24 inch 4K worth it?

Monkey Dust

Hi guys, I'm going to be replacing my PC in the next couple of months. The whole lot, starting again from scratch, so my current hardware's inability to drive anything more demanding than minesweeper at 4K, is irrelvant. But I don't have a very big desk, so I don't want to go bigger than a 24 inch monitor.

I can get the 4K Dell P2415Q for £353, which seems pretty reasonable for a 4K monitor. However I have a nagging doubt that the pixel density on a 1080p 24" is reasonable, and 4K wouldn't make such a big difference as it does with larger screens. Has anyone got a 4K 24" who can tell me what it's like, and if they think it's worth it over 1080p? My use will mostly be games, browsing and watching films, I rarely do anything productive on my home PC.

I'm aware 4K isn't quite there yet, particularly with regards to scaling in some programs, and driving the latest games (I'm mostly thinking GTAV when it lands) will mean spending a ridiculous amount of money on GPUs, but I'm very tempted regardless.

How far away do you sit

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

About 50cm/20inch

I recommend the 27" version then, 24" 4k is too small/dense imo.

My 28" 4k display is perfect about ~18 inches away.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I've got the tape measure out, I'm not convinced a 27 will leave enough room for speakers on my desk, at least safely without things dangerously close to the edge. Maybe a new desk is in order, hmmmm

I've got the tape measure out, I'm not convinced a 27 will leave enough room for speakers on my desk, at least safely without things dangerously close to the edge. Maybe a new desk is in order, hmmmm

You are measuring 27" as the diagonal measurement, right? The P2715Q is 25.2" wide.

Yes I looked up the dimensions of a random 27" monitor, unfortunately I have a tiny desk. It's quite shallow, so I have to have everything at a bit of an angle, rather than straight in front of me. Unless I could find decent speakers I could place under the monitor, that might make a 27 or even a 28 fit...

Yes I looked up the dimensions of a random 27" monitor, unfortunately I have a tiny desk. It's quite shallow, so I have to have everything at a bit of an angle, rather than straight in front of me. Unless I could find decent speakers I could place under the monitor, that might make a 27 or even a 28 fit...

Which speakers do you have?

I currently have some Logitech ones, which have bulges towards the bottom, so they won't lie flat. I'm thinking some flat sided speakers I can use on their sides underneath the monitor could make the 27" one work.

You might consider waiting for the Dell U2515H to launch, a 25" 2560x1440 IPS monitor announced a few months ago. The bezels are also extremely slim, so the width of the monitor is actually about the same as the P2415Q. The pixel density wouldn't be so extreme either.