Troubleshooting Sapphire R9 290 problems

Trying to sort out an issue for a friend, he's running an AMD FX-8350 and a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X edition on Windows 8.1 (Corsair 600w PSU, SSD, Asus m5a78l-m and generic 1333Mhz RAM from old PC) After sorting out a seating issue with the CPU causing the computer to not display anything, we have now come across a problem where the computer will restart randomly. After running memtest, monitoring CPU temperatures, re-installing windows multiple times, running check disks and a plethora of other tests, it appears the cause is related to a GPU issue. When the latest AMD drivers are not installed, the computer appears stable, running for an hour without a restart (most restarts occur within 10 minutes of boot) However, once AMD drivers are installed, the computer will restart. (Also tried latest beta driers from AMD)

There have been a few blue screens, all seem to be related to "ntoskrnl.exe" (Crash list created by BlueScreenView are linked HERE and HERE)

Wondering if anyone has any ideas? Is the issue clearly a GPU issue and needs to be RMA'd? Is the issue related to Windows 8.1 compatibility issues? Or is it something less obvious (PSU, motherboard, CPU?)

Would love some help on this, we've been trying to troubleshoot this for a good 24 hours :)

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

AMD FX-8350

Asus m5a78l-m 

Those two should not go together. Ever.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Any reason? The CPU is officially supported on Asus' website? o_O

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

Hmm... that exe seems to be related to Windows kernel, have you tried reinstalling Windows?

"Rawr XD"

Yes but it can't handle the 8320+

Steve

Hmm... that exe seems to be related to Windows kernel, have you tried reinstalling Windows?

Yep, about 4/5 times :P

Although it may not be the cause of the problem, she makes a very good point.

It's "supported" but for reliability and stability reasons 8-core FX should never be used on mATX AM3+ boards because of their lack of proper VRMs to power these 125W chips.

"Rawr XD"

Bit of a fire hazard :P Kidding... BUT the FX needs a beefy power delivery system which this board doesn't really have

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Yes but it can't handle the 8320+

Really? Well I'll keep that in mind! It seemed odd that the system performed fine without the GPU though... very odd...

Really? Well I'll keep that in mind! It seemed odd that the system performed fine without the GPU though... very odd...

Do you have another GPU you can try? Try bringing your GPU over and see if the issue still occurs

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Yup, the board VRMs is not adequate 125w chips. http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Do you have any other GPU to test or test it on another system?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Do you have another GPU you can try? Try bringing your GPU over and see if the issue still occurs

Yup, the board VRMs is not adequate 125w chips. http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Do you have any other GPU to test or test it on another system?

I'll get him to try out his old GPU, I have also found a BIOS update which I'll get him to try too (dunno how much it'll help... but hey-ho!) Thanks for the help so far! :D