Looking to upgrade my router

Speedbird
Go to solution Solved by Prastupok,

For something cheap the TP-Link Archer C5 is about 70 euros and has AC and gigabit LAN also if I remeber correctly it supports 3rd party firmwares like OpenWRT.

The EA series if horrible especially the EA 6300, I've had 4 of them and the firmware doesn't work, it just drops wireless when it want's to, and it's not just me having these problems too.

I haven't had a problem, and I'm on Comcast.

1) Make sure that AC and N are separated 

Wifi

2) Change the MTU to 1492 to allow for packet overhead.

MTU

Hello.

Right now my router is pretty crappy - it's a Thomson TG784 (or smething like that) supporting only 802.11g wireless and 100Mbit ethernet. I'm looking to replace it with something more modern - needs to have 802.11n and Gigabit ethernet, 5GHz would be cool too. Budget is 60 euros.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Hello.

Right now my router is pretty crappy - it's a Thomson TG784 (or smething like that) supporting only 802.11g wireless and 100Mbit ethernet. I'm looking to replace it with something more modern - needs to have 802.11n and Gigabit ethernet, 5GHz would be cool too. Budget is 60 euros.

I have 2 routers in my house, one of the Nighthawk ones, and then a more meh looking one that still performs pretty good.

That is the Linksys EA6300, for the price, it's pretty darn good.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I have 2 routers in my house, one of the Nighthawk ones, and then a more meh looking one that still performs pretty good.

Found one at a local store, thanks. By the way, does it support Wireless AC? The description page on my store's site says it does, but in the spec sheet the WiFi speed is shown as 867 Mbps.

For something cheap the TP-Link Archer C5 is about 70 euros and has AC and gigabit LAN also if I remeber correctly it supports 3rd party firmwares like OpenWRT.

The EA series is horrible especially the EA 6300, I've had 4 of them and the firmware doesn't work, it just drops wireless when it want's to, and it's not just me having these problems too.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Found one at a local store, thanks. By the way, does it support Wireless AC? The description page on my store's site says it does, but in the spec sheet the WiFi speed is shown as 867 Mbps.

Yes it does. 300mbps on wireless-N and 867mbps on wireless-AC.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

The EA series if horrible especially the EA 6300, I've had 4 of them and the firmware doesn't work, it just drops wireless when it want's to, and it's not just me having these problems too.

Wifi

MTU

The EA series is horrible especially the EA 6300, I've had 4 of them and the firmware doesn't work, it just drops wireless when it want's to, and it's not just me having these problems too.

The C5 is 5 euros more expensive, so EA6300 it is.

The C5 is 5 euros more expensive, so EA6300 it is.

I do recommend doing what I suggested though.

-snip-

I no longer own it, I've got a Cloud Core Router with UniFi AC APs now. But when I did, it was nothing but a paper weight with N only on 2.4Ghz and AC only on 5.2Ghz the firmware would shit out the moment you start putting a lot of traffic through it, if there was only a few devices it was fine but more than 10 will kill it.

I no longer own it, I've got a Cloud Core Router with UniFi AC APs now. But when I did, it was nothing but a paper weight with N only on 2.4Ghz and AC only on 5.2Ghz the firmware would shit out the moment you start putting a lot of traffic through it, if there was only a few devices it was fine but more than 10 will kill it.

I'm not going to have more than 8 devices anyway.

I'm not going to have more than 8 devices anyway.

It's fine with 8 and with probably only a had full of them actually doing anything it's fine, also from my experience the original firmware from Cisco was better than the firmware Belkin release after they bought Linksys out which limited the AC to 867 Mbps.

As above that is true. The old firmware is more stable but the new isn't bad either.