What are the requirements for a SSD

91wow

I've heard around that older motherboards and CPU's might not support newer SSD's, been wanting to upgrade to a SSD for a while but not sure if it will actually work on my system, I have a core2quad Q8200 and a LGA 775 EVGA 790I SLI mobo. Just wanting to know if it will actually work. And yes. I know "You'll bottleneck somewhere" this doesn't matter all to much to me right now, I'm already running a 7870 so im just getting parts when I have the money. next in line will be a SSD, then CPU, mobo, and RAM.

You can still use an SSD. But the SATA on that thing is old, so maybe get a SATA III host card and plug it into that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You will not get the maximum read and write speeds

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

You will not get the maximum read and write speeds

as mentioned, not really bothered by this, still a hell of a lot faster than a HDD

as mentioned, not really bothered by this, still a hell of a lot faster than a HDD

You can always install a PCIe SATA III card and hook the SSD up to that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You can always install a PCIe SATA III card and hook the SSD up to that.

Im looking into getting one as we speak, thanks

Im looking into getting one as we speak, thanks

any time. also, make sure your motherboard supports trim commands too. and speaking of upgrades, i think you might be able to go a year or 2 more with that CPU+mobo config.

Of course you know nothing your miss airhead out of everyone in the whole series. Haha

Don't spend too much on the host card or it might make the cost of getting it null. Save that money Yui. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

SATA and SATA power

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

any time. also, make sure your motherboard supports trim commands too. and speaking of upgrades, i think you might be able to go a year or 2 more with that CPU+mobo config.

OSes are the ones that send out TRIM commands. The motherboard just needs SATA - AHCI isn't even required for TRIM to work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

A HELL of a lot faster

my previous notebook had a core 2 duo with a meg of cache and a 2.0 ghz clock still felt incredibly fast with a OCZ Vertex Agility 3, and my total investment was $110 for the whole system if you include the thermal paste

my current notebook is still faster, but the difference in how fast they FEEL is huge to me, regardless of the max sustained speeds. the important metric IMO is random read latency and IOPS, which isn't slowed much by SATA 2

OSes are the ones that send out TRIM commands. The motherboard just needs SATA - AHCI isn't even required for TRIM to work.

Even if the only modes you have are IDE and RAID?

Even if the only modes you have are IDE and RAID?

TRIM works in IDE as well. Not sure about RAID though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

TRIM works in IDE as well. Not sure about RAID though.

But isn't IDE mode gonna hamper the SSD's performance though?

But isn't IDE mode gonna hamper the SSD's performance though?

What I said is that TRIM is supported under IDE mode. It does affect drive performance, including hard drives.

Of course you know nothing your miss airhead out of everyone in the whole series. Haha

Don't spend too much on the host card or it might make the cost of getting it null. Save that money Yui. 

You're* I KNOW SOMETHING

This set isn't good at all, the GPU is fine and if a get a Q6600 or Q9650 then it will last but this CPU can not OC to save it's life, It has such a low multi, im lucky to get above 2.5GHz lol. right now the FSB is 1333, bus speed is 333 and the multi is 7... soooo yeah. It shows its age in the games I play. BF3 im lucky to get 40FPS at ultra, BF4 30ish FPS last time I played. I actually get better FPS in DayZ then both of those games, I average right around 45-60 with max settings, max AA, max Post, and everything.

I've heard around that older motherboards and CPU's might not support newer SSD's, been wanting to upgrade to a SSD for a while but not sure if it will actually work on my system, I have a core2quad Q8200 and a LGA 775 EVGA 790I SLI mobo. Just wanting to know if it will actually work. And yes. I know "You'll bottleneck somewhere" this doesn't matter all to much to me right now, I'm already running a 7870 so im just getting parts when I have the money. next in line will be a SSD, then CPU, mobo, and RAM.

Yes. Ssds work on any sata board.

And regardless of sata1,2,3, the speeds compared to a standard hdd will blow you away.

- Alston