1440p Max Settings GPU

Hey guys,

So I hava a Zotac GTX 970 AMP Extreme Edition. Its overclocked to 1505Mhz and +500 memory.I want to play recent games and also games like Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight on 1440p with whatever AA possible Max settings except for v-sync and motion blur.So I am thinking about getting one more of my GPU because I'm really happy with it.I get 40 Average FPS on Far Cry 4 1080p TXAA x4 Max Settings.So should I get another one? Or is it only possible with a 980 or 2  for that matter.

So I hava a Zotac GTX 970 AMP Extreme Edition. Its overclocked to 1505Mhz and +500 memory.I want to play recent games and also games like Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight on 1440p with whatever AA possible Max settings except for v-sync and motion blur.So I am thinking about getting one more of my GPU because I'm really happy with it.I get 40 Average FPS on Far Cry 4 1080p TXAA x4 Max Settings.So should I get another one? Or is it only possible with a 980 or 2  for that matter.

With a 970, in future AAA titles you will start to hit the 3.5GB VRAM bottleneck and performance will suffer. Get a card with proper 4GB like 290, 290X, or 980.

"Rawr XD"

lower the Antialiasing. Its eating most of your performance. if you want multiple GPUs, get 2 290X. Single GPU keep the 970, overkill, dual 980s.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I played FC4 on 1440p with my 970 at medium settings. If want to crank things up, i suggest getting a second 970.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

With a 970, in future AAA titles you will start to hit the 3.5GB VRAM bottleneck and performance will suffer. Get a card with proper 4GB like 290, 290X, or 980.

well he is most likely going to upgrade in the future too

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Erm no, the 970 has a usable 4GB vram. There is a 3% performance drop over 3.5GB. You should read beyond sensationalist headlines and the online rumourmill to the actual articles. Secondly, none of these GPUs are really powerful enough to be bottlenecked by their vram. Their vram limits are good for SLI and Crossfire, let alone as single cards, and at 4K at that.

And finally the 970 beats all of those cards bar the 980 in 1440p benchmarks.

I'm thinking about 980 too since its ''really'' 4gb. But I dont think one of them is enough right?

This may sound strange but i never really experienced any FPS drops above 3.5gb VRAM.

Erm no, the 970 has a usable 4GB vram. There is a 3% performance drop over 3.5GB. You should read beyond sensationalist headlines and the online rumourmill to the actual articles. Secondly, none of these GPUs are really powerful enough to be bottlenecked by their vram. Their vram limits are good for SLI and Crossfire, let alone as single cards.

It's not just sensationalist headlines and rumormills. The performance drop is much more then 3%. 

"Rawr XD"

I'm thinking about 980 too since its ''really'' 4gb. But I dont think one of them is enough right?

It's made by Ubisoft in 2014, no single card can run that ¬¬

Edit: No dual+ -card can run it either, because FPS drops will be limited to a single GPU

It's not just sensationalist headlines and rumormills. The performance drop is much more then 3%. 

Prove it. Most investigations into this have not even managed to reproduce any performance drop, 3% is the highest figure that anyone has ascertained.

A month ago benchmarks showed the 980 to have a slight lead over the 970. Three months of testing haven't been negated just because the Internet shat itself.

Don't. SLI. The. GTX. 970. Period!

I am sitting in that boat right now and i am running into the VRAM limit on some games already. 1440P is just too demanding already. The 970 SLIs extra performance is nice 95% of the time but the other 5% really spoil the soup.

It's also partly living with the knowledge, that your cards will eventually crap out sooner or later when you get into the upper VRAM regions, that spoils your experience. I'd honestly rather have 3.5 GB of VRAM that those 3.5 + 0.5 GB BS.

Do yourself a favour and stay with one 970 (which is good) or wait for the AMD 300 series and see if they suit your needs.

Edit: right now is a bad time to choose a powerful GPU setup. The GTX 980 is madly expensive. The 970 is damaged. The GTX 780 (Ti) is old and has few VRAM. The R9 290X runs hot and is also old. On the plus side it's cheap, but i mean it's not worth getting it now. You have a 970. That will hold out for at least the AMD 300 series release. Redecide then.

I have been through this at least 20 times in the last couple of days, i seriously want to get rid of my GTX 970s.

who cares...

Prove it. Most investigations into this have not even managed to reproduce any performance drop, 3% is the highest figure that anyone has ascertained.

A month ago benchmarks showed the 980 to have a slight lead over the 970. Three months of testing haven't been negated just because the Internet shat itself.

If you've even been on this site for the past month you would know it's more then 3% rather then asking for people to prove it. 

As far as numbers go I've been hearing a lot of 192 up to 3.5GB but only 28 from 3.5 to 4GB. Difference may be smaller then this, but it isn't 3%. 

If you want to "prove" your own 3% figure, there's plenty of threads on this forum that your proof could go towards.

"Rawr XD"

I agree with you but its not a lie and its a issue with 'some' cards. My BF4 is playable with %200 scaling and everything max on 1080p but some people are getting lower fps than me with no AA and with no scaling.

Think I'll wait because I cant afford 2 980's and there is no other single NVIDIA GPU (I dont use AMD cards) can afford my need. Except for 970 but it has problems -_-

If I SLI 970's will it still go above 3.5 VRAM??

Especially if you SLI, yes. Not all the time. In fact very rareley but it is obnoxious when you do.

who cares...

Here's my general rule of thumb:

1080p ->         4xaa

1440p ->         2xaa

2160p (4K) -> no aa

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-geforce-gtx-970-vram-stress-test.html

I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever difference between 3.5 gb of RAM with the .5 gb partition that the 970 has and an exactly the same card with 4 gb of RAM would be is not usually noticeable.

When you SLI, both cards run a "mirror" of the RAM, meaning each card has the same things in it's RAM, it's just a copy because communicating between each card via the RAM would bottleneck anything loaded into RAM over the bus.

I didnt run into 3.5gb problems with my card. Even if I SLI and dont get problems with 3.5 how long you think i can run 1440p  with ultra. I dont think long and probably i'll just wait.

GPU Shack has an Insane deal on the R9 290 with the the Arctic Accelero Extreme 3 : http://gpushack.com/collections/all-gpus-for-sale/products/xfx-r9-290-with-arctic-cooler

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Here's my general rule of thumb:

1080p ->         4xaa

1440p ->         2xaa

2160p (4K) -> no aa

1080p all the aa

1440p 4xaa

4k 2xaa (no aa looks terrible)

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1080p all the aa

1440p 4xaa

4k 2xaa (no aa looks terrible)

To each their own I suppose. Anti-aliasing is a thing of the past at 4k, personally. 

Do you have a 4K monitor or you're just assuming no anti-aliasing looks terrible?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ