Build Plan Thread Recommendations (Please read before posting)

Hi!

First time posting here so im not sure im even doing in the right place or thread, sorry if im not and bewere of spelling errors, it's my second language after all.

Im about to acquire a new gaming rigg, im fairly new/old to the market but have an basic to average understanding of how the components work and such. (albiet far from complete understanding)
I was wondering if this system is well put together or if im ''missmatching'' something.

Picture posted at bottom of post.

1. Budget & Location

Im from sweden and i have a budget of 23,000 sek or depending on the exchange rate about 3 224,80 CAD.
Im not expecting you to be able to help me with the where and whens of buying things considering we're on different continents, im only asking for the parts compatibility.

2. Aim

Games games games, im a gamer whom becasue of work related things haven't been on the gaming market for about 10 years and is about to get back to my old past time favorite. Im planing on playing things like Cyberpunk 2077, Dying light 2, Metro series, Valorant ( when released ) and Outer worlds. And in gamer style maner i'd like to play these games in maxed out settings. As far as possible anyways.

3. Monitors

Im currently investigating which monitors would be appropriate but it's gonna be something with atlest 2560x1440 144-165 Hz and most likely G-sync ( even if i have to pay the G sync tax for it )

4. Peripherals

Mid range gaming keyboard ( mechanical ) and mouse  with deacent headphones.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Im getting back in the game

Inet buy.png

Just posting a general thanks to this thread / the forum in general and here seemed like the best place. Built my first desktop last night with lots of advice on component choice from here and some help from build guides on the channel. Smooth install (baring some stupid moments trying to find the right screws 😅) and running nicely. Soon to be added to the folding team! Thanks for all the help!

1. Budget & Location

2,000 NZD (New Zealand) Computer Only

2. Aim

Gaming and light rendering (blender)
Games like Minecraft (modded a fair bit), Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Siv 6

3. Monitors
It would be nice to be able to run a single ultra wide (1440p 120fps)

4. Peripherals

Windows 10 ($200 NZD, it's BS) the rest I'll figure out

I am rocking a HP Envy 360x atm and it's good for, light gaming, modeling, and just chilling but doesn't do a whole lot else (and has no thunderbolt port so no external GPU). SO I am looking to get a "decent" gaming computer that can run everything but also isn't going to set me back half of my life savings.

Someone mentioned case preference so I'll spout that off too.
Not colourful, clean lines -aka I hate the flashy "RGB GAMING COMPUER!!!111!!!!11!!!" cases.
I like the idea of a waterfall glass panel, but that's just a side note.

Cheers in advance!!

planning to buy a computer just wanna check if its all compatible

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

Asus Prime A320M-K

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL16

Gigabyte Radeon RX5700XT

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD

Transcend 830S 256GB SSD

Corsair 650W Active PFC 80+ white

Sharkoon VS4-S ATX Case

So ended up getting most of the stuff on my list. Changed a bit due to deals.

Case: Thermaltake Core V21 - $70 new
Board: ASRock x570m Pro4 - $100 NIB
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x - $300 used
GPU: PNY & EVGA RTX 2070 Super ($400/each NIB)
Cooling (AMD Fan for now until watercool stuff arrives) - too much
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 16gb 3000mhz CL16 (x4) - $280 NIB
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Pro m.2 1tb - $150 NIB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x - $80 NIB

Total so far minus watercooling: $1,780
Pretty darn happy with it all. Got it running yesterday and mostly setup. Still waiting on things to come in the mail like the second GPU and the watercooling stuff which I am still working on assembling. Still need the GPU blocks.
After all arrives, then time to custom wire it and make some custom parts for looks and a little performance.

Almost everything I got, I found locally and almost all of it was new in box. Under my budget so, might even get some new monitors or something.

Would show a photo of the computer but inside looks like crap with the normal wiring currently. After its done, after...

Currently running a ryzen 7 3700x that I got and already put in the board before the 3900. Once I get better cooling, going to then install the R9.

1. Budget & Location

BC Canada looking for as cheap as posible  

2. Aim

1080p gaming machine. Nothing special. Just getting back into the hobby after being out of it for 10+years. Looking for super budget but with possibility of upgrade later. 

3. Monitors

one or two

4. Peripherals

Just OS

Dont have a machine right now

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all, how's it going? Hoping someone can help out. 

1. Budget & Location

Budget: Hopefully around the $1k AUD mark? Happy to give or take a little. 

2. Aim

Will mainly be used by myself for a gaming rig. Games I've been playing are WoW, LoL, various Star Wars games (barely run now on my PC I'm assuming because of my old school CPU/GPU in specs below).

Of note, will also be used from time to time by wifey who uses CAD and CAD Lite for 3D modelling in relation to her Landscape Design business. By the sound of it, this is fairly light work though in terms of 3D mapping. 

I'd also like to be able to play some of the latest FPS titles without being overly limited by the type such as FPS games ideally at 1080p on my 34" monitor at 144hz. 

Final kicker ... if this is possible, I'd want it to be in some form of a smaller factor case. Mine is currently a full sized Corsair Spectre which is fairly tall and bulky. 

Of note, I do have a decent PSU, EVGA, 80+ Gold 650Watt fully modular PSU So I'm assuming I can reuse that. 

I also have a 960Gb SSD as my gaming HDD and a Samsung 850 EVO 256Gb for Windows 10 with other data (movies/pics etc) going to my home NAS. 

3. Monitors

Currently running just the one but in the future would like to (if possible 

4. Peripherals

Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors ect. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

Current PC is fairly (well ... VERY) old ... I'm still running an AMD FX8120 watercooled and running stable at 3.9Ghz (temps are good at around the 35-40 degree celcius range). Currently have an NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB OC'd an extra 24% and stable and 16GB DDR3 ram. Was good at the time but I'm finding obviously my current pc is either not able to run games at all these days or is getting terrible quality. 

Happy to build this myself, have built several PC's of my own in the past and a looooong time ago (about 15 yrs now) did some basic tech support stuff including diagnosing, rebuilding / new builds etc but of course it changes every few years. In short, know I'm capable of building a PC, also realise it can be more bang for your buck as prebuilds in my experience give lower quality/slower RAM / cheaper mobo's etc to make a better margain. 

Budget (including currency): 800-900 GBP £

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: My primary use of the system will be for the gaming side of things playing games like overwatch, cs go and rainbow six siege and other titles like this. 

Other details- 

I planned this parts list below:

-Ryzen 5 3600

-MSI B450 PRO-VDH MAX

-EVGA 2060 KO

-Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200 (2x8GB)

-Seagate Barracuda 1TB & WD Green 240GB SSD

-Corsair 275R Airflow case

-550W PSU unsure on brand

My issue is now with the release of the 3300X from AMD this is better value for money in my eyes over the 3600 that I had planned to use in this build. My issue is that the 3300X may not be supported by the B450 motherboard from what I understand. 

So the big question I need to get my head around is:

Am I better of staying with the current parts list too stay under or around budget or wait for the new B550 motherboards to run the 3300X. I think this may be the best option but want some more educated answer. 

Thanks In Advance 😃

1. Budget & Location

$1500-1700 USD

2. Aim

Gaming in both competitive e-sports titles (Street Fighter 5, Overwatch) and triple A titles like Doom, Tomb Raider, Sekiro, to name a few, but I'd like to run them in high quality, high refresh rate. I also stream, as well as video and music production as well as the occasional meme.

3. Monitors

1ish. I have a Dell S2716DG and a 32 inch TV that I sometimes use as a second monitor, but I usually watch video because the color reproduction, size, and viewing angles are much better on the TV. I do most of my console gaming on said TV as long as it's not a fighting game or any other timing based games. Most of my gaming anymore is done at my computer

4. Peripherals

nope, corsair K55 (red with cherry switches) and a Razer Death adder (basic)

I bought a prebuilt (yeah LOL) and while it's more than serviceable (it's got a Founder's Edition GTX 1080 and a i7 6700), I'd like the move to Ryzen just because it seems like the more interesting platform, I'd have a clear upgrade path, and it seems like I get more bang for my buck. I got a fat bonus at work, I found a new home for my prebuilt, and I'm using part of my savings, and part of the stimulus check (yeah, I'm still being responsible and using the rest of my savings and hopefully trading in my car for a newer one). As one of my favorite characters of all time would say, I NEED MORE POWER.

I have a part list picked out, but I would like a little help optimizing it, if need be.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/merkyofayceMF/saved/#view=qKknLk

1. Budget & Location

$3k-4k USD Boston

2. Aim

Mostly gaming CS:GO, GW2 and whatever I'm into for the month. I'm also an engineer and work from home at times.

3. Monitors

ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27” 1440p 1ms 165Hz DP. Planning on adding another in the future.

4. Peripherals

No, Sennheiser GSP302 headset, Razer Mamba and Razor keyboard

Last time I built a PC was back in 2012 so... It's just a bit outdated. 🤣 I've only updated the monitor and am still running on a GTX 690. So, I figured it was about time for an serious upgrade. Also, during my research I noticed Linus was still around and figured I'd check out these forums for some advice/recommendations.

1. Budget & Location

Looking for around a £500-£600 rig, living in England.

2. Aim

Mainly going to be used for casual to slightly competitive gaming at 1080p.

3. Monitors

Will be getting 2 1080p 90-120hz 27 inch monitors, these will also be getting hooked up to my MacBook for work and other productive stuff. Recommendations for good response time and thin-ish bezels on a decent budget

4. Peripherals

Basically nothing other than a half decent mouse, looking for good quality budget options

5. Why Am I Upgrading

Currently using Geforce Now to stream to my aforementioned MacBook, and with the current going-ons their servers are rather... swamped. So to have more independence to game as I please

Looking at getting a ryzen 5 2600 and a rx 580. Will get a 2tb hard drive and a 500gb budget ssd, probably m.2. Looking for a m-itx or m-atx form factor for decent portability. Not to sure on relible 16gb 3200 mhz ram kits. With cases, I basically have no idea what I am doing so.

Looking for advice and feedback on a build I have been thinking of. Not sure if it is worth buying/building anything now given the current situation and new releases coming soon?

1. Budget & Location

Budget: ~$1,500

2. Aim

Would like it to be versatile - gaming, web browsing, but also ready for data science intensive tasks as I will be doing more of that with my job in the coming months.

3. Monitors

Plan is to have a dual 27" setup down the road, Have been looking at LG models for a while, notably these two below. Not in a rush to buy, I have two monitors from work for now.

LG 27UD68-P
LG 27UD68-W

4. Peripherals

OS included in my PCpartpicker list.

Already have most peripherals.

I have been working on a Dell XPS 13 for the last 4 years. Very limited with what I can do with that obviously.

Last time I played a pc game was on a GeForce 6800 Ultra 😅

PS:

I know there is a AM4 socket adapter I have to buy separately for the Zalman to work with the Ryzen.
Will add extra storage with a 4TB Seagate hard drive to the list.

Hey fellow users! New to this forum and figured i'd get some ideas on some more veteran builders out there for my rough draft build.

1. Budget & Location

Located in the U.S. Trying to keep price around $1000 USD with upgrades in mind for later this year/ early 2021.

2. Aim

Trying to build a hybrid between gaming (I.e far cry 5, AC odyssey, Warhammer, BF5) and light video editing/ general office multitasking

3. Monitors

Currently am running dual 24" monitors, looking to upgrade to single ultrawide later on

4. Peripherals?

Will be needing mouse and keyboard preferably wireless

First build from scratch. I'm familiar with hardware from upgrading older pre-builts i had bought in the past but its basically maxed out on it's generation of intel hardware (originally built back in early 2010's) so figured it was time to put it to rest.

----- Current build list -----

AMD ryzen 5 3600 6-core ---   184.99

MSI B450 Tomahawk ---- 114.99

EVGA Gforce RTX KO Ultra ----  319.99

Seagate baracuda 2tb HDD ---- 52.49

Sabrant rocket Q 500GB m.2 ---- 69.99

Teamgroup Tforce Delta RGB DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200mhz cl-16 ---- 79.99

650W 80plus bronze PSU   ---- 69.99

Cooler Master MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00 MasterBox  --- 49.99

Amazon

Subtotal ---- 928.96 

Thoughts?

12 hours ago, SecretImmortal said:

Hey fellow users! New to this forum and figured i'd get some ideas on some more veteran builders out there for my rough draft build.

1. Budget & Location

Located in the U.S. Trying to keep price around $1000 USD with upgrades in mind for later this year/ early 2021.

2. Aim

Trying to build a hybrid between gaming (I.e far cry 5, AC odyssey, Warhammer, BF5) and light video editing/ general office multitasking

3. Monitors

Currently am running dual 24" monitors, looking to upgrade to single ultrawide later on

4. Peripherals?

Will be needing mouse and keyboard preferably wireless

First build from scratch. I'm familiar with hardware from upgrading older pre-builts i had bought in the past but its basically maxed out on it's generation of intel hardware (originally built back in early 2010's) so figured it was time to put it to rest.

----- Current build list -----

AMD ryzen 5 3600 6-core ---   184.99

MSI B450 Tomahawk ---- 114.99

EVGA Gforce RTX KO Ultra ----  319.99

Seagate baracuda 2tb HDD ---- 52.49

Sabrant rocket Q 500GB m.2 ---- 69.99

Teamgroup Tforce Delta RGB DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200mhz cl-16 ---- 79.99

650W 80plus bronze PSU   ---- 69.99

Cooler Master MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00 MasterBox  --- 49.99

Amazon

Subtotal ---- 928.96 

Thoughts?

If you want upgrades later this year, go with an Asus X570-P or Asus Tuf X-570 Wifi. B450 boards won't support 4th gen Ryzen. 

Hi guys I’m pretty new to this, i have been investigating a lot and I can use some advice, so I want to upgrade somethings from my pc I’m running a ASUS tuf X470 plus gaming, AMD ryzen 5 1600 ae, GeForce gtx 1050, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, 600 watts power supply and I think those are the essentials and I’m trying to go for a ASUS GeForce gtx 1660 super and 16gb more of ram, you guys think I can run that gpu with my processor without a lot of problems? I’m trying to play warzone and I’m running it really really low, please reply and thank you.

4 hours ago, ItsXander said:

Hi guys I’m pretty new to this, i have been investigating a lot and I can use some advice, so I want to upgrade somethings from my pc I’m running a ASUS tuf X470 plus gaming, AMD ryzen 5 1600 ae, GeForce gtx 1050, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, 600 watts power supply and I think those are the essentials and I’m trying to go for a ASUS GeForce gtx 1660 super and 16gb more of ram, you guys think I can run that gpu with my processor without a lot of problems? I’m trying to play warzone and I’m running it really really low, please reply and thank you.

What speed is the RAM? If it is 3000MHz+ then you can just get another 8GB stick. Also, I'd recommend checking what model the PSU is. If it is a poor unit, it could potentially damage the rest of your system. 

On 5/16/2020 at 10:57 PM, gloop said:

B450 boards won't support 4th gen Ryzen. 

new info just came in. actually b450 and x470 will support 4th gen ryzen via bios update

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

13 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

new info just came in. actually b450 and x470 will support 4th gen ryzen via bios update

Yeah, saw that today. Am not totally caught up but they would still be wanting to have a board with a 32mb bios chip to guarantee 4th gen I think. 

14 hours ago, gloop said:

What speed is the RAM? If it is 3000MHz+ then you can just get another 8GB stick. Also, I'd recommend checking what model the PSU is. If it is a poor unit, it could potentially damage the rest of your system. 

Yes I have 3000mhz and the psu it says 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready I bought my computer from cyberpowerpc and thank you for replying :)

it’s a EVGA 600 watts 80 plus I don’t know if it’s a bronze or the other ones but let’s asume it’s the bronze one.

do you think it can run the 1660 super?

Edited by ItsXander

1 hour ago, ItsXander said:

Yes I have 3000mhz and the psu it says 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready I bought my computer from cyberpowerpc and thank you for replying :)

it’s a EVGA 600 watts 80 plus I don’t know if it’s a bronze or the other ones but let’s asume it’s the bronze one.

do you think it can run the 1660 super?

I’d recommend swapping it out; look for something like the Corsair CX550 Power Supply. Do you know the RAM model as mixing RAM isn’t that good?

1 hour ago, gloop said:

I’d recommend swapping it out; look for something like the Corsair CX550 Power Supply. Do you know the RAM model as mixing RAM isn’t that good?

It’s XPG adata I think 

11 minutes ago, ItsXander said:

It’s XPG adata I think 

What I added:

1. I put in the cheapest kit of 16GB 3000MHz Ram. I'd suggest selling your old kit as I would not be confident mixing different models.

2. I added a 240GB SSD for you to put windows on. it will speed up the system MASSIVELY. if you have space, you could also put warzone on the ssd as well

3. I went with a cheap 1660 super, you can swap it out for a model you prefer.

4. I added a decent 550w PSU as your old one is from a prebuilt, and prebuilt are notorious for cheaping out on PSUs.

If you need any more help, just ask! I hope I helped!

On 5/1/2020 at 11:57 AM, random1986 said:

G'day all, how's it going? Hoping someone can help out. 

1. Budget & Location

Budget: Hopefully around the $1k AUD mark? Happy to give or take a little. 

2. Aim

Will mainly be used by myself for a gaming rig. Games I've been playing are WoW, LoL, various Star Wars games (barely run now on my PC I'm assuming because of my old school CPU/GPU in specs below).

Of note, will also be used from time to time by wifey who uses CAD and CAD Lite for 3D modelling in relation to her Landscape Design business. By the sound of it, this is fairly light work though in terms of 3D mapping. 

I'd also like to be able to play some of the latest FPS titles without being overly limited by the type such as FPS games ideally at 1080p on my 34" monitor at 144hz. 

Final kicker ... if this is possible, I'd want it to be in some form of a smaller factor case. Mine is currently a full sized Corsair Spectre which is fairly tall and bulky. 

Of note, I do have a decent PSU, EVGA, 80+ Gold 650Watt fully modular PSU So I'm assuming I can reuse that. 

I also have a 960Gb SSD as my gaming HDD and a Samsung 850 EVO 256Gb for Windows 10 with other data (movies/pics etc) going to my home NAS. 

3. Monitors

Currently running just the one but in the future would like to (if possible 

4. Peripherals

Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors ect. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

Current PC is fairly (well ... VERY) old ... I'm still running an AMD FX8120 watercooled and running stable at 3.9Ghz (temps are good at around the 35-40 degree celcius range). Currently have an NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB OC'd an extra 24% and stable and 16GB DDR3 ram. Was good at the time but I'm finding obviously my current pc is either not able to run games at all these days or is getting terrible quality. 

Happy to build this myself, have built several PC's of my own in the past and a looooong time ago (about 15 yrs now) did some basic tech support stuff including diagnosing, rebuilding / new builds etc but of course it changes every few years. In short, know I'm capable of building a PC, also realise it can be more bang for your buck as prebuilds in my experience give lower quality/slower RAM / cheaper mobo's etc to make a better margain. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a secondary system in my other place, it has a gigabyte z77-d3h motherboard with a i5 3470 on it.

It have a gtx 580 on it , am planning to replace it with a RX 580 , will it work? motherboard support only pci gen 2 

will the RX 580 have compatibility issues with it?

1 hour ago, Mustalem93 said:

Hi

I have a secondary system in my other place, it has a gigabyte z77-d3h motherboard with a i5 3470 on it.

It have a gtx 580 on it , am planning to replace it with a RX 580 , will it work? motherboard support only pci gen 2 

will the RX 580 have compatibility issues with it?

Will work fine, and there shouldn't be any compatibility issues (theoretically). But be prepared to possibly have to update to the newest motherboard BIOS version, as this sometimes is the case to get simple upgrades/changes like this working (when mixing old hardware with new hardware; in your case, a "modern GPU" on an old motherboard). As far as it "Not having PCI Express Gen 3.0 support", that board actually does, as long as you have a "3rd Gen. Intel 22nm CPU" in it (which you do: the i5-3470).