX500M

Case: Cooler Master N300

HDD: Am still deciding if it's worth to go into SSD for OS and HDD for other data, or just stick to bigger HDD, boot time is not that much of an issue here, just the overall gaming experience.

CPU Heatsink: Because the CPU doesn't come with one. Something to keep it cool to prolong it's lifespan. Thinking about: SilentiumPC Spartan 3 LT HE1012 or Noctua NH-U9S

Other peripherals: DVD drive would be appreciated. And probably front-side USB and microphone as well.

Once again, thank you for all help. :)