Should i not get a gtx 970?

Uwillparish

So as y'all know, nvidia is getting alot of flak for the 970, and whats bad for me is I'm about to buy it and I'm not so sure i should anymore, I was planning on getting the gtx 970 FTW+ but from what I've been hearing over the last week i shouldn't, what do y'all think??

If you can hold off for the time being, I would.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

The news surfaced has not changed how the GPU performs. Just get it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Like @TheSLSAMG said, it still performs like the day it was launched. Go for it. I have one and I have had no problems (1080P)

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I'd go for it anyways, I've got the Gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming and have no problems with it, though I do only run games on a 1680x1050 monitor.. (Plan to hopefully get a 1080p or 1440p monitor in the future.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Do you like the benchmarks? Are you okay with supporting Nvidia after what has occurred? Then yes.

If you said no to either question, then don't get a 970. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So as y'all know, nvidia is getting alot of flak for the 970, and whats bad for me is I'm about to buy it and I'm not so sure i should anymore, I was planning on getting the gtx 970 FTW+ but from what I've been hearing over the last week i shouldn't, what do y'all think??

Well it seems that the problem is that some 970 users noticed that when the VRAM usage goes past 3.5 gigs, the performance tanks down. I think the VRAM speed is what goes down from what I've heard.

But the good news is that so long as you're not using a ton of VRAM--say going 4k--then you are fine with the 970. It's just that the community feels cheated that they aren't getting what they've paid for.

edit: what @TheSLSAMG says is true. The card still performs like NVIDIA promised regardless of if that this issue was revealed or not. My bottomline is still the same: You'll be fine with the 970.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Jesus Christ... Do we need to make a sticky about this? The card is a god-damn work of art! You're getting a $450 card for $330. You're NOT getting a $550 card for $350, so please stop thinking you will. The card is not designed to be futureproofed for 4K gaming. Hell, you could comfortably do three 1080p screens on it and be fine though. If you have the money, but not enough for a 980, BUY IT. This is getting really annoying.

Edit: To put it into perspective, I am running a Radeon HD 6870 with 1GB of VRAM. yes, the card that is four years old. At 1080p, I can comfortably play Far Cry 3 at High Preset.

I'd personally wait. The flack Nvidia is rightfully catching for hiding the specs on the memory could end up dropping prices a bit.

Ok, So after reading this thread i need to state a few things,

I am a active member of team green, Never had a team red card, And from the amount of heat red makes, no thanks.

This is replacing my GTX 780 in my main computer, as the 780 is going in a different computer, Should i not do this now?

I have a maximum of 400$ to spend, if the card will go down in price somewhere in the next 2 weeks, Ill hold off

I would get the R9 290. The performance is really similar but it is like $100 less. And now with the 3.5GB nonsense in the GTX 970 it is less attractive now.

I am a active member of team green, Never had a team red card, And from the amount of head red makes, no thanks.

This is replacing my GTX 780 in my main computer, as the 780 is going in a different computer, Should i not do this now?

I have a maximum of 400$ to spend, if the card will go down in price somewhere in the next 2 weeks, Ill hold off

What do you mean with the amount of head red makes?

I am a active member of team green, Never had a team red card, And from the amount of head red makes, no thanks.

I was going to say "don't upgrade from 780 to 970", but since you'll be using the 780 on another PC, I guess it's ok.

Anyway, with 400$, you are looking at the 970. Didn't you say you were about to buy it, but not so sure? Well, the card is EXACTLY THE SAME as it was when you were "about to buy it". It didn't lose performance.

And the prices are NOT going down in 2 weeks. If it does, I'll get a chinese biscuit, use it on the lotto, and I'll win, 100% sure.

Regarding brands, I find the Gigabyte Windforce OC or the MSI Gaming 4g 10x more worth your money than the EVGA FTW+. Unless you are watercooling, but it doesn't seem the case.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

What do you mean with the amount of head red makes?

I intended to say heat

I was going to say "don't upgrade from 780 to 970", but since you'll be using the 780 on another PC, I guess it's ok.

Anyway, with 400$, you are looking at the 970. Didn't you say you were about to buy it, but not so sure? Well, the card is EXACTLY THE SAME as it was when you were "about to buy it". It didn't lose performance.

And the prices are NOT going down in 2 weeks. If it does, I'll get a chinese biscuit, use it on the lotto, and I'll win, 100% sure.

Regarding brands, I find the Gigabyte Windforce OC or the MSI Gaming 4g 10x more worth your money than the EVGA FTW+. Unless you are watercooling, but it doesn't seem the case.

I am in fact watercooling it

I wouldn't buy it. Wait until Q2 to see what AMD comes up with and hopefully they make something better than the 970 that isn't a complete lie to all their consumers.

whats funny is you did buy it, lol

Yes buy the 970. It still performs the same as before. ITs meant for 1080p gaming.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I am in fact watercooling it

Oh.. well... uh......

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

If you were satisfied with the performance numbers you've seen the GTX 970 achieve, then yes.

If you specifically wanted a card with effective 4GB of VRAM, then no.

If it bothers you that Nvidia advertised it as a 4GB card when it isn't, then no.

Depends on your priorities. The GTX 970 is still a killer GPU, especially at the ~$350 pricepoint.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

whats funny is you did buy it, lol

I bought two of them as a matter of fact. I hugely regret it as well.

Had I known Nvidia was lying to me about this card I wouldn't have given it any more of my time. I would've bought a 980 or two R9 290xs instead.

I don't take kindly to companies lying to me. If Nvidia doesn't make this right for all of the people it lied to I will never buy another Nvidia card so long as AMD or another future potential GPU manufacturer make competitive cards.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I bought two of them as a matter of fact. I hugely regret it as well.

Had I known Nvidia was lying to me about this card I wouldn't have given it any more of my time. I would've bought a 980 or two R9 290xs instead.

I don't take kindly to companies lying to me. If Nvidia doesn't make this right for all of the people it lied to I will never buy another Nvidia card so long as AMD or another future potential GPU manufacturer make competitive cards.

You clearly did not read Nvidia's post. The card still has 4GBs of vram. The card performs the same as it did before. Nothing changed at all and if your using that card for 4k then I don't feel sorry for you. The 970 is not a 4k card.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.