Moved steam's "Downloading" directory to my HDD

marat569

I thought it's a good idea (Pretty much is) to move steam's downloading directory to my HDD via a symbolic link to save SSD writes.

What steam does when it updates/downloads is

1) Download into steamapps/downloading

2) After download complete, copy/insert/do some patch from steamapps/downloading to steamapps/gamename

Hence taking up SSD writes (possibly 2x as much as the game itself takes)

To do this I simply made a symlink to my HDD so now steam downloads to my HDD, when the download is complete moves the game to my SSD.

---

To do this

1) Exit out of steam

2) Delete the folder downloading in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\"

3)make a folder named "Steam Downloading" in your HDD, for example mine is B:\sdownloads

4)run this as admin in CMD

MKLINK /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading" "B:\sdownloads"

The second directory can be anything you want.

---

Just sharing some thoughts :)

when downloading a game initially you can select another drive to download on

This is not for where the game itself ends up, its where steam puts the temp files of the game you're downloading or if a game is updating

This is not for where the game itself ends up, its where steam puts the temp files of the game you're downloading or if a game is updating

? i thought thats where all the game files go

It is, i have all my games downloaded to my storage drive that way

Main Rig

CPU-
AMD FX 8350 | CPU Cooler- CM hyper 212 Evo | GPU- Radeon HD 7970 | RAM- G.SKill Ripjawz X 2x4 | Storage- 1TB WD Black | 128gb Plextor Ms5 | Case- BitFenix Shinobi   | Motherboard- Gigabyte AM3+ UD3 | PSU- Rosewill hive 750 watt

Media PC

CPU- A10-5800k | GPU- Onboard | RAM- Ripjaws X 4Gb | Storage- Seagate 1TB | Case- Bitfenix Prodigy M | Motherboard- MSI A75M-E35 | PSU- Antec 350W Basiq

nope.

this is why i plan on just having a raid config with like four drives. So i can have the ease of a single drive system with backup.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

It is, i have all my games downloaded to my storage drive that way

Unless your temp files are set to that second drive its stilk gonna eat up some write times on your main drive. Which, if its your boot/os drive will reduce preofrmance over time and the life of that drive.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

The games go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\game name

but before they end up there, you have to download them first, so they start off in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\downloading", after they are done downloading they are copied to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\game name"

basically wasting writes on an SSD. Also when they update.

After the game is done downloading it still ends up in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\game name"

Nice solution.

Personally id rather have it write to my SSD as i'd sooner replace my SSD, than worry about degradation on my HDD dedicated to my Games Library.

I have a HDD with SteamLibrary, OriginLibrary, Battle.net and GeneralGames that is dedicated to just holding all my game files for easy install

Everything else is on my NAS, so my computers main HDD is essentially just OS & Programs install :)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

also none of you get it v-v, i hope somebody can explain wtf the "downloading" directory!

Nice solution.

Personally id rather have it write to my SSD as i'd sooner replace my SSD, than worry about degradation on my HDD dedicated to my Games Library.

I have a HDD with SteamLibrary, OriginLibrary, Battle.net and GeneralGames that is dedicated to just holding all my game files for easy install

Everything else is on my NAS, so my computers main HDD is essentially just OS & Programs install :)

This doesn't move your game library!!!! It just saves write space on your ssd (If a game is 50gb, it will waste 100gb worth of writes)

All steam downloads before they go to their rightful directory go through "downloading"

> Click install on game

> Install files go to "downloading"

> Once the game finishes downloading, installation starts

> Installs to steamapps/common/counter-strike tits

> deletes all files in "downloading"

when you download a game, you just just download the game, you download the installer like every other program, and then the installer runs and installs the game; it's just silent on steam.

This doesn't move your game library!!!! It just saves write space on your ssd (If a game is 50gb, it will waste 100gb worth of writes)

All steam downloads before they go to their rightful directory go through "downloading"

> Click install on game

> Install files go to "downloading"

> Once the game finishes downloading, installation starts

> Installs to steamapps/common/counter-strike tits

> deletes all files in "downloading"

when you download a game, you just just download the game, you download the installer like every other program, and then the installer runs and installs the game; it's just silent on steam.

I know that.....which is why I said id rather NOT move the download cache to my library drive......

Id rather wear my SSD than my HDD.....and im not going to have a HDD dedicated as a scratch disk.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I know that.....which is why I said id rather NOT move the download cache to my library drive......

Id rather wear my SSD than my HDD.....and im not going to have a HDD dedicated as a scratch disk.

uhh HDDs aren't really "scratch" disks, just writes don't "cost" as much as they do on SSDs

valuing an HDD more than an SSD is something new.

also none of you get it v-v, i hope somebody can explain wtf the "downloading" directory!

I get it.

You mean that, by default, even if you install a game to your HDD (lets say D: ), steam will download the installer to the SSD (C: )?

I get it.

You mean that, by default, even if you install a game to your HDD (lets say D: ), steam will download the installer to the SSD (C: )?

I never used the "Use new steam directory" option, I would use steam-mover.

Check your new steam directory on your HDD and see if there is a downloads directory -- if not than it's wasting your SSD.

uhh HDDs aren't really "scratch" disks, just writes don't "cost" as much as they do on SSDs

valuing an HDD more than an SSD is something new.

A scratch space is just a place dedicated to temporary files, which is essentially what you're doing.

Value to me is more than just dollars. I upgrade my SSD's much more frequently, next upgrade will be to an PCI-E M.2 drive.

I have a 3TB drive dedicated to my Games, so I don't have to uninstall - but if that drive fails, then it means i have to download hundreds and hundreds of GB's of games, and go through the hassle of re-modding/patching some of them. To me, theres more value in keeping that drive healthy, than my SSD.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I never used the "Use new steam directory" option, I would use steam-mover.

Check your new steam directory on your HDD and see if there is a downloads directory -- if not than it's wasting your SSD.

I am also going to delete steam from my SSD and move it to my HDD. Is their a way to move the current games over to the HDD. Will this corrupt the files? Will cut and paste be enough or should I just delete and re-install all games.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

A scratch space is just a place dedicated to temporary files, which is essentially what you're doing.

Value to me is more than just dollars. I upgrade my SSD's much more frequently, next upgrade will be to an PCI-E M.2 drive.

I have a 3TB drive dedicated to my Games, so I don't have to uninstall - but if that drive fails, then it means i have to download hundreds and hundreds of GB's of games, and go through the hassle of re-modding/patching some of them. To me, theres more value in keeping that drive healthy, than my SSD.

3TB doesn't take that long with a 60mbit down connection :)

Also most AAA games aren't as fun with their loading times unless their on an SSD. 

I have a 512gb 840 pro, and a 1tb WD blue -- the WD blue is in perfect health according to smart yet has been on for 203 days with an 800 on/off count.

W3fZtwW.png

edit: I also moved all of chromes cache/temp via a symlink to my HDD (waste of SSD writes)

Edited by marat569

I am also going to delete steam from my SSD and move it to my HDD. Is their a way to move the current games over to the HDD. Will this corrupt the files? Will cut and paste be enough or should I just delete and re-install all games.

Use a program called "Steam Mover", it makes symbolic links for you and makes it that you press a button and moves a game from your SSD to any directory you want (Can be on another drive)

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Use a program called "Steam Mover", it makes symbolic links for you and makes it that you press a button and moves a game from your SSD to any directory you want (Can be on another drive)

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Thank you. I currently have Steam installed on all drives lol because this was before that option to select a drive. I need to work on this tonight. I got a 512GB SSD and a 256 GB SSD. Thanks for the help again. Need to move my steam to my 2TB HDD.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

3TB doesn't take that long with a 60mbit down connection :)

Also most AAA games aren't as fun with their loading times unless their on an SSD. 

I have a 512gb 840 pro, and a 1tb WD blue -- the WD blue is in perfect health according to smart yet has been on for 203 days with an 800 on/off count.

edit: I also moved all of chromes cache/temp via a symlink to my HDD (waste of SSD writes)

Yeah I have a 70/10 connection, so its not to bad. but its a hassle to restart all those games downloading again, reconfiguring and repatching them I dont want to deal with.

I've been running a Games drive for years, migrated from my original 500GB Samsung F3. I'm fine with the loading times.

Many tests show that very few titles actually benefit from SSD vs HDD. There are a few exceptions such as BF4 where its noticeable, but in most cases a faster graphics card with more/faster memory makes more of a difference.

Which my 980's are plenty fast enough that SSD loading games is negligible.

I run everything off SSD's apart from my Games and my personal docs (which i've regedited the User Shell paths to my NAS array)

My HDD's have been on considerably longer than 200 days :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah I have a 70/10 connection, so its not to bad. but its a hassle to restart all those games downloading again, reconfiguring and repatching them I dont want to deal with.

I've been running a Games drive for years, migrated from my original 500GB Samsung F3. I'm fine with the loading times.

Many tests show that very few titles actually benefit from SSD vs HDD. There are a few exceptions such as BF4 where its noticeable, but in most cases a faster graphics card with more/faster memory makes more of a difference.

Which my 980's are plenty fast enough that SSD loading games is negligible.

I run everything off SSD's apart from my Games and my personal docs (which i've regedited the User Shell paths to my NAS array)

My HDD's have been on considerably longer than 200 days :P

Skyrim mods, all I have to say.

And most games on ultra you'll see textures loading in slowly while running in an open-world game.

Thank you. I currently have Steam installed on all drives lol because this was before that option to select a drive. I need to work on this tonight. I got a 512GB SSD and a 256 GB SSD. Thanks for the help again. Need to move my steam to my 2TB HDD.

I just have steam installed on my SSD, and I just put some games that don't need it' speed like CS:GO, TF2, etc on my HDD; CoD:AF, FC4, Skyrim + 200 mods are on my SSD :)

Also most apps are on my HDD (I have a B:\program files\ and a B:\program files (x86)\

I just have steam installed on my SSD, and I just put some games that don't need it' speed like CS:GO, TF2, etc on my HDD; CoD:AF, FC4, Skyrim + 200 mods are on my SSD :)

Also most apps are on my HDD (I have a B:\program files\ and a B:\program files (x86)\

Speaking of Skyrim, can you tell me the amount of GBs needed for it plus the mods. I plan on getting a bunch of mods and I just bought the game. I think I will put mmo games and gpu intense games on my ssd's.

Speaking of Skyrim, can you tell me the amount of GBs needed for it plus the mods. I plan on getting a bunch of mods and I just bought the game. I think I will put mmo games and gpu intense games on my ssd's.

1 ) Use mod organizer, #1 mod program

2 ) Depends what kind of mod; textures are large, gameplay changes are usually code so smaller

My Skyrim mod folder is 27GB (Just ModOrganizer + mods, the actual game is somewhere else)

I have some world texture overhauls and I check my disk usage, skyrim takes a lot of SSD/HDD usage (not write, read) is high because it always loading textures. 

Skyrim is an old game, it does not use over 4gb of your memory and CPU usage; what really improves it's performance is 1) VRAM VRAM VRAM 2) a fast SSD [if you plan on modding]