Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap?

spwath

OK, so im going to wrap my keyboard.

I would like to know if anyone has done this?
Any tips?

Any recomendations for good wrap?

Thanks!!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

i have done this before, if possible remove all your key caps and the plastic housing, then wrap the plastic housing using a Stanley knife and a decent ruler.

i have done this before, if possible remove all your key caps and the plastic housing, then wrap the plastic housing using a Stanley knife and a decent ruler.

K.

Any recommended wrap (BTW I live 5 min from frozencpu, so there or amazon)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

K.

Any recommended wrap (BTW I live 5 min from frozencpu, so there or amazon)

3M vinyl 

3M vinyl

K thanks, that's at frozen CPU.

I think I'll get that.

Make my apple adjustable keyboard look nice

Apple_Adjustable_Keyboard_closed.jpg3M vinyl 

now my keyboard is a bit of an odd shape. Will this create difficulties?

Apple_Adjustable_Keyboard.jpgapple-non-solo-successi-ecco-i-clamorosi

OK, so im going to wrap my keyboard.

I would like to know if anyone has done this?

Any tips?

Any recomendations for good wrap?

Thanks!!

There should be several threads on here about it, I've done it as well on several keyboards now. Take your time and it shouldn't be too hard, use a lighter and BARELY heat the wrap up on corners and it will form much easier. Literally a split second of the flame 1/4" away from the vinyl is all you need to soften it up, some people use a large candle. Clean it EXTREMELY good, or it will peel off over time. You want to use something like rubbing alcohol that will get all the oils from your fingers off.

You want to use 3M 1080 scotchprint, the Chinese stuff is pretty much useless... but watch out as some of the Chinese vinyl has 3M printed on the back so make sure you are buying from someone who is guarantying it to be genuine 3M.

3M Di-Noc will work... but its a lot harder to work with than 1080. Di-Noc is really meant for flat applications where you want the texture.

I used Di-Noc on my printer to cover up the beat up door from me opening to change toners and not moving the stuff in front of it, and the edges refuse to stay down.

IMG_20150115_202511853_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150115_202537250.jpg

This keyboard was done with 1080 Brushed Aluminum:

IMG_20150115_202553578_HDR.jpg

Left roll is Di-Noc and the right roll is 1080, compared to a sheet of 4K twill carbon fiber. Visually I think the 1080 looks more like the real stuff, but the Di-Noc actually has a pronounced texture to it.

IMG_20131220_212529686_HDR.jpg

There should be several threads on here about it, I've done it as well on several keyboards now. Take your time and it shouldn't be too hard, use a lighter and BARELY heat the wrap up on corners and it will form much easier. Literally a split second of the flame 1/4" away from the vinyl is all you need to soften it up, some people use a large candle. Clean it EXTREMELY good, or it will peel off over time. You want to use something like rubbing alcohol that will get all the oils from your fingers off.

You want to use 3M 1080 scotchprint, the Chinese stuff is pretty much useless... but watch out as some of the Chinese vinyl has 3M printed on the back so make sure you are buying from someone who is guarantying it to be genuine 3M.

3M Di-Noc will work... but its a lot harder to work with than 1080. Di-Noc is really meant for flat applications where you want the texture.

I used Di-Noc on my printer to cover up the beat up door from me opening to change toners and not moving the stuff in front of it, and the edges refuse to stay down.

IMG_20150115_202511853_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150115_202537250.jpg

This keyboard was done with 1080 Brushed Aluminum:

IMG_20150115_202553578_HDR.jpg

Left roll is Di-Noc and the right roll is 1080, compared to a sheet of 4K twill carbon fiber. Visually I think the 1080 looks more like the real stuff, but the Di-Noc actually has a pronounced texture to it.

IMG_20131220_212529686_HDR.jpg

Great thanks.

Will I have any problems with my odd keyboard as shown above?

And another problem, my keyboard has moving parts. It can adjust the split as you can see in above pictures. Not sure how I would overcome this.

I would probably have to leave the middle between the two halves Un-wrapped