Colour & Photography

ACanadian

So im currently getting back into Photography in a small scale, and im thinking about Printing some of my work with my Brother MFC-J45100W and im concerned about colour calibration.

I have a 27" BenQ GW2750 AVMA Monitor that is colour calibrated best i can get it without any actual calibration tool.

How do i make it so that the colours i see on screen are reproduced when i print and is my monitor good enough for me to do so accurately ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's nothing you can really do short of getting an actual calibration tool.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There's nothing you can really do short of getting an actual calibration tool.

You need both a calibrated monitor and calibrated printer.

Both true!

Something to note, @ACanadian, is that you're monitor is a AMVA (Advanced Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) monitor and, whilst not as inaccurate as TN monitors at producing colours, it's not going to produce the best most accurate colours for you, even with a hardware calibration tool. Your best bet would be to look into purchasing a new IPS monitor, like the BenQ GW2765HT, or if you're doing this professionally maybe you should look at monitors like the one of ASUS' ProArt series of monitors:

These include the following:

• ASUS PA238Q (1920x1080 16:9 display)

- The least expensive of the series (if you're on a tight budget).

• ASUS PA248Q (1920x1200 16:10 display)

- This one is the midrange model (if you can afford to spend a tad more then this would be a good choice).

• ASUS PA249Q (1920x1200 16:10 display)

- This one is similar to the previous model but is able to provide you with professional

- level colour accuracy and can be hardware calibrated within the monitor itself.

• ASUS PA279Q (2560x1440 16:9 display)

- This one is the most expensive of the series as it comes with a much higher resolution,

- but is similar to the previous model as it too can be hardware calibrated.

If you're not sure what I mean by "hardware calibration", to put it simply, it basically means that once you calibrate the monitor with a hardware colour calibrator, like the i1DisplayPro, that calibration can then be stored in the monitor and not just at the software level with an ICC profile like the PA238Q and PA248Q models.

I hope this helps you out and if you need any more help just PM me. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Thanks for the replys everyone, im definitely looking into getting a calibration tool now, and have started reading the PDF posted.

However for now ill stick with the monitor, as i did some reading and AMVA apparently has a wider contrast ratio then IPS so ill wait until i calibrate the monitor to do make a decision, i also game on it a lot and its worked a charm for me in that regard so far.

Its not professional for now, but it may be going that way in the future so ill be looking in to the PA248Q in the Future.

Now i just have to get everything set up and to start testing!

Edit: also if youd like to see, a small portion of what i use my camera for (these pictures are old) https://500px.com/A-Canadian