Which do you recommend for affordable performance?

Xtreme Gamer

2-way gtx 660 sli

or

single gtx 960 (soon to be 2-way sli when money is available)

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

the amd cards are going way down. last time i saw, the powercolor r9 290 models were the same price as one of the 960's.

check some out.

I would say used 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd recommend a 280x, it's about 10% faster at 1080p and even higher at the likes of 1440p. It also has 50% more vram so it would fare much better in crossfire than 960sli would. 

That being said, 290's are really cheap right now so pick one of those up instead if you can. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I would say used 290x

hard to find good used ones, they were often used to mine. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

mine was used to mine and it worked PERFECTLY even better than some new ones

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd recommend a 280x, it's about 10% faster at 1080p and even higher at the likes of 1440p. It also has 50% more vram so it would fare much better in crossfire than 960sli would. 

That being said, 290's are really cheap right now so pick one of those up instead if you can. 

a single 290 :P

I would say used 290x

the amd cards are going way down. last time i saw, the powercolor r9 290 models were the same price as one of the 960's.

check some out.

Im not going AMD, I am strictly Nvidia for software and preference reasons.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

suit yourself I converted and couldnt be happier OpenCl for rendering has been good to me

*sigh*

Hey if you want MUCH less performance by going Nvidia, so be it. The 960 will be the better option over the 660 sli imo. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

suit yourself I converted and couldnt be happier OpenCl for rendering has been good to me

i just got curious now, which has faster rendering? The amd cards being recommended on opencl, or, 660/960 cuda?

Just curious, what software are you using that strongly encourages you to stick with Nvidia GPUs and not even consider AMD GPUs?

Also, would be nice if you also stated your use case with the cards, such as for gaming or rendering or whatnot

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

i just got curious now, which has faster rendering? The amd cards being recommended on opencl, or, 660/960 cuda?

I came from my gtx 650 to a 290x and render times were 50% faster but you have to render in media encoder

2-way gtx 660 sli

or

Of those two options, the 960 is going to do better than two 660s. As others have said, though, you might want to consider the R9s as well. If you can spring for it, consider the 970, though as it'll perform better than the 960 and is on par with an R9 while operating at a lower temperature and lower power consumption.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

2-way gtx 660 sli

or

Dont get a 290 series card. Everyone is recommending them but they clearly have no understanding or experience with the issues they have had simce release. 4 threads on LTT created today with new owners having black screens. Thousands of others, myself included had a nightmare of a problem with those cards. Its a roll of the dice when you buy them. I can provide multiple links. It has been a well known issue for a long time.

Edit: one of many threads http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Just curious, what software are you using that strongly encourages you to stick with Nvidia GPUs and not even consider AMD GPUs?

Also, would be nice if you also stated your use case with the cards, such as for gaming or rendering or whatnot

Fair enough, uses for productivity are adobe premiere pro cc 2014, AME, adobe speedgrade, adobe prelude, adobe audition, adobe photoshop, (not sure if these count for productivity, but included them just in case) elgato recording, mirillis action, and shadowplay

Games being played are World of Warcraft, Just cause 2, LoL, and HearthStone

One of my main reasons for sticking with nvidia is because I've never had an amd card and i didnt want to get a crappy amd card without knowing it was crappy. And I didnt know how well the amd cards performed when up against nvidia cards, so I couldnt consider amd since i didnt know their performance benefits/drawbacks. I hope you guys know what im trying to say.

mine was used to mine and it worked PERFECTLY even better than some new ones

damn, that's nice. Although i'd be scared :P 

damn, that's nice. Although i'd be scared :P

got it for less that 50% the cost of a new one and it has a warranty and came with a 3 day return policy

got it for less that 50% the cost of a new one and it has a warranty and came with a 3 day return policy

sounds wroth it alright, was gonna get on eon ebay, but it seemed too good to be true. 

sounds wroth it alright, was gonna get on eon ebay, but it seemed too good to be true. 

just make sure that they are a reputable seller. btw eBays buyer protection is very very good. Ive been on the seller end of one. wasnt fun.

Then your options are limited if you want something "affordable" and actually worth it.

I think if you wanna buy any "affordable" Nvidia card at this point it should be the 970, and ONLY if you only intend on running a 1080p display through the span of having the card.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))