Difference Between Audio Jacks

jessy0245

What is the difference between the audio jack sizes? I've always wondered. I do apologize if this has been asked before. I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a search button.  :unsure:

The big one provides more durability and surface area for power transfer. In practice there is little difference.

To add 1 thing: big one usually got bigger cable hole, for thicker and/or braided cables. There are also small ones with big cable hole tho...

For DIY-er, big ones are VERY much easier to solder than small ones.

In practical, no different in sound quality. But from my experience, it's about power. Most high gain desktop amplifier used a large 6.3mm jack, so that a smaller 3.5mm headphone jack won't be able to use. That's good because those amplifiers have enough current to fry your in-ear headphone. On the other hand, A power hungry headphone like Sennheiser HD800 came with 6.3mm jack because most 3.5mm AMP or ipod won't have sufficient power to drive, it requires a high gain AMP as I mentioned above.

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

In practical, no different in sound quality. But from my experience, it's about power. Most high gain desktop amplifier used a large 6.3mm jack, so that a smaller 3.5mm headphone jack won't be able to use. That's good because those amplifiers have enough current to fry your in-ear headphone. On the other hand, A power hungry headphone like Sennheiser HD800 came with 6.3mm jack because most 3.5mm AMP or ipod won't have sufficient power to drive, it requires a high gain AMP as I mentioned above.

Can we stop pretending the HD800 is power hungry?

The HD800 has a 6.3mm jack because it feels nice, not because it is so demanding that it requires one. In fact, it draws about the same amount of power as the Beyer DT line, which all have 3.5mm jacks and are moderately sensitive. 6.3mm can certainly carry more current than 3.5mm due to physics, just no headphone needs anywhere near that amount. Plenty legitimately power-hungry headphones also do not have hard-wired 6.3mm jacks.

Can we stop pretending the HD800 is power hungry?

The HD800 has a 6.3mm jack because it feels nice, not because it is so demanding that it requires one. In fact, it draws about the same amount of power as the Beyer DT line, which all have 3.5mm jacks and are moderately sensitive. 6.3mm can certainly carry more current than 3.5mm due to physics, just no headphone needs anywhere near that amount. Plenty legitimately power-hungry headphones also do not have hard-wired 6.3mm jacks.

Hmmm, my stereotype is, the Senn's line that use 6.3 jack are the ones that got quite high impedance rating. So I'm thinking it's their way of saying, 'hey, these headphones are safe to be plugged to big studio and/or recording amps, the ones with high output impedance (in context of damping factor)'

Just my logic tho, dunno if it's true or not....