Upgraded to Galaxy Note 2 from iPhone 4

VitalSyntax

My iPhone 4 recently died and I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, I'm looking for some pointers from Android veterans to make my transition smoother.. I've been using iPhones since the first generation and have never owned or extensively used an Android device. If your familiar with Android I would really appreciate a few pointers on the following issues...

- How can I change app icons? I've heard you can "root" your device (similar to jailbreaking) and load "roms" (modified versions of Android) but I'd like to keep the stock Samsung modified OS as it comes with some cool unique Galaxy Note 2 features. Is there a different way I can change individual app icons without loosing the features Samsung have loaded onto the device out of the box? I'm a graphic designer and I would love to be able to transfer my own image file over to my phone to replace app icons.

- Emulator performance and controllers? I've seen a N64 emulator and a Gameboy Advance emulator that look freaking awesome! I'd love to be able to play Super Mario 64 or Pokemon Red on my device! Can you get these emulators from Google Play? Or do you need to get them else where? Has anyone tested the Note 2 with graphic intensive emulators like the N64 ones? If so how is the performance and framerate? I've been looking at a few controller options, in you opinion which is the best option (I'm looking at a PS3 controller + Gameklip right now).

- Case needed? I've dropped my previous phones from time to time, never enough to break them or shatter glass so I've typically never used cases. How is the Note 2's build quality when it comes to impact, should I get a case if so which one would you recommend (I'm currently looking at the official Samsung Protective Cover Plus, and the Otterbox Commuter).

- Recommended apps? What are some useful apps you can recommend? Anything from useful day-to-day task apps, to games, or just awesome apps you've tried. I use Google Reader daily to read RSS feeds, what is a good RSS reader that supports Google Reader? I liked Doodle Jump a lot on iOS, what are some cool similar time waster games? I used Apple's Notes and Reminders apps daily, what are some good productivity apps?

Thanks for your time, I'm really looking forward to using Android more and more and have been loving every second of using the Note 2 so far! (Linus should give this thing a try once he is done with the HTC 8x!)

Hey and welcome to the forum! Ok, I will start off by answering your questions.

1. Yes you can change the icons. I can post a tutorial for you in the future. It requires transfering the apk (app) to your desktop and editing it from there.

2. When rooting your device you do not loose your original rom. There are a lot of roms that are based off of the original Note II rom, but have a few tweaks for performance and battery life.

3. There are emulators in google play, yes. The note II should have no problem handling the graphic requirements. I havent installed it yet so I dont know what the framerate would be like. There are numerous PS3 controller apps that allow you to connect a Sixaxis controller to your phone,

4. I would recommend a case, because the Note 2 is so thin that it sometimes feels like it will slip out of your hand ( I dont know if you feel the same). I would recommend the "Body Glove Dimensions" Case. The official samsung cover is crap imo and the otterbox commuter is way to large.

5. A few recommended apps would be "Easy Uninstaller", "Google Goggles", "Splashtop" (My personal favourite) , "Kies Air", "Phone Tracker", "Super Backup" (I use it if I switch ROMs) . The Play Store has most of the popular iOS apps, like Doodle Jump. Google Reader can also be found in the Play Store. There is also a productivity apps section which you can go through.

If you could leave a comment on these 2 posts saying that you would like seeing an android subforum for rooting and just general android things it would be greatly appreciated.

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/...artphone-forum

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/...root-sub-forum

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken