So this summer I'll be building my first PC. I'm debating whether to watercool my CPU and GPU's but I'm not sure if I'll be out of my depth by doing so, considering I've never even built a PC before. Would you guys say I'd be better off buying an AIO cooler like the H100i or Swiftech H220? I'm just really worried about killing my components...

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

So this summer I'll be building my first PC. I'm debating whether to watercool my CPU and GPU's but I'm not sure if I'll be out of my depth by doing so, considering I've never even built a PC before. Would you guys say I'd be better off buying an AIO cooler like the H100i or Swiftech H220? I'm just really worried about killing my components...

If you go with the H220 and then be expanding it later on, you would be better going with a custom loop at the beginning. This is because of the pump. The pump isnt that strong, but it could handle at least a CPU, GPU, and 2 rads... But yeah, you would be better off with a custom loop.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

h220 is the best AIO 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

If you are worried, just buy an AIO for this go around.

Try going into custom Water cooling next time when you upgrade.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Adding to @Vitalius 's post;

You can always sell the AIO when you are done with it.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Building a custom loop (physically) is actually quite easy in many cases, it's the process of choosing the components that's often the hardest.

I suggest looking at some guides on how to build one. If your budget allows for it, a custom loop is probably the best way to go.

Adding to @Vitalius 's post;

You can always sell the AIO when you are done with it.

So the general consensus is to get an AIO first, then a custom loop later down the line when I upgrade? By the way, does anyone know if 7970 waterblocks would fit on the Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor X edition 6GB card? Or is it a non-reference pcb?

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Building a custom loop (physically) is actually quite easy in many cases, it's the process of choosing the components that's often the hardest.

I suggest looking at some guides on how to build one. If your budget allows for it, a custom loop is probably the best way to go.

Exactly what i am going to do. First timer making doing a custom loop.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

So the general consensus is to get an AIO first, then a custom loop later down the line when I upgrade? By the way, does anyone know if 7970 waterblocks would fit on the Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor X edition 6GB card? Or is it a non-reference pcb?

Non reference. *Most* custom coolers are not on a reference pcb.

That's the reason I was looking into it, is because my budget would allow for £300+ ($500) to be spent on a custom loop. I know the basic rules, such as sticking to one type of metal in the loop, copper is considered to be better, that the Swiftech MCP655 vario is the best pump out there, and that a pump should come directly after a reservoir in a loop. I have the case for it too, a Switch 810. 

That's the reason I was looking into it, is because my budget would allow for £300+ ($500) to be spent on a custom loop. I know the basic rules, such as sticking to one type of metal in the loop, copper is considered to be better, that the Swiftech MCP655 vario is the best pump out there, and that a pump should come directly after a reservoir in a loop. I have the case for it too, a Switch 810. 

You could use a Laing DDC instead of the Laing D5... It's cheaper, but you still get close to the same performance as the D5.

You could use a Laing DDC instead of the Laing D5... It's cheaper, but you still get close to the same performance as the D5.

I can pick up a Laing DDC for around half the price of the Laing D5, so I'd be tempted to get two Laing DDC's for both a performance boost and security should one die on me.

Non reference. *Most* custom coolers are not on a reference pcb.

So it would or wouldn't be able to be water cooled?

I can pick up a Laing DDC for around half the price of the Laing D5, so I'd be tempted to get two Laing DDC's for both a performance boost and security should one die on me.

Where are you going to be buying it from? 2 pumps one loop for redundancy, correct?

So it would or wouldn't be able to be water cooled?

If you get a GPU only waterblock, but then you would have to find a way to cool the ram and VRM and stuff... I am going to check for some waterblocks for that card.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/51998404e4b0ef02d1bd9c2c/t/51afd2dce4b06b4a7eec7473/1370477276092/compatibility-7970.pdf

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Well, I cant find a block for the 6gb Sapphire 7970 on FrozenCPU.com. :(

The Swiftech MCP655 is a rebrand of the D5 pump. They're essentially the same.

Thanks! So it can be water cooled...well that's good then.

Where are you going to be buying it from? 2 pumps one loop for redundancy, correct?

Yes, one loop two pumps. I always thought I'd go for two pumps if I could afford it.

The Swiftech MCP655 is a rebrand of the D5 pump. They're essentially the same.

Swiftech's is said to be the best, according to Linus.

Swiftech's is said to be the best, according to Linus.

In what way? Maybe in warranty, but physically they're nearly identical.

Thanks! So it can be water cooled...well that's good then.

Yes, one loop two pumps. I always thought I'd go for two pumps if I could afford it.

Can or cant? The Radeon Vapor-X 7970 6 GB is color coded red... Red = Cant fit.

In what way? Maybe in warranty, but physically they're nearly identical.

Reliability, his has been running for over a year and a half with no issues. That with the warranty makes it a more appealing offer than other D5's.

Reliability, his has been running for over a year and a half with no issues. That with the warranty makes it a more appealing offer than other D5's.

*Over three years, almost 24/7.

Can or cant? The Radeon Vapor-X 7970 6 GB is color coded red... Red = Cant fit.

My bad, misread the table.