CrossfireX without a crossfire bridge?

Val.J

I`m looking into passively cooled GPUs for a completely silent build. I got the cheapest hd5450, which to my surprise has "crossfireX" supported as per the specifications, but has no crossfire plug on it. Not that i`m doing a crossfire config with two cards like that, but i wondered - can you do crossfire with 2 gpus just with software?

The most powerfull passively cooled GPU that I found was the sapphire hd 7750 ultimate - If it is possible to crossfire two of these, than you can get almost a gaming grade setup which is entirely passively cooled. Any thoughts on that?

No you cannot. Otherwise why would we still be using crossfire/sli bridges?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I`m looking into passively cooled GPUs for a completely silent build. I got the cheapest hd5450, which to my surprise has "crossfireX" supported as per the specifications, but has no crossfire plug on it. Not that i`m doing a crossfire config with two cards like that, but i wondered - can you do crossfire with 2 gpus just with software?

The most powerfull passively cooled GPU that I found was the sapphire hd 7750 ultimate - If it is possible to crossfire two of these, than you can get almost a gaming grade setup which is entirely passively cooled. Any thoughts on that?

No. You cannot crossfire a 7750 with that. However, older cards can crossfire without a bridge.

Review of it in Crossfire: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3121/ati_radeon_hd_5450_512mb_gddr3_video_card_in_crossfire/index.html

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

the 7750 can indeed crossfire without a crossfire bridge however more powerful cards (i.e. 7770 and up require a bridge )

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

You need the bridge. Even two-gpu card use a crossfire bridge to connect the gpus, it's just on the pcb

If you use an AMD apu sustem you can hybrid crossfire with a 7750 which wouldn't require a bridge.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

the 7750 can indeed crossfire without a crossfire bridge however more powerful cards (i.e. 7770 and up require a bridge )

Are you sure?  Any 7750?

yeah ... i'll go and find one of amd's slides

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

http://www.profesionalreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

here ... the red means no bridge required......  it also states that if the card feature an external bridge then the bridge must be used 

http://www.profesionalreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

here ... the red means no bridge required......  it also states that if the card feature an external bridge then the bridge must be used 

So you can match different GPUs in crossfire if i`m reading this chart correctly. For instance a 7970 for the primary gpu and a 7950 for the secondary? Or a 7750 with a 7770 ?

So you can match different GPUs in crossfire if i`m reading this chart correctly. For instance a 7970 for the primary gpu and a 7950 for the secondary? Or a 7750 with a 7770 ?

Yes. But the faster card will essentially become the slower card. It disables things and down clocks itself to match the slower card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Okay, so far so good, you guys are extremely helpful! Just tell me this - can you crossfire more than 2x 7750s ? Because if you can, then in theory you could build a completely silent gaming machine with no moving parts whatsoever (with like 3x passively cooled 7750s)

can you crossfire more than 2x 7750s ?

No.

Okay, so far so good, you guys are extremely helpful! Just tell me this - can you crossfire more than 2x 7750s ? Because if you can, then in theory you could build a completely silent gaming machine with no moving parts whatsoever (with like 3x passively cooled 7750s)

ok that one i'm not totally sure about 

Support for my claim: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7750/Pages/radeon-7750.aspx#2

Scroll down. You'll see its Crossfire capabilities.