Does anybody know of a good LGA 2011 CPU air cooler compatible with a Gigabyte x79-ud3?

lunchboxdeluxe

I have a 3930k on a Gigabyte X79-UD3 with a Corsair H100i and 2x gtx 780ti in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper, and I'm planning on migrating my gear to a Caselabs Mercury S8. I'm currently using Cooler Master Jetflo 120s as casefans and they move a lot of air but man they are loud.

I want to make my build a lot quieter. I'm planning on lining my new case with some sound dampening material and switching to some other sort of case fan, probably noctua...

Anyway, my question: I want to sell my H100i and get an aircooler for my CPU to cut down on noise, but I run quad channel ram and sli so I can't cover up any ram slots and I can't cover up the first pci express slot. Does anybody know of a good CPU aircooler that won't block anything on the Gigabyte X79-UD3? I used to have a hyper 212 plus and it fit fine but when all 6 cores were working on a hot day it just can't quite keep up.

Any help would really be appreciated.

NH-D15 has recessed fins for high-profile RAM compatibility. My friend is running one with Trident X RAM now (Those are tall). All you need to do is maybe increase one of the fans in height but that's it

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I have a 3930k on a Gigabyte X79-UD3 with a Corsair H100i and 2x gtx 780ti in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper, and I'm planning on migrating my gear to a Caselabs Mercury S8. I'm currently using Cooler Master Jetflo 120s as casefans and they move a lot of air but man they are loud.

I want to make my build a lot quieter. I'm planning on lining my new case with some sound dampening material and switching to some other sort of case fan, probably noctua...

Anyway, my question: I want to sell my H100i and get an aircooler for my CPU to cut down on noise, but I run quad channel ram and sli so I can't cover up any ram slots and I can't cover up the first pci express slot. Does anybody know of a good CPU aircooler that won't block anything on the Gigabyte X79-UD3? I used to have a hyper 212 plus and it fit fine but when all 6 cores were working on a hot day it just can't quite keep up.

Any help would really be appreciated.

noctual d-14 rather than the d-15 because it was 1x 140mm and 1x 120mm rather than 2x 140mm, so it has more ram cleaance

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

How about the noctua NH-D15? That has the notches in it to allow for tall ram heatsinks and isn't too bad at overhanging the PCI-E lanes.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If you're looking for quiet, then have you considered just changing the fans on your h100i and altering the fan curves? That might be the quietest, and most cost effective solution.

How about the noctua NH-D15? That has the notches in it to allow for tall ram heatsinks and isn't too bad at overhanging the PCI-E lanes.

The fan size is not an issue, the fan can be moved up slightly with negligible performance loss (1C hotter worst case scenario) and the NH-D15 both performs slightly better and has those recessed fins for compatibility

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

The fan size is not an issue, the fan can be moved up slightly with negligible performance loss (1C hotter worst case scenario) and the NH-D15 both performs slightly better and has those recessed fins for compatibility

Plus you can remove the outside fan and just use the one between the two stacks, although that'll hurt temps a bit more.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I looked into the NH-D14 and the NH-D15, and Noctua's site claims both will block the first pci express slot (and only two of them are x16). It's a bummer.

If you're looking for quiet, then have you considered just changing the fans on your h100i and altering the fan curves? That might be the quietest, and most cost effective solution.

I did this already and it did help somewhat, but I kind of want to get away from watercooling if I can. Removing a point of failure sounds good to me at the moment, but if I can't find anything suitable I may end up just replacing the stock H100i fans with something quieter

I did this already and it did help somewhat, but I kind of want to get away from watercooling if I can. Removing a point of failure sounds good to me at the moment, but if I can't find anything suitable I may end up just replacing the stock H100i fans with something quieter

The AiO units are pretty reliable, they've a lot less chance of leaking than a fully custom loop, but replacing the fans would be a good bet. There's no air cooler that compares to it that won't block the first PCI-E slot, as the NH-D-15, Dark Rock pro 3 and cryorig R1 ultimate will all block the first lane. If replace the fans with noiseblocker eloops, black silent pros or noctua NF-F12s to reduce noise levels p, or if you can find them, some gengle typhoons.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Cryorig's R1 has a 30 ~ 35 mm ram clearance height

It's a really good cooler. Would recommend it. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

The AiO units are pretty reliable, they've a lot less chance of leaking than a fully custom loop, but replacing the fans would be a good bet. There's no air cooler that compares to it that won't block the first PCI-E slot, as the NH-D-15, Dark Rock pro 3 and cryorig R1 ultimate will all block the first lane. If replace the fans with noiseblocker eloops, black silent pros or noctua NF-F12s to reduce noise levels p, or if you can find them, some gengle typhoons.

Thanks... I was hoping I'd been overlooking a large aircooler that wouldn't block a pci express lane, but it looks like you may be right, best to just replace the stock fans with noctuas or something else good and tweak the curve some more.