Wifi range not far enough

Dear People of the Linustechtips forum,

I recently got a new WAN connection (fibre-optic) and a new router/modem with it.

After running through the setup and getting everything working, I noticed that on the 1st floor, there was not enough WIFI signal to do basically anything on mobile devices.

I've been reading up on different solutions, some people argue that a WIFI repeater is the best, others say that you should go with an Access-point.

I know that there are solutions that can clone your network, so that you don't have to swith networks when you go upstairs.

After seeing many people being in favour of access-points, it caught my attention.

Does an Access-point clone your network? Or create a new one?

What are your experiences with either devices? Can you give me some advice on which model/brand is reliable?

Hopefully you can educate me a little more.

Thank you guys in advance.

Have a wonderful evening (from The Netherlands),

Rambi

Wait so your new router is worse than the old one?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

An access point is basically like having a second router but they aren't as tricky as a range extender because you have to set them up in exactly the right spot. I used to have a range extender but i currently have an access point set up.

Wait so your new router is worse than the old one?

I'd rather say my standards have changed, seen as we've gone from 8 Mbps up/1 Mbps down to 100Mbps up/100Mbps down.

Seeing my speed drop upstairs was agrivating, So I really want to do something about it.

An access point is basically like having a second router but they aren't as tricky as a range extender because you have to set them up in exactly the right spot. I used to have a range extender but i currently have an access point set up.

That sure sounds good. So do you have any particular brand/model you can recommend?

That sure sounds good. So do you have any particular brand/model you can recommend?

why not move the modem around ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

why not move the modem around ?

I can't really do that since i've attatched my NAS to it and there's a lot of fixed wiring around the house.

Plus, I still need to have WIFI on the ground floor.

Brand doesn't really matter that much with them, just check the reviews before you buy.

Brand doesn't really matter that much with them, just check the reviews before you buy.

Alright, should it have a bridge function in it?

Or would that not be necessary?

Alright, should it have a bridge function in it?

Or would that not be necessary?

It isn't really necessary just remember that you will need to put wired connection to it unlike a range extender.