Ordered My O2 DAC/Amplifier Combo

Is this with the ODAC or without? You'll still pick up noise with most sources at max volume at max gain. Although just a note - Listening to music at that volume will make you deaf and clip with most headphones.

1.  This was using the ODAC (USB connection).

2.  I have no intention of listening at that volume.  I was just simply testing what other reviewers (namely Jerry) have noted.  I'm not that crazy!  :P

My PC specifications are in my profile.

@MayflowerElectronics, my amplifier arrived today.  Since I haven't yet purchased the other headphones, I didn't really need to turn it up too far in order to reach a comfortable listening volume.  Just out of curiosity about the noise floor, I turned the volume all the way up with no sound.  There was no audible static until I activated the gain switch.  About halfway turned, there was static which became slightly louder at full volume.  I would imagine this is true of any amplifier or audio equipment at a certain point, but again I have no expertise in audio engineering.  Thought it was worth inquiring about.

You hear the noise floor if your headphones are very sensitive relative to the amount of gain. If you were using a headphone that actually needed that much gain you probably wouldn't be able to hear it in that case.

For some reason, turning the audio settings to 24bit in Windows reduces the noise floor I hear. I don't know why it happens, it just does. Either way the noise floor is unaudible under any reasonable use.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

PSA to anyone planning on purchasing this combo.  When I plugged my powered desktop speakers into the 3.5 mm auxiliary port, things worked as expected.  With my particular setup, I had my speaker volume set to a certain level and was controlling the volume mainly through the OS via keyboard.

One particular issue I found with this is that if you have your speaker volume set relatively high, this can cause speaker popping to occur during the initial boot phase.  I'm not sure how to test this, but my assumption is that the ODAC driver loads prior to the OS volume settings of the previous session.

I fixed this issue by turning the OS volume up to 100% (similar to when using the amplifier for headphones).  I then use the volume pod on my speakers to make volume adjustments.  I've rebooted a few different times to verify and no popping has occurred.  Another solution to this would be to turn off the speakers while the computer boots and turn them on once you're inside the OS.  @MayflowerElectronics, it might be worthwhile to add this to the FAQ on your website.

1.  This was using the ODAC (USB connection).

2.  I have no intention of listening at that volume.  I was just simply testing what other reviewers (namely Jerry) have noted.  I'm not that crazy!  :P

For some reason, turning the audio settings to 24bit in Windows reduces the noise floor I hear. I don't know why it happens, it just does. Either way the noise floor is unaudible under any reasonable use.

This - Make sure it's at 24/96khz.

This - Make sure it's at 24/96khz.

That's one of the first things I did during the initial setup.  Disabled enhancements as well.  :)

The small popping (more like crackling) issue reappeared again at boot (Windows 8.1 x64).  The best way to describe it is two small crackles close together than 1-2 seconds later two more quick, quiet crackles.  This was after several hours of having the computer turned off.  Speakers were powered on.  I typically don't turn them off just out of convenience.

I do not believe this is indicative of an issue with the ODAC.  If there were truly an issue with the ODAC, I suspect this would be happening during normal use and not just during boot.  If anyone with an O2/ODAC or @MayflowerElectronics could possibly help me re-create this issue to pinpoint the cause (for curiosity sake), that would be cool.

I consider this to be a low priority issue.  There's nothing that indicates a bad unit.  The onboard audio didn't require USB so maybe there's something to that?  I am not sure.

The ODAC makes a small amount of noise when it turns on.

Would this only be audible if the speakers were powered on?  To test, I powered the speakers off and booted my computer.  No noise.

I don't follow? You'll only hear a small noise if something is plugged in to it.

If speakers/headphones are plugged in to either line-in or amp out, and turned on there's a noise which I guess makes sense.  How would the noise be audible without a speaker?  I've never experienced that with my onboard so my OCD for understanding little quirks took over.  I appreciate your patience with me.  :)

Ordered the Sennheiser HD 600 headphones (Newegg sale).  Looking forward to testing the true capabilities of the O2.  @LinusTech, don't you have these?  How do you like them?

Ordered the Sennheiser HD 600 headphones (Newegg sale).  Looking forward to testing the true capabilities of the O2.  @LinusTech, don't you have these?  How do you like them?

I think you got the order of doing things backward.

It's ordered, right? It's on its way, right? What's the use of asking people's opinion on this stage? It's understandable to ask when still browsing and picking which one to order, but at this stage, I'd safely say you're past that point already. It's like ordering a pizza, the pizza's on its way, and while waiting, you call a friend to ask him how does the pizza from that particular pizzeria taste? Let me put it this way then, what'd you do when the guy you ask says, 'it's F-ing horrible, save your money, save your ears, don't get them...'? Will you cancel your order that's on its way?

Just sit tight for a few days, maybe a week, and you'll get to answer your question yourself, by yourself, for yourself...

It's ordered, right? It's on its way, right? What's the use of asking people's opinion on this stage? It's understandable to ask when still browsing and picking which one to order, but at this stage, I'd safely say you're past that point already. It's like ordering a pizza, the pizza's on its way, and while waiting, you call a friend to ask him how does the pizza from that particular pizzeria taste? Let me put it this way then, what'd you do when the guy you ask says, 'it's F-ing horrible, save your money, save your ears, don't get them...'? Will you cancel your order that's on its way?

Just sit tight for a few days, maybe a week, and you'll get to answer your question yourself, by yourself, for yourself...

So making conversation on a forum isn't allowed now?  I never got that memo.  :rolleyes:

And I thought I was a petulant curmudgeon.