PFSense not getting IP from modem, crashes when I connect to Webconfig

my PFSense (formerly...and currently Untangle) box has a Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V board, but I have had problems like this for years with Pentium4 IBM's and stuff.

It doesn't get IP from the modem. Untangle does it fine.

The old IBM couldn't get IP from the modem either, untangle did it fine, if I connected it to a switch it worked fine and PF was pretty great if I sacrificed a switch for it.

Not only doesn't it get IP from the modem it doesn't give an IP to clients. I have to set a static IP/gateway/dns/etc. Even then it shows as "Unidentified"

When I attempt to connect to Webconfigurator it crashes. Rapidly prints lines of text before rebooting.

(was) Using 2.2-RELEASE.

Help would be nice.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

This will be hard to troubleshoot because it could be multiple things.

By reading i assume PFSense is installed on your old IBM P4

1) Can you confirm you have physical connectivity between your modem and IBM P4 NIC card (check the modem light status or NIC card light)

2) If your modem is for a Cable service (coax) you will have to powercycle it / reset it when you switch the device connected to it.
3) Can you confirm you selected the proper interface in PFSense for your WAN and LAN 

4) Can you confirm the DHCP service is enabled / Started for the LAN interface

Main: Intel i7-4770K, MSI Z87 MPower, 2x 4GB G.Skills 1866MHz CL9, 2x Gigabyte R9-290X, Fractal Design XL R2, 2x Samsung EVO 250GB Raid0 and 2x 1TB Seagate Raid0, Top power 1000W 80+ Bronze, Asus PCE-AC68

Server: AMD FX-8350, MSI 970a-G46, 2x 4GB Mushkin 1866Mhz CL9, MSI 8600GT, Fractal Design Define R4, Samsung EVO 250GB and 6X 2TB Seagate RAID 10, EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+Gold, 2x Intel GBe NIC
Router: Pfsense 2.2, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Acer crap motherboard, 4x 2GB Samsung 800Mhz CL4, Fractal Design Node 604, OCZ Agility 2 50GB, Thermaltake 400W 80+, 2x Intel GBe NIC

Forgot to ask: Do you know the chipset or brand or model of your NIC ?

Main: Intel i7-4770K, MSI Z87 MPower, 2x 4GB G.Skills 1866MHz CL9, 2x Gigabyte R9-290X, Fractal Design XL R2, 2x Samsung EVO 250GB Raid0 and 2x 1TB Seagate Raid0, Top power 1000W 80+ Bronze, Asus PCE-AC68

Server: AMD FX-8350, MSI 970a-G46, 2x 4GB Mushkin 1866Mhz CL9, MSI 8600GT, Fractal Design Define R4, Samsung EVO 250GB and 6X 2TB Seagate RAID 10, EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+Gold, 2x Intel GBe NIC
Router: Pfsense 2.2, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Acer crap motherboard, 4x 2GB Samsung 800Mhz CL4, Fractal Design Node 604, OCZ Agility 2 50GB, Thermaltake 400W 80+, 2x Intel GBe NIC

This will be hard to troubleshoot because it could be multiple things.

By reading i assume PFSense is installed on your old IBM P4

1) Can you confirm you have physical connectivity between your modem and IBM P4 NIC card (check the modem light status or NIC card light)

2) If your modem is for a Cable service (coax) you will have to powercycle it / reset it when you switch the device connected to it.

3) Can you confirm you selected the proper interface in PFSense for your WAN and LAN 

4) Can you confirm the DHCP service is enabled / Started for the LAN interface

Forgot to ask: Do you know the chipset or brand or model of your NIC ?

No. PFSense works fine on my IBM. That machine (an old, hot, loud and power hungry workstation) is retired now. It was replaced by a computer with a Gigabyte J1900-D3V board. It has 2 Realtek 8111F NICs.

Yes, there is physical connection

ASDL modem. Did try cycling it.

Yes, the interfaces are assigned correctly.

It does say "DHCP service started" or something along that lines, so I assume so.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Where is your PPPoE setup ? In your modem or in PFSense ?

Try setting up a Static ip on your computer and connect it directly to the lan port of PFsense. Then ping the IP of the PFSense Lan interface.
If this works Great will continue to the next troubleshooting steps. If it doesnt we found the issue :P

Where is your PPPoE setup ? In your modem or in PFSense ?

Try setting up a Static ip on your computer and connect it directly to the lan port of PFsense. Then ping the IP of the PFSense Lan interface.

If this works Great will continue to the next troubleshooting steps. If it doesnt we found the issue :P

In modem.

Pinging it brings back either "request timed out" or "destination host unreachable"

Sounds like PFSense doesn't like your NIC
Could be a broken driver. You could try adding a 3rd nic into the PCI slot to see if it does the same thing.

Maybe you should read this:
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=73518.0

Sounds like PFSense doesn't like your NIC
Could be a broken driver. You could try adding a 3rd nic into the PCI slot to see if it does the same thing.

Maybe you should read this:
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=73518.0

I found that thread a while ago searching because it was crashing with ACPI error or something. BIOS upgrade helped.

I tried the NIC out of the IBM, and it worked fine. No problems at all, could connect to webconfig and when I assigned it to WAN it got an IP from the modem.

What to do now? Maybe try the newest nightly build?