Wine/playonlinux question

Go to solution Solved by xox,

I you're gonna play Windows games, get Windows.

Wine doesn't really work very well in my experience.

So I want to use Ubuntu but I don't like that game I want to play arnt on it (eg origins games) so if I use wine or playonlinux would I be able to play multiplayer on the games that are running through it and also with the soon release of bfh (battlefield hardline) would that work and especially in multiplayer and if so straight away or need to wait for an update on playonlinux/wine to get compatibility issues sorted

Cheers!

Compatible with Windows 95

Wine is only good for 2D or relatively simple 3D games

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Windows is so expensive :(

Windows is so expensive :(

I know right, but all good things cost :(

Do you have something like an old laptop running anything from Vista upwards [that you no longer use]? You could use that as a viable operating system (you can re-use codes)

I know right, but all good things cost :(

Do you have something like an old laptop running anything from Vista upwards [that you no longer use]? You could use that as a viable operating system (you can re-use codes)

I got a laptop using 7 but how if it's not pro

I got a laptop using 7 but how if it's not pro

If you can read the sticker on the bottom, it should be fine and good to go. You may have to call up the automated Microsoft hotline [as it's new hardware], but as long at you aren't using your laptop, it should be fine. I would recommend installing ubuntu on the laptop if possible because it means that you don't have a paperweight lying around and when you turn it on it won't invalidate the license on the other computer.

You can download the iso which you can burn or put it onto a memory stick here: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

USB stick creator here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

If you can read the sticker on the bottom, it should be fine and good to go. You may have to call up the automated Microsoft hotline [as it's new hardware], but as long at you aren't using your laptop, it should be fine. I would recommend installing ubuntu on the laptop if possible because it means that you don't have a paperweight lying around and when you turn it on it won't invalidate the license on the other computer.

You can download the iso which you can burn or put it onto a memory stick here: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

USB stick creator here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

thanks and btw sick profile pic

thanks and btw sick profile pic

Wine can be difficult to setup and requires allot of tinkering with settings, PlayOnLinux has all that done for you on a preset list of downloadable configurations. So if the game is listed there it should run fine, although it is not guaranteed.

Online games usually wont work because the anti-cheats will label the virtual windows software created by wine as a virtual machine and prevent you from going any further. As stated above i would stick with windows on the desktop for gaming [for now], however I believe Ubuntu and other Linux derivatives are excellent for laptops and non gaming desktops.

The recent boom with Linux games caused by steam might pave the way for gaming on Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distributions, this can take years though. [seeing as Mac OSX still isn't a normal choice for gaming despite the increase in people wanting it]

Lord of Helium.

EA game titles are notorious for working poorly on WINE due to the game engine. I would stick to Windows to play these games.

Wine is only good for 2D or relatively simple 3D games

That is not true. Just for example, GTA IV and Skyrim run pretty well under Wine. Check WineHQ for reports on how well a game or program runs, if at all, under Wine.

That being said, Wine is far from perfect. If your intent is to be the running the latest Windows games, you're better off running them in Windows.