Lenovo R60 and R61

Ace Lean

So I have just acquired these two laptops and I already have a T420 but I wanted to know what I could do with them... I would hate to let them waste away... 

Another thing is I cant log on to the laptops either (the school let me have them cause they are old) can I get ubuntu somehow onto them? Flash drive maybe?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pzKFqs

Undecided on GPU

So I have just acquired these two laptops and I already have a T420 but I wanted to know what I could do with them... I would hate to let them waste away... 

Another thing is I cant log on to the laptops either (the school let me have them cause they are old) can I get ubuntu somehow onto them? Flash drive maybe?

The R60 is the same more or less as all of teh T/R 6 series thinkpads, so you can install Ubuntu to them maybe. With my T61p, there is no way to install via USB (the BIOS has the option to boot to USB, but I have not yet gotten it to recognise any live boot flashkeys (that do work on other laptops and my desktop). YMMV.

As for what you can do to them... Are you only unable to login to the OS, or are you locked out of the BIOS also?

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

You can get Ubuntu CD for free :)

Also ... I dunno about your laptop .. But I did install windows 8.1 on mine using a USB flash drive :)

I just copied the contents of the iso on my flash drive and boot into my fash drive using bios .. Try doing that and I did it on a desktop .. The process on a laptop should be similar .

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

You can get Ubuntu CD for free :)

Technically not free. You have to buy the DVD-r disk to burn it to (if you system does not support USB booting, which is flacky on the T/R 6 series thinkpads). Still really cheap though.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Technically not free. You have to buy the DVD-r disk to burn it to (if you system does not support USB booting, which is flacky on the T/R 6 series thinkpads). Still really cheap though.

My brother ordered an Ubuntu disk for free online ... I dunno how he did it but it was 100% free .. Even the shipping

My brother ordered an Ubuntu disk for free online ... I dunno how he did it but it was 100% free .. Even the shipping

(This is in no way a joke) I would love to know where he got it from.   I know Conical used to give out disks (back when 10.04 was the current release), but they stopped that in 2011 iirc. Maybe someone else is still doing it?

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(This is in no way a joke) I would love to know where he got it from.   I know Conical used to give out disks (back when 10.04 was the current release), but they stopped that in 2011 iirc. Maybe someone else is still doing it?

I'll ask my brother and get back to you asap

OK ... He got it from canonical..

He doesn't remember the version number or when he got it .. But must be like 2 years ago

OK ... He got it from canonical..

He doesn't remember the version number or when he got it .. But must be like 2 years ago

It is going on 4 years since Conical gave away copies of Ubuntu on disk.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The R60 is the same more or less as all of teh T/R 6 series thinkpads, so you can install Ubuntu to them maybe. With my T61p, there is no way to install via USB (the BIOS has the option to boot to USB, but I have not yet gotten it to recognise any live boot flashkeys (that do work on other laptops and my desktop). YMMV.

As for what you can do to them... Are you only unable to login to the OS, or are you locked out of the BIOS also?

I am able to get into the bios but I am locked out of desktop on both of them, I already tried logging in as Admin, administrator and guest.

Undecided on GPU

I am able to get into the bios but I am locked out of desktop on both of them, I already tried logging in as Admin, administrator and guest.

If the COA is legible on them, reinstall windows. If not, or if you don't want Vista/XP on them, then download your choice of Linux distro and use that.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

If the COA is legible on them, reinstall windows. If not, or if you don't want Vista/XP on them, then download your choice of Linux distro and use that.

Via USB? how would I reinstall windows, although I really would not lkike to keep XP.

Undecided on GPU

Via USB? how would I reinstall windows, although I really would not lkike to keep XP.

It is possible (assuming it works on the R60/61 series. As stated multiple times, the T61(p) series is flaky with USB booting, so there is a great chance teh R60/61 series will be also (they share motherboards and BIOS's across the entire 6x line, except for the Nvidia/AMD equipped models).

You can try either via USB. You will need a large enough USB flashkey and an ISO of your preferred OS with unetbootin or Yumi (easier). Just follow a guide for your choice of unet/yumi found by googlng.  (F12 is the select boot device key iirc. You can also access that with the blue thinkvantage button on a cold boot (I find TV to not always work when rebooting).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

It is possible (assuming it works on the R60/61 series. As stated multiple times, the T61(p) series is flaky with USB booting, so there is a great chance teh R60/61 series will be also (they share motherboards and BIOS's across the entire 6x line, except for the Nvidia/AMD equipped models).

You can try either via USB. You will need a large enough USB flashkey and an ISO of your preferred OS with unetbootin or Yumi (easier). Just follow a guide for your choice of unet/yumi found by googlng.  (F12 is the select boot device key iirc. You can also access that with the blue thinkvantage button on a cold boot (I find TV to not always work when rebooting).

Ok thank you

Undecided on GPU