4k with R9 280x?

TheTechnical1

3Gb will run everything at 4K just fine.

In my testing most games only use 2.5 GB.

Try advanced games with settings cranked.

i play every game i own and all the latest AAA titles i buy at 4k on medium to high settings with a gtx770 so a similarly specced card. 

What you'll notice on this forum is everyone without a 4k monitor will always tell you you need quad slip 980s to run anything  at 4k.. yet all the 4k owners will say you'll get a very good experience with much lesser hardware :)

and to everyone saying about the ram issue and cracking everything up to ultra is a must ect.. trust me 4k medium settings looks 100000000000000000x better than ultra with all the bells and whistles at 1080p...

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

and if you had a card with 4gigs on it it might use more because it's available. I don't see how it only uses 2.5gigs. Everything I've seen contadicts your statement. What are you playing and at what settings?

you can still have a good visual experience as alluded to above  but you're going to have problems with smoothness at higher settings.

I have.

There's only two situations that reliably use more VRAM (that isn't simply the game engine taking advantage of available resources.)

-Uncompressed or Max quality texture packs.  Some examples would be Shadow of Mordor's Ultra texture pack.

-Heavy usage of anti-aliasing/post processing filters. You won't be using these at 4K.

I've documented a few dozen games in a spreadsheet and one of the things I keep track of is VRAM usage.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti