If the DX12 rumors are true, that 2 cards in SLI would allow full usage of the combined VRAM, would the 980 be the new go to for 4k?

King Wild

Would it have the horses to run 4k at 60+ hz if you SLI 2 of them if they have full access to an 8gb of vram?

Would it have the horses to run 4k at 60+ hz if you SLI 2 of them if they have full access to an 8gb of vram?

Linus's Autobahn Hammer.... 24GB VRAM

"Rawr XD"

For GPUs, I would wait until the new series came out, for that go-to.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Linus's Autobahn Hammer.... 12GB VRAM

Wouldn't the autobahn have 24? He had 3x 8gb cards lol

It could have 64gb of vram and it wouldn't make a difference. 4gb is enough to run 99% of games at 4k maxed out. That does not mean that two 980s could output a good frame rate in those games.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

It could have 64gb of vram and it wouldn't make a difference. 4gb is enough to run 99% of games at 4k maxed out. That does not mean that two 980s could output a good frame rate in those games.

Quad 980s in 8k xD

This. VRAM doesn't really make a difference until you start running out of it. Stockpiling more and more VRAM won't help you in terms of performance if the GPUs are too weak. It's a nice feature and definitely makes SLI and CF more viable for many people, but keep in mind that games need to actively support this, otherwise you're stuck with "traditional" SLI/CF.

I wouldn't say the 980 would automatically be the go-to since by the time we get DX12 the 300 series will be out as well. 

It would probably more suited for those still on older generations running cards that are 2GB maybe 3GB or under.

To play at 1440p instead of. 4k

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

So if I had two 970s in SLI i would have 7GB of Vram? 

No, you would have 8GB.

This is still an issue?

PSA: The 970 DOES have 4GB of ram, the bandwidth on the last .5gb is just lower.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

No, you would have 8GB.

This is still an issue?

PSA: The 970 DOES have 4GB of ram, the bandwidth on the last .5gb is just lower.

Wuuuuush! 

NoPFHp6.png

Wuuuuush! 

-snip-

You do realize just how hard it is to convey sarcasm without emojis, yes? ^.^

You do realize just how hard it is to convey sarcasm without emojis, yes? ^.^

Yeah  :lol: Just feels awkward to use them in every post. 

Yeah  :lol: Just feels awkward to use them in every post. 

Haha no problem, just wanted to make sure you knew :P

Don't know how this could improve performance. They could only access each others memory through pci-e, which is 16GB/s, or SLI bridge for nividia, but I doubt that would add much bandwidth. Unless there's something I'm missing, possible yes but wanted no.