Laptop HDD removal. How to?

Tenge500

Here's a pic of my laptop with some of the back cover removed:

xvPBefi.jpg?1

Which one is the HDD and how to remove it? xD

Giant thing closer to your leg. Should be able to pull/push it towards the left to remove it from the connectors and then lift out.

EDIT: may need to undo some screws or something first.

Giant thing closer to your leg. Should be able to pull/push it towards the left to remove it from the connectors and then lift out.

EDIT: may need to undo some screws or something first.

You mean the that black rectangle?

You mean the that black rectangle?

Yes.

Keep in mind that you'll probably void your warranty by doing this.

There should be 3/4 screws on the corners, check them before pulling it out and breaking something ^^

Yes.

Keep in mind that you'll probably void your warranty by doing this.

Warranty is already void. This laptop is about 4 years old.

I have removed HDD easily, thanks. But how do I connect it to pc?

It's in a drive sled, which will be held down by screws or something.

You need to have a sata cable connected to the motherboard to the hard drive you are installing. Then use one of the sata power cables from your psu to power the drive. 

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/img/data/articles/2008/2754/4%20-%20SATA%20connectors.jpg

these two should be connected for the drive to work.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Its normal 2.5'' drive. You connect it like SSD. So you might need adapter from 3.5'' to 2.5'', sata power and sata data. After you log into OS, you will see it as normal storage drive.

E: Or if you have spare 2.5'' slim enclosure, you can use it as shroud and connect via USB. I did that last time I had to backup from broken laptop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have a CX430 PSU.

your PSU should have an extra SATA power cable on it (really it should have several left over). Plug it into the drive, and then plug in a SATA data cable. You'll have to reboot for it to mount... I think. It generally depends on the motherboard.

your PSU should have an extra SATA power cable on it (really it should have several left over). Plug it into the drive, and then plug in a SATA data cable. You'll have to reboot for it to mount... I think. It generally depends on the motherboard.

You mean these? I can't connect the upper one (in red circle) to it...

kLfq3zi.jpg?1

So I should connect the lower one (in red circle) to it and an other one which is currently in desktop HDD?

No the bottom one, the L shaped connector should fit. The top is Molex.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

You mean these? I can't connect the upper one (in red circle) to it...

So I should connect the lower one (in red circle) to it and an other one which is currently in desktop HDD?

Noooo, the upper one is a Molex connector. It's a general 12 volt power connector. You need the lower one. the connector is L-shaped, like the data connector but wider.

Is the hard drive from the laptop using a proprietary SATA connector? If so, you'll need to pull that off.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I pulled a little connector out of desktop hard drive and placed into laptop hdd. Perfectly fits.

But I get blue screen before OS loads up. I see the Windows 7 loading screen then blue screen and restart. :S

I pulled a little connector out of desktop hard drive and placed into laptop hdd. Perfectly fits.

But I get blue screen before OS loads up. I see the Windows 7 loading screen then blue screen and restart. :S

You're probably trying to boot off of the laptop hard drive. You can't do that. You need to plug in your desktop hard drive again and connect the laptop hard drive using a separate SATA cable.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You're probably trying to boot off of the laptop hard drive. You can't do that. You need to plug in your desktop hard drive again and connect the laptop hard drive using a separate SATA cable.

I set IDE type to ACHI in bios and it managed to boot up. But the problem is I would have to install drivers again and probably wipe off everything and it takes a lot of time. Was a bad idea.

I set IDE type to ACHI in bios and it managed to boot up. But the problem is I would have to install drivers again and probably wipe off everything and it takes a lot of time. Was a bad idea.

Why did you try to boot off of it in the first place? Also, I didn't mean you couldn't boot off of it being a laptop hard drive. I meant because of the OS.

You really need to outline what you are attempting to do so we can help you better.