What can I do with a phone with a cracked screen?

ciprian97pop

so, today I cracked the screen on my Acer S500

it happend quite stupidly. my phone was on a book on my bed and when I reached for the book, the phone fell on parquet floor from about 30cm(1ft). the screen was pretty beaten up and it was full of scratches but I still don't think that it should break from a 1feet drop

here comes the problem: on this model (of the phone), the digitizer is sticked to the glass which means that now, that the screen is cracked, the touchscreen doesn't work even though the display still works fine

TL;DR:

The question is: is there any program which I can use to at least unlock my phone or gain control of it(check my notifications). I could install any app from the play store because the wi-fi is turned on and my phone is rooted(if you know any app that needs root)

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Hi,

If it is under warranty, then give it to the acer service center and change your display. No other go.. 

Same happened to me except I didn't even drop it, I had it in my pocket and I guess I touched an edge, but suddenly it was cracked.

If you can, shut the phone down and look for a new screen/phone.

Hi,

If it is under warranty, then give it to the acer service center and change your display. No other go.. 

You still have to pay for it, so you might as well look for 3rd party services, as they might be cheaper.

Hi,

Same happened to me except I didn't even drop it, I had it in my pocket and I guess I touched an edge, but suddenly it was cracked.

If you can, shut the phone down and look for a new screen/phone.

the phone's warranty expired in december last year and a new screen for it would cost around 100euro

I guess that I should look for a new phone

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Yes. Otherwise try changing it with any 3rd party service dealer in lesser rate (or) go for a new one.. 

Yes, of course you should try to have the warranty fulfilled if there is any. However as far as regaining control of the device, you could use an OTG Cable, paired with a mouse to do things on the phone as far as maybe recovering information.

Yes, of course you should try to have the warranty fulfilled if there is any.

Warranty does not cover physical injuries/damage caused by the user, so there's really no point.

Warranty does not cover physical injuries/damage caused by the user, so there's really no point.

That's generally the case, however, how could you know that they don't have an accidental damage warranty? It's always still the best to find out.

Also believe it or not, companies will occasionally do the opposite of what's expected, such as the case with Motorola. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8575/20140617/own-a-motorola-phone-with-broken-screen-you-can-get-a-replacement-for-free.htm

Since your phone is rooted, you can install Webkey to control your device without a working touchscreen. You'll have to emulate touch events to get it working at first, but after that you'll be able to control the phone from any device on the local network with a browser. If you plan on getting a new phone anyway, you can setup this old phone to be useful as a webcam/security camera or other things that don't need a screen.

not sure about yours, but to replace a iphone 4/4s display, its only like 20$ to do it yourself. A galaxy s4 is 5$ to repair. I did both, id really look into it

not sure about yours, but to replace a iphone 4/4s display, its only like 20$ to do it yourself. A galaxy s4 is 5$ to repair. I did both, id really look into it

In his case, the digitizer is also broken and it's sticked together, so he needs to replace the WHOLE DISPLAY, not just the front glass.

Screen does not always equal display.

That's generally the case, however, how could you know that they don't have an accidental damage warranty? It's always still the best to find out.

Also believe it or not, companies will occasionally do the opposite of what's expected, such as the case with Motorola. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8575/20140617/own-a-motorola-phone-with-broken-screen-you-can-get-a-replacement-for-free.htm

I guess you're right there.