Finished Build: Now What?

New pc up and running! Yay! Now what?

I would like to be able to

1. Run some tests on cpu, gpu, and memory, overclock my cpu and gpu. Where are some good places to start with that?

2. Find all the basic programs I need such as pc protection and all that stuff you need. Where can I get it.

3. Get some sweet custom lighting for my K70 without reading a 200 page manual (Thank you Corsair.... -_- Dx) Where is a good place to figure that stuff out? Videos are preferable. I heard Corsair has some videos up about that but I haven't looked into it yet.

Thanks all!!!!

Kill the Machine!

You want a test?

Boot up battlefield 4 on ultra high settings, or Metro Last Light.

Mod the crap out of skyrim and boot that up. Etc.

See how well you can run Minecraft on amplified world type.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

To test your gpu download unigine heaven and let that run for like an hour.

For cpu use OCCT and let that run for about an hour.

And I'm assuming you want an antivirus software, I prefer bitdefender. Got total security on G2A for $27.99 (Not all people trust G2A)

MSI afterburner is good for overclocking, I use precision x just because I have had problems in the past with afterburner

[-] i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] EVGA Gtx 980 Sc [-] Corsair H105 [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TBNRunity/saved/#savedbuild_1797964

You want a test?

Boot up battlefield 4 on ultra high settings, or Metro Last Light.

Mod the crap out of skyrim and boot that up. Etc.

See how well you can run Minecraft on amplified world type.

idk why people suggest minecraft. I understand its badly programmed and stuff. but why not crysis 3 ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

CPU testing - OCCT

GPU testing - Firestrike. Unigine Valley or also OCCT

Memory testing - MemTest86

Win 7 - Windows Defender, Win 8 - Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast free antivirus (only a free email registration for a year and you can renew it after that. Never got any spam)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Go to the LTT youtube channel, they have some videos up on benchmarking/new cpu testing for when you've set up your build.

http://youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

Also, if you're looking for a site to download the programs you want, wit no bloatware crap, you can go to https://ninite.com/ 

This is a site Linus Suggests when you have a new computer, rather than going everywhere to get your downloads you can go to that one site. This is in the same video where he was doing a build, and once it was setup he used that site, and he also did the tests on the new machine.

Sorry I don't have that link hand for you, but it's not too hard to find.

Also - For basic PC security, I'd suggest just going with Microsoft security essentials, AND Malwarebytes Anti malware. MSSE it's great, but it doesn't catch everything.

Unless you're going to be careless. You shouldn't need more. Malwarebytes is great too.

Also - Don't get Norton. Just don't.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

idk why people suggest minecraft. I understand its badly programmed and stuff. but why not crysis 3 ?

Have you tried running it on Amplified world type? Even my system struggles a bit with a 4690k stock clocked and a gtx 970 strix. Maybe the game just can't run good on amplified world type, not entirely sure.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

New pc up and running! Yay! Now what?

I would like to be able to

1. Run some tests on cpu, gpu, and memory, overclock my cpu and gpu. Where are some good places to start with that?

2. Find all the basic programs I need such as pc protection and all that stuff you need. Where can I get it.

3. Get some sweet custom lighting for my K70 without reading a 200 page manual (Thank you Corsair.... -_- Dx) Where is a good place to figure that stuff out? Videos are preferable. I heard Corsair has some videos up about that but I haven't looked into it yet.

Thanks all!!!!

go to ninite.com and download a malware and antivirus and all the browsers you use

and then get yourself some extensions that block ads (turn it for LTT though >_<)

For cpu use Prime95

For GPU use MSI afterburner

For Security don't get a shitty ass Norton

Get yourself a free lifetime copy of bitdefender

Have you tried running it on Amplified world type? Even my system struggles a bit with a 4690k stock clocked and a gtx 970 strix. Maybe the game just can't run good on amplified world type, not entirely sure.

like I said. game is poorly desing and optimised. I mean. with vsynk off and everything to high settings. my 780 has trouble running it in amplified.thats on a server I host on my pc with a 4790k

though in normal world with all minimum. I somehow manage to reach 4000 fps

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

For cpu use Prime95

For GPU use MSI afterburner

For Security don't get a shitty ass Norton

Get yourself a free lifetime copy of bitdefender

DO NOT use prime 95 if you have a haswell based cpu prime95 doesn't play well with those use Aida64 instead. also post specs so others can see what awesomeness you are squandering messing about on forums instead of gaming!

@ACoffeeGuy make sure to follow your topics so you see when someone responds if they don't quote or @ you.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Thanks man! I will definitely be doing that soon. It's so easy to get caught up in making sure everything's up to specs, I find myself forgetting why I built it in the first place lol I will have a PC Partpicker list and all that good stuff. And some photos.

Kill the Machine!

Avast anti-virus is good to get.

i guess you have a steam account and so are you asking for good games to test it out on or testing software?

got to love Asus components

Avast anti-virus is good to get.

i guess you have a steam account and so are you asking for good games to test it out on or testing software?

Yes I have a steam account. For sure wouldn't mind some good recommends for games to test out.

Kill the Machine!

Yes I have a steam account. For sure wouldn't mind some good recommends for games to test out.

Tomb Raider 2013 is a pretty good benchmark, fun game too.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

i recently got Ryse - son or Rome, and its pretty nice, amazing graphics and smooth game play.

if you want to test it out on something really demanding something like a simulation game can be if you like that kind of thing. from Microsoft flight sim X or X plane 10, to Euro truck Simulator 2, Assetto corsa racing game, ARMA3 is a militry type sim, Sniper 3, all depends on the stuff you like and if its on sale.

Syrim is another good one, when GTA5 comes out it will be amazing to see it on proper PC gaming graphics.

so much stuff to play nobody should ever get bored.

got to love Asus components