default audio changes when different programs open

bear5532

I got a pair of sennheiser zero headphones for gaming.  i also recently got an hp envy phoenix pc.  when i have wow open everything works great.  my default audio is to speakers/headphones IDT high definition audio CODEC and i can hear my game.  when i open vent or teamspeak the default audio changes to digital output (s/pdif) IDT high definition audio CODEC and the speakers/headphones become disconnected.  In teamspeak the default audio is set as speakers/headphones and in the sound window in windows it is also set as default, except when it magically disconnects.  i have windows 8.1 and do not have a sound card.  headphones are connected to the mic and headphone jack on front of pc.  (green and red) and not to the black optical out on rear i/o.  

why is my default sound changing on its own and how do i fix this. 

also,  when vent or teamspeak are open i can hear the people talking in the lobby i just cant hear my game.  preferably i would like to hear both.

Windows has both a "default device" and a " default communication device" (should be a drop down arrow on the button).

You want both set to the same thing.

they are both set to speakers and headphones until i connect to teamspeak and it changes on its own to digital output and speakers/headphones is no longer connected. 

Okay, go into the sound properties and check out the tab about calls or VoIP. Set it to do nothing when a call is made.

Sorry if this sounds obscure, not at a PC nor do I have Windows 8.

i think i might just try getting a 3.5mm extension and plug in to the jack on the rear io.  ty for your speedy replies.  when i disable the digital output is still disconnects the speakers headphones and it just doesnt have sound at all.  and the voip is set to do nothing.  tyvm for the ideas :)

that didnt work either.  i have no sound from digital audio jack on back of pc xD  fml lol