4K/G-Sync First Impressions/Review (Acer XB280HK)

Oshino Shinobu

Not great. 3GB is going to be limiting at 4K, as well as the power needed to drive it. No single GPU solution (other than the Titan X Maybe) is enough for 4K at any decent settings. 

Darn, okay. Thanks for your input!  :)

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

@Oshino Shinobu

Do you have another 4k monitor to compare gsync to? I have a 4k @ 60hz monitor without gsync and just got a titan x so now I'm looking at gsync monitors. Is it worth it? 

Thanks for the review, good times ahead...

/So you play 1440p res on your 4K panel in some games..? <-- No blur or anything like that due to NON-native res? <-Same for 1080p?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

/So you play 1440p res on your 4K panel in some games..? <-- No blur or anything like that due to NON-native res? <-Same for 1080p?

4k can scale to 1440p or 1080p just fine with no distortion. 

4k can scale to 1440p or 1080p just fine with no distortion. 

Thankful, I thought it would be blurred in a way...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thankful, I thought it would be blurred in a way...

No blurr that I've noticed. I played GTA5 at 1440 and 1080 when 4k didn't want to go above 30fps. This enables you to use a 4k desktop while still gaming at high fps by lower the resolution. 

wow thats a mad expensive monitor, but man does it look nice.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

No blurr that I've noticed. I played GTA5 at 1440 and 1080 when 4k didn't want to go above 30fps. This enables you to use a 4k desktop while still gaming at high fps by lower the resolution. 

There is a slight blur for 1080p vs 4K but if you sit far enough you will probably not notice.

For 1440p vs 4K there is Very very very slight blurring that you really have to sit real close to notice a difference.

So yea there is blurring but it's hard to notice.

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Do you have another 4k monitor to compare gsync to? I have a 4k @ 60hz monitor without gsync and just got a titan x so now I'm looking at gsync monitors. Is it worth it? 

I would suggest to wait for something better to come out maybe a 4K @ 120hz G-Sync or a 4K @ 60hz IPS version with G-Sync which I heard will be coming relatively soon.

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

@Oshino Shinobu

Nope. I can compare it to this monitor with GSync turned off though. It makes a HUGE difference. 

It's may not be instantly noticeable, but if it is disabled, you'll notice it straight away. I don't think I can go back to a non-GSync monitor now, that's how much better it is. It's kind of like trying to go back to a membrane keyboard after using mechanical for a long time. 

GPUs are not ready for a 4K G-sync panel... I understand 1440p and 1080p G-sync panels but 4K..? Nah.. You want 60FPS #pcmasterrace and anything lower is just crap. You need an insane setup for 60FPS+ for g-sync to make a difference. If I had a setup (that I doubt exists in practical terms) that would run games at 70FPS +/- 10% then I wouldn't be able to justify buying more premium monitor with g-sync when I can just turn on v-sync (minimum FPS is 60) and it wouldn't stutter.

I understand that some older games run at sub 100FPS in 4K but for this monitor caps out at 60Hz so what is the point of g-sync if you seek minimum 60FPS? If this monitor would be 144Hz then yes, G-sync yay but it's not... I hope you get what a mean.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

GPUs are not ready for a 4K G-sync panel... I understand 1440p and 1080p G-sync panels but 4K..? Nah.. You want 60FPS #pcmasterrace and anything lower is just crap. You need an insane setup for 60FPS+ for g-sync to make a difference. If I had a setup (that I doubt exists in practical terms) that would run games at 70FPS +/- 10% then I wouldn't be able to justify buying more premium monitor with g-sync when I can just turn on v-sync (minimum FPS is 60) and it wouldn't stutter.

I understand that some older games run at sub 100FPS in 4K but for this monitor caps out at 60Hz so what is the point of g-sync if you seek minimum 60FPS? If this monitor would be 144Hz then yes, G-sync yay but it's not... I hope you get what a mean.

GSync is perfect for 4K because it takes a lot to push. Instead of having my games pinned at 60FPS, I have them running from 45-60FPS as it makes it feel so much smoother.

Having games run over the monitor's refresh rate doesn't cause stuttering, it's tearing. 

I don't think you quite understand what GSync does. Sure, it makes a difference above 60FPS (or whatever your monitor's refresh rate is), but it really makes a differences at FPS below that. It makes drops from 60FPS to 50FPS pretty much unnoticeable. With GSync, I've found that I don't look at my FPS, I just adjust settings until it feels smooth. 

To me, 1080p GSync is fairly pointless. Not all games suffer from tearing, and if you can't pin games at 60FPS+ on 1080p, your money is better spent on a better GPU. 

GSync is perfect for 4K because it takes a lot to push. Instead of having my games pinned at 60FPS, I have them running from 45-60FPS as it makes it feel so much smoother.

Having games run over the monitor's refresh rate doesn't cause stuttering, it's tearing. 

I don't think you quite understand what GSync does. Sure, it makes a difference above 60FPS (or whatever your monitor's refresh rate is), but it really makes a differences at FPS below that. It makes drops from 60FPS to 50FPS pretty much unnoticeable. With GSync, I've found that I don't look at my FPS, I just adjust settings until it feels smooth. 

To me, 1080p GSync is fairly pointless. Not all games suffer from tearing, and if you can't pin games at 60FPS+ on 1080p, your money is better spent on a better GPU. 

I might have written my post in a way that you didn't understand.. I know what g-sync does. All I'm saying is the premium isn't worth to (me) have a 10FPS drop from 60FPS to 50FPS. The fact that I would drop from 60FPS to 50FPS would annoy me in itself. Besides, I can't really put my opinion forward since I have never gamed on a 4k g-sync panel.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

there are people who will always think 4K is some un-touchable resolution that doesn't really exist for normal folk  :rolleyes:

there's no sense in talking sense to them

it's surprisingly easy to run. main reason I got rid of it was constantly hitting refresh rate cap and my gpu's would get bored and downclock to baseclock (and be unprepared for dips in fps from explosions/etc)

I might have written my post in a way that you didn't understand.. I know what g-sync does. All I'm saying is the premium isn't worth to (me) have a 10FPS drop from 60FPS to 50FPS. The fact that I would drop from 60FPS to 50FPS would annoy me in itself. Besides, I can't really put my opinion forward since I have never gamed on a 4k g-sync panel.

See, I don't even have an FPS counter up anymore, because what I used to think (or know) no longer applies. Before, I would pin my games at 60FPS+, but I've found a lot of games I run are at around 50FPS.

IMO, to truly experience GSync, you need to completely ignore FPS and just focus on making the game seem smooth. The 60FPS PCMR crap becomes irrelevant with GSync, as below 60FPS feels very different. That's why I feel GSync makes perfect sense for 4K, because it allows you to turn up settings whilst keeping a smooth gaming experience. 

See, I don't even have an FPS counter up anymore, because what I used to think (or know) no longer applies. Before, I would pin my games at 60FPS+, but I've found a lot of games I run are at around 50FPS.

IMO, to truly experience GSync, you need to completely ignore FPS and just focus on making the game seem smooth. The 60FPS PCMR crap becomes irrelevant with GSync, as below 60FPS feels very different. That's why I feel GSync makes perfect sense for 4K, because it allows you to turn up settings whilst keeping a smooth gaming experience. 

True.. I never paid attention to the smoothness because I was always obsessed about the 60FPS and tearing...

True.. I never paid attention to the smoothness because I was always obsessed about the 60FPS and tearing...

It's one of those things that you need to use a for a while to understand it. Trying it at 1080p for a few minutes gives you an idea of what it can do, but using it on a day to day basis is the only way to really get a good feel for it. It's a bit like mechanical keyboards, in that it takes a while to see what a difference it makes, especially when you try to switch back.