Raid

jathor

i know hardware (with dedicated raid card) is best but what i want to know is between that, my motherboard's onboard raid and software(windows) raid, which is "safer".

what i mean is, if I have an Areca raid controller and it breaks, do I need to get the same one for it to work again? (without losing my files) and same question goes for onboard(mobo) raid, do i need to buy the same mobo for it to work again?

also, how does that work for software(windows) raid? if the system fails do reinstall windows and plug the drives in and not lose anything?

thanks guys

If windows fail, you simply have to reinstall windows and then in disk management you will have to import a foreign config (aka dynamic disk) and technically you should be good to go.

Mobo raid.... if the mobo breaks you will have to buy the same brand and model to MAYBE get your raid back.

You might have more raid options via the motherboard like raid 10.

WIndows software can sometime suffer from resyncing issue which will slow down you whole system performance.

Main: Intel i7-4770K, MSI Z87 MPower, 2x 4GB G.Skills 1866MHz CL9, 2x Gigabyte R9-290X, Fractal Design XL R2, 2x Samsung EVO 250GB Raid0 and 2x 1TB Seagate Raid0, Top power 1000W 80+ Bronze, Asus PCE-AC68

Server: AMD FX-8350, MSI 970a-G46, 2x 4GB Mushkin 1866Mhz CL9, MSI 8600GT, Fractal Design Define R4, Samsung EVO 250GB and 6X 2TB Seagate RAID 10, EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+Gold, 2x Intel GBe NIC
Router: Pfsense 2.2, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Acer crap motherboard, 4x 2GB Samsung 800Mhz CL4, Fractal Design Node 604, OCZ Agility 2 50GB, Thermaltake 400W 80+, 2x Intel GBe NIC

i know hardware (with dedicated raid card) is best but what i want to know is between that, my motherboard's onboard raid and software(windows) raid, which is "safer".

what i mean is, if I have an Areca raid controller and it breaks, do I need to get the same one for it to work again? (without losing my files) and same question goes for onboard(mobo) raid, do i need to buy the same mobo for it to work again?

also, how does that work for software(windows) raid? if the system fails do reinstall windows and plug the drives in and not lose anything?

thanks guys

Hey jathor,

Software RAID is easier to retrieve in case of failure but is considered less safe than hardware RAID. It also takes a chunk from your resources to handle the RAID.
Hardware RAID is dedicated to that purpose and takes less resources, handles the RAID array better and is considered safer by many people.

Dedicated RAID cards should be more stable than a motherboard with less problems for the RAID array itself but they can be a lot more costly. for conventional usage I would say your on-board RAID controller on the motherboard should do the job perfectly. 

@Z3R0C00L explained well what would happen in case of failure in all three cases. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

interesting, thanks guys, will take it all into consideration.