Best $100 Headphones

Guest Philosophy

According to wirecutters, Sony MDR-7506 is the unanimous best headphones under 150$ based on the number of editors they bring in to review headphones. 

For me personally, the sub-$100 segment is owned wholly by AKG, then again I prefer open or semi-open headphones. K 240 (not MKII) being my favorite bang-for-buck.

As useless as most gaming headsets tend to be, the BitFenix Flo impressed me a bit not long ago. Then again I'm a massive BitFenix fanboy in general so it may be clouded judgement speaking. And remember that it's coming from someone who doesn't like closed back headphones, so someone who do like muddy overpowered bass might think the Flo sucks.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Are the AKG7XXs a good upgrade over the Superlux HD668Bs?  Should I buy a DAC/AMP such as the FiiO E10K(or something else in the $75-$125 range) to pair with the AKGs?

Do you think maybe the FiiO E10K DAC/AMP alone could improve sound quality on my HD668Bs?

It is often recommended to get an amp for AKGs as they generally have a low sensitivity. SMSL SD793-II would be a better option than the E10K.

It is often recommended to get an amp for AKGs as they generally have a low sensitivity. SMSL SD793-II would be a better option than the E10K.

Can I plug in a speaker system to the SMSL DAC/AMP if I get some kind of auxilary to optical adapter or something? I would also like to eventually buy a nice, high end speaker system, will that DAC/AMP be able to handle expansion? I know so little about audio, so if I say something that sounds stupid, its because I am stupid in this whole area and have no done enough research.

Also, I came upon the Beyerdynamic DT 990s for $177 on Amazon.  How do those compare to the AKGs?  I'm kinda apprehensive about the AKGs through Massdrop because there have been a lot of complaints about rattling in those specific models.  Perhaps that is why they are so cheap.  Also, the wait time on those is crazy, I would be waiting until March at the earliest to get the AKGs.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Since I am getting new headphones and am running on baord Z77 MSI Audio, should I get a DAC?

Since I am getting new headphones and am running on baord Z77 MSI Audio, should I get a DAC?

Try it first, then decide if you need an amp & dac afterwards. Many recent gen mobo's have very good onboard and you may not even need to switch.  (DAC's don't power headphones, if you buy one you'll need an amplifier as well.)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So for anyone who cares, I went to frys and tried a whole bunch of Headphones and went with AKG K240s. They sounded best to me. 

Try it first, then decide if you need an amp & dac afterwards. Many recent gen mobo's have very good onboard and you may not even need to switch.  (DAC's don't power headphones, if you buy one you'll need an amplifier as well.)

I am thinking a dac would be good with my AKG K240s. I have been recommended a DAC by three people and I have had them for a couple hours, I am starting to agree. What are your opinions? and anyones elses who wants to chime in. 

I am thinking a dac would be good with my AKG K240s. I have been recommended a DAC by three people and I have had them for a couple hours, I am starting to agree. What are your opinions? and anyones elses who wants to chime in. 

A dac or amp isn't going to make them sound any difference, only get louder...

Can I plug in a speaker system to the SMSL DAC/AMP if I get some kind of auxilary to optical adapter or something? I would also like to eventually buy a nice, high end speaker system, will that DAC/AMP be able to handle expansion? I know so little about audio, so if I say something that sounds stupid, its because I am stupid in this whole area and have no done enough research.

All the connections on the rear are outputs, so yes you could use any for speakers. Doesn't make much sense to buy a DAC and then use Optical out, as that means whatever you're plugging it into has it's own DAC.

Plenty of people are fine using onboard with both, btw, I just mentioned the SMSL unit because you already mentioned the E10K. Always try new headphones out with your onboard sound before deciding if you need more volume or not.

Also, I came upon the Beyerdynamic DT 990s for $177 on Amazon.  How do those compare to the AKGs?  I'm kinda apprehensive about the AKGs through Massdrop because there have been a lot of complaints about rattling in those specific models.  Perhaps that is why they are so cheap.  Also, the wait time on those is crazy, I would be waiting until March at the earliest to get the AKGs.

The 250 ohm model of the Beyerdynamics are similarly suggested to use a decent amp, but a tad less so than AKGs. Sound-wise, the bass on the DT990's is going to be much more pronounced, and the treble is going to be more sharp and sizzly. DT990's will stand up to more abuse than an AKG, as the build is more simple and rugged.

I've not heard about the rattling complaints, but that's kinda funny. You'd think AKG could handle a simple QC process. The Q701, K701, and K702 are all extremely similar to the K7XX if you're still interested in AKG.

All the connections on the rear are outputs, so yes you could use any for speakers. Doesn't make much sense to buy a DAC and then use Optical out, as that means whatever you're plugging it into has it's own DAC.

Plenty of people are fine using onboard with both, btw, I just mentioned the SMSL unit because you already mentioned the E10K. Always try new headphones out with your onboard sound before deciding if you need more volume or not.

The 250 ohm model of the Beyerdynamics are similarly suggested to use a decent amp, but a tad less so than AKGs. Sound-wise, the bass on the DT990's is going to be much more pronounced, and the treble is going to be more sharp and sizzly. DT990's will stand up to more abuse than an AKG, as the build is more simple and rugged.

I've not heard about the rattling complaints, but that's kinda funny. You'd think AKG could handle a simple QC process. The Q701, K701, and K702 are all extremely similar to the K7XX if you're still interested in AKG.

Thank you for the reply.  I've been doing more research into it all, and although I do like bass in my music, I have heard that a more neutral sounding headphone is better for gaming to help you pinpoint where enemies are in relation to you.  $177 for such a snazzy looking headphone though... tough to pass up.  The AKG K7XX rattling issue seems to be unique to just the Massdrop order.  They were specially made for Massdrop, and I guess QC didn't do a great job.  A lot of people are complaining about the rattling, I'm really happy I didn't blindly pull the trigger on those.

Looking at the SMSL one, I am really liking it.  All the reviews are great, it has enough juice for high end headphones, and the price is right. What if I bought a 3.5mm to RCA Adapter to work with the SMSL so that I can plug in my crappy Logitech Z313s in the mean time?

My current train of thought is, buy the SMSL SD793II for headphones right now, and then later on buy the SMSL SA50 and some nice desktop/bookshelf speakers to go with it.  Will I also be able to buy a subwoofer to use in conjunction with the SA50 and some bookshelf speakers?  If so, what subwoofer in the $100-$200 range would you recommend?  I don't think I will ever go more than 2.1, so future upgrade ability is not that important, if that is something even doable at that price point.  I will eventually buy some much nicer headphones as well, but that is further down the line.

Do these desktop AMPs just provide more volume?  Or does it improve sound quality and clarity too?  Maybe my money is better spent on a proper pair of headphones first, then adding an AMP such as the SMSL one you recommended later?

There was also the Topping VX1, which I would love because of its functionality, ease of use, being able to keep your headphones plugged in, the blue LEDs, one product instead of two, yadda yadda, but that Z Reviewer guy says it is lacking in terms of performance.  Great functionality, poor performance.  He actually recommends the SMSL SD793II paired with the SMSL SA50 to get the best of both worlds, at roughly the same price as the Topping.

I appreciate the help with this.  I am usually a really good writing and listening learner, but for some reason, the audio stuff is not catching on as quickly.  I do plan to go to a local Best Buy or TigerDirect, I am so hesitant though because my experiences with in-store sales associates for technology are not usually the best, which is why I'm trying to do as much independent research as possible, but a lot of the stuff isn't making too much sense to me.  All of the cables, wiring, and logistics makes me want to learn by actually getting my hands on it, rather than watching it in a video or diagram.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

A dac or amp isn't going to make them sound any difference, only get louder...

That is a problem I am having on my PC. They are quiet even at full volume. But on my laptop and phone they are fine...

Thank you for the reply.  I've been doing more research into it all, and although I do like bass in my music, I have heard that a more neutral sounding headphone is better for gaming to help you pinpoint where enemies are in relation to you.  $177 for such a snazzy looking headphone though... tough to pass up.  The AKG K7XX rattling issue seems to be unique to just the Massdrop order.  They were specially made for Massdrop, and I guess QC didn't do a great job.  A lot of people are complaining about the rattling, I'm really happy I didn't blindly pull the trigger on those.

Many people do think a neutral headphone is better for audio-whoring, but the DT990 would still be way better than anything you've heard so far. Though they have accentuated bass, it's well controlled and not that overbearing muddy slophouse that many gaming headsets have. I'd say they're worth a try if you're buying from Amazon because of their great return policy.

Looking at the SMSL one, I am really liking it.  All the reviews are great, it has enough juice for high end headphones, and the price is right.  So my current train of thought is, buy the SMSL SD793II for headphones right now, and then later on buy the SMSL SA50 and some nice desktop/bookshelf speakers to go with it.  Will I also be able to buy a subwoofer to use in conjunction with the SA50 and some bookshelf speakers?  If so, what subwoofer in the $100-$200 range would you recommend?  I don't think I will ever go more than 2.1, so future upgrade ability is not that important, if that is something even doable at that price point.  I will eventually buy some much nicer headphones as well, but that is further down the line.  I currently have some Logitech Z313s, which I loathe... but I will use them in the meantime until I find a better desktop speaker set that I will be happy with.

I appreciate the help with this.  I am usually a really good writing and listening learner, but for some reason, the audio stuff is not catching on as quickly.  I do plan to go to a local Best Buy or TigerDirect, I am so hesitant though because my experiences with in-store sales associates for technology are not usually the best, which is why I'm trying to do as much independent research as possible, but a lot of the stuff isn't making too much sense to me.  All of the cables, wiring, and logistics makes me want to learn by actually getting my hands on it, rather than watching it in a video or diagram.

I'm sure the SA50 is fine if you want it to match the SD793 II, but we normally recommend the LP-2020A+ Lepai amp for speakers because it's cheap and decent enough for most household uses. It's also handy that you can use one of the inputs as an output for a subwoofer if you so desire.

If you're in a smaller room, I don't recommend bothering with a subwoofer. Most decent bookshelf speakers will perform adequately enough on their own in small spaces. The Polk PSW10 is a popular option if you've just gotta have dat bass doe.

Many people do think a neutral headphone is better for audio-whoring, but the DT990 would still be way better than anything you've heard so far. Though they have accentuated bass, it's well controlled and not that overbearing muddy slophouse that many gaming headsets have. I'd say they're worth a try if you're buying from Amazon because of their great return policy.

I'm sure the SA50 is fine if you want it to match the SD793 II, but we normally recommend the LP-2020A+ Lepai amp for speakers because it's cheap and decent enough for most household uses. It's also handy that you can use one of the inputs as an output for a subwoofer if you so desire.

If you're in a smaller room, I don't recommend bothering with a subwoofer. Most decent bookshelf speakers will perform adequately enough on their own in small spaces. The Polk PSW10 is a popular option if you've just gotta have dat bass doe.

Ok, thats good to know about the DT990s, I am leaning towards them because of their fantastic look, great price, and now hearing that the bass isn't too much is another big plus, and of course, Amazon Prime customer.

Do these desktop AMPs just provide more volume?  Or does it improve overall sound quality and clarity too?  Maybe my money is better spent on a proper pair of headphones first, then adding an AMP such as the SMSL one you recommended later?  I currently have the Superlux HD668Bs, and they are pretty fantastic even from on board, especially considering I only paid $30 through Massdrop, and another $15 for some velour earpads on Ebay.  Going to Tigerdirect to try out some of the headphones on display there, I think they sound somewhere in between the Sennheiser HD558s and HD598s, with more bass, but not as brilliantly clear as the Sennies.

If I wanted to just buy the SD793II, would I be able to use my current Logitech Z313s with it if I bought a 3.5mm Female to 2x RCA Male adapter?  If I did something like that, would I also be able to buy nice desktop/bookshelf speakers in the future and hook it up to the SD793II in the same or similar manner?  What adapters/connectors would I need if I wanted to do that?  I don't mind it if I have to unplug my headphones every time I want to switch to speakers, that is not a deal breaker for me as it is to some in the audiophile community.  If I tried to use just the SD793II, does that mean I cannot use active speakers with that kind of setup, or can I?

I have been looking at:

Samson MediaOne BT4s

MicroLab B70s

Micca Club 3s

Thank you for helping me out with these really rudimentary questions, I'm really just getting into this and trying to learn as I go.

Ok, thats good to know about the DT990s, I am leaning towards them because of their fantastic look, great price, and now hearing that the bass isn't too much is another big plus, and of course, Amazon Prime customer.

Do these desktop AMPs just provide more volume? Or does it improve overall sound quality and clarity too? Maybe my money is better spent on a proper pair of headphones first, then adding an AMP such as the SMSL one you recommended later? I currently have the Superlux HD668Bs, and they are pretty fantastic even from on board, especially considering I only paid $30 through Massdrop, and another $15 for some velour earpads on Ebay. Going to Tigerdirect to try out some of the headphones on display there, I think they sound somewhere in between the Sennheiser HD558s and HD598s, with more bass, but not as brilliantly clear as the Sennies.

If I wanted to just buy the SD793II, would I be able to use my current Logitech Z313s with it if I bought a 3.5mm Female to 2x RCA Male adapter? If I did something like that, would I also be able to buy nice desktop/bookshelf speakers in the future and hook it up to the SD793II in the same or similar manner? What adapters/connectors would I need if I wanted to do that? I don't mind it if I have to unplug my headphones every time I want to switch to speakers, that is not a deal breaker for me as it is to some in the audiophile community. If I tried to use just the SD793II, does that mean I cannot use active speakers with that kind of setup, or can I?

I have been looking at:

Samson MediaOne BT4s

MicroLab B70s

Micca Club 3s

Thank you for helping me out with these really rudimentary questions, I'm really just getting into this and trying to learn as I go.

Quick note, I misspoke earlier about the SMSL DAC. The S/PDIF connections on the back are inputs. Dunno y I didn't realize earlier.

An amplifier does one thing - make things louder by increasing the voltage of a signal, and provide enough current to power the load. Audiophile communities like Head-Fi like to claim that costly amplifiers magically improve audio fidelity, but ask them to prove it with science and they fall on their ass a few posts later. There are some marginal benefits to certain better components, but don't be swayed into a expensive system due to improved audio. I've owned a $700 setup in the past, but currently use a $50 Syba DAC because there's simply no audible difference.

Hooking up a speaker system will vary depending if it's a passive set or active set. Active just means an amp is built in, and will usually have RCA inputs. Passive speakers usually have bare wire connections, or a banana plug combo jack. RCA to 3.5mm cables on Amazon are cheap, don't bother with an adapter.

An amplifier does one thing - make things louder by increasing the voltage of a signal, and provide enough current to power the load. Audiophile communities like Head-Fi like to claim that costly amplifiers magically improve audio fidelity, but ask them to prove it with science and they fall on their ass a few posts later. There are some marginal benefits to certain better components, but don't be swayed into a expensive system due to improved audio. I've owned a $700 setup in the past, but currently use a $50 Syba DAC because there's simply no audible difference.

Your headphones probably just didn't have good synergy with that expensive amp. A headphone like the HD 650 will definitely scale with more power.

See, goal-post moving is easy.

@ShearMe

So I decided upon the FiiO E10K.  Kind of a superficial reason, but I prefer the blue LED and the really nice volume knob.  I doubt I will end up buying headphones that are more powerful than 250Ohms, so that is right at the limit of the FiiO.  I also really like the Line Out on the FiiO, so it makes it easy for me to use my existing Logitech 2.1 system, and I will look into upgrading to some powered speakers, or I may go with the Lepai, some Miccas, and that Polk Subwoofer.  I am not sure, need to move first and see what the Logitechs sound like in the room I plan to put it all.

In terms of powered speakers, I am looking at the:

Samson Media One BT3

Samson Media One 4a

M-Audio AV30

So far I really like the Media One 4a's based on the videos I have seen.  The sound quality is better than the others, at least from my listening on YouTube.  If you could recommend any other powered monitors in the $80-$150 range, I am open to suggestions.  At the upper end of the budget, they must really be a whole lot better than the ones price at $80.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out and understand all of this, it has really been invaluable.

I live with my parents still and I've no where to store any of the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years. Thus, there's not exactly enough room to try out many different speakers, thus, I haven't tried many, thus, I can't really make any recommendations. I bought a nice 3-way unit at an estate sale for $60 and haven't considered anything else since. If you live in an area with lots of neighborhoods, might be worth scouting some garage sales and the like to see what you can see. 

I live with my parents still and I've no where to store any of the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years. Thus, there's not exactly enough room to try out many different speakers, thus, I haven't tried many, thus, I can't really make any recommendations. I bought a nice 3-way unit at an estate sale for $60 and haven't considered anything else since. If you live in an area with lots of neighborhoods, might be worth scouting some garage sales and the like to see what you can see. 

Yea, I have definitely considered buying some stuff through craigslist.  I will have to keep an eye on the audio section to see if anything really good pops up.