Windows 8.1 public preview download availible!!!...?

greenroost1445

Well windows 8.1 is revealed publicly... good or bad?

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/57261-download-windows-81-public-preview-version-today/

Everyone must by now be aware of the headline changes including a Start Screen button, 50:50 split screen modernlb_icon1.png UI multitasking and boot to desktop options. There’s a lot more changes within the OS which arethoroughly detailed on Microsoft’s Technet.

boot to desktop option are now available but Modern UI is still dominate. Should Microsoft do something else with Modern UI or keep it around?

Well windows 8.1 is revealed publicly... good or bad?

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/57261-download-windows-81-public-preview-version-today/

Start menu might be back and boot to desktop option are now available but Modern UI is still dominate. Should Microsoft do something else with Modern UI or keep it around?

Start menu isn't back at all.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

meh i cant download 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

EDIT: posted on the proper thread.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Well, Ive been using Windows 8 since release and honestly when I look at all the new features from this update I feel like Microsoft did nothing again.

From all that massive list we have 1 good thing which is more Tiles sizes. The rest is just more useless crap. Again Microsoft doesnt listen and doesnt improve the desktop environment again. 

Im not asking for the old, slow and annoying to use start menu but more synergy with the new UI, more customizations get windows to have the normal advanced control it has with easy to use access.

Installing it right now actually. Also, guys, the start button does serve a purpose.

Well, Ive been using Windows 8 since release and honestly when I look at all the new features from this update I feel like Microsoft did nothing again.

From all that massive list we have 1 good thing which is more Tiles sizes. The rest is just more useless crap. Again Microsoft doesnt listen and doesnt improve the desktop environment again. 

Im not asking for the old, slow and annoying to use start menu but more synergy with the new UI, more customizations get windows to have the normal advanced control it has with easy to use access.

At least there's tweaks to the UI, i woudn't expect that from a service pack, at least they're renewing the experience each year with their new approach to updates rather than giving us a hard time waiting for 3 years to get some damn options to work properly.

Finally they got the search right, hats off Jensen.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

At least there's tweaks to the UI, i woudn't expect that from a service pack, at least they're renewing the experience each year with their new approach to updates rather than giving us a hard time waiting for 3 years to get some damn options to work properly.

Finally they got the search right, hats off Jensen.

Well, I can't agree with you at all.

Microsoft failed 1 of their main objectives with Windows 8 release which was having developers interested on the new "modern ui" which requires its own apps. Guess what no one cared about it and you probably know that if you are a user, the only apps on the store are useless 1 utility apps, nothing serious. All apps that 1 guy alone at home does it.

What do they do at the first service pack? 80% of features are for developers to try get their interest. Guess what will happen? nothing, no one will care anyway.

Now 1 year for that? Honestly, a group of 10 open source people would have done 2 times more than Microsoft and way better.

There is only 1 thing Im at Microsoft side, innovation, we needed it, we needed to change windows, but not like this. I love how Windows 8 has better performance than 7, its faster, lighter, has a easier start menu but everything else is more annoying to use.

I just hope that Microsoft with Windows 9 or whatever the name will be to have something in consideration, the FREAKING DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT, The enthusiast side, because atm there is no good windows for enthusiasts or professionals.

Well, I can't agree with you at all.

Microsoft failed 1 of their main objectives with Windows 8 release which was having developers interested on the new "modern ui" which requires its own apps. Guess what no one cared about it and you probably know that if you are a user, the only apps on the store are useless 1 utility apps, nothing serious. All apps that 1 guy alone at home does it.

What do they do at the first service pack? 80% of features are for developers to try get their interest. Guess what will happen? nothing, no one will care anyway.

Now 1 year for that? Honestly, a group of 10 open source people would have done 2 times more than Microsoft and way better.

There is only 1 thing Im at Microsoft side, innovation, we needed it, we needed to change windows, but not like this. I love how Windows 8 has better performance than 7, its faster, lighter, has a easier start menu but everything else is more annoying to use.

I just hope that Microsoft with Windows 9 or whatever the name will be to have something in consideration, the FREAKING DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT, The enthusiast side, because atm there is no good windows for enthusiasts or professionals.

Okay, even if you don't believe windows 8 is a good environment for enthusiasts or professionals, it's failings don't change that 7 was great for both. Hyperbole. The goal of modern UI was to create the first unified desktop-laptop-mobile device user interface. That's never been done before, there were bound to be detractors, and there isn't a lot of margin for error. Metro can work with some tweaking and I hope they stick with it because it's their best chance at long term success right now. Desktop will never die, but it also isn't going to be big enough in the future to support a company the size of microsoft anymore. 

I installed windows 8 on my old pc in April or something because I thought "maybe it'd be better for something like a media pc."

It boots faster, it's convenient that it enlarges the time when you move the mouse in the corner and the onto the charms menu,and it uses a bit less ram than Vista and 7.........and that's it.

I still hate the Modern UI bull crap, the Aero glass feature is gone,I had driver issues where my realtek sound drivers were screwing up for a while,never happened on Vista or 7.
I bought startisback,and it made the experience way better,but windows should come with the start menu.
windows 95 had a start menu,and all of them until 8 did.
microsoft did great,the start menu was a great interface.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Am I like one of the only people that likes modern ui? It barely bothers me :/ especially since I use Windows key combinations to launch most things

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Am I like one of the only people that likes modern ui? It barely bothers me :/ especially since I use Windows key combinations to launch most things

Are you actually using it on the PC listed as your current? If so, that is one reason you don't hate it. On a 26" monitor at 1920x1200 it is a lot of wasted space. On a higher res screen it is even worse. Live tiles are actually small, and icons look giant. Here is a screenshot of how my tiles look, I haven't even spent time organizing them, there are so many it's easier just to go to search to run anything.

modern

I'm gonna wait until Windows 9. Like Microsoft has always done every other OS is a pile of horse crap and the one in-between is the best OS ever made.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Are you actually using it on the PC listed as your current? If so, that is one reason you don't hate it. On a 26" monitor at 1920x1200 it is a lot of wasted space. On a higher res screen it is even worse. Live tiles are actually small, and icons look giant. Here is a screenshot of how my tiles look, I haven't even spent time organizing them, there are so many it's easier just to go to search to run anything.

windows 8.1 adds a couple sizes, you can make icons smaller and live tiles taller now. 

Fair enough but I personally really like how that looks? O.o even with the wasted space

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I have windows 8 and like it I downloaded a free start menu app that allows me to boot to desktop then I set my security settings tobypass the login password, and changed the registry to bypass the lock screen.

I have the impression that people hate Windows 8 just because the rest of people does so.

I had it since launch (having tried the Enterprise x64 Trial via TechNet) i had no doubt about the goals that Microsoft have set for themselves, and they mainly targeted my concerns and my problems with Windows 7, performance optimisations, less cluncky disk scan, faster boot, native support of latest standards (4G, USB 3.0...etc), better file transfers... it's a truely genuine upgrade from Windows 7.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

Kuzma, on 30 Jun 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

I'm looking forward to using Windows 8 and its Metro UI. I already use Fences in my Vista, as I like to have lot's of shortcuts in the desktop, organized in groups. But for those who don't like Metro, there's a desktop interface, so what's the real problem?