Gaming Laptop Advice/Question

Clyne
Go to solution Solved by D2ultima,

I'm helping a friend to buy a gaming laptop but i'm not sure with a few things.

The question is that is it worth it to buy a gaming laptop now or should he wait for Broadwell to come out and then buy one. 

He wants a gaming laptop that would last him about 4 years or more.

He would probably play games like GTA, CS:GO, TF2, LoL. 

But also should he buy a Broadwell laptop at launch or buy a clearance Haswell laptop because it would probably be cheaper?

Budget: 800 dollars USD.

$800 USD is not getting him anything that'll play GTA 5 at any acceptable experience. Even building a desktop with all the components of a laptop (keyboard, mouse, battery, monitor, wifi card, etc) and getting it to run GTA 5 would be difficult at $800. And it's not going to hold up gaming for 4 years either. I highly suggest he at least bump it up to $1000, or he's going to need to make serious compromises. If he could get $1300, he could get something pretty good that could last him, however.

I think core m already launched and it's broadwell... Well the good thing is broadwell is mostly fanless so eh

That is -U and -Y series. Those are basically stuff like ultrabook CPUs; low power, low heat, etc. They're not meant to number crunch like the -H, -HQ, -M or -MQ chips would. Intel has not shown off nor announced any line of broadwell in those levels of power yet. Don't wait for that; you might not see it (even if it comes) till past the middle of this year.

If you want to understand a bit more about mobile CPUs, look at the guide in my signature.

The question is that is it worth it to buy a gaming laptop now or should he wait for Broadwell to come out and then buy one. 

But also should he buy a Broadwell laptop at launch or buy a clearance Haswell laptop because it would probably be cheaper?

Depends if he wants to wait... Arent Mobile Broadwells set to Launch in like Q3?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I think core m already launched and it's broadwell... Well the good thing is broadwell is mostly fanless so eh

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

$800 USD is not getting him anything that'll play GTA 5 at any acceptable experience. Even building a desktop with all the components of a laptop (keyboard, mouse, battery, monitor, wifi card, etc) and getting it to run GTA 5 would be difficult at $800. And it's not going to hold up gaming for 4 years either. I highly suggest he at least bump it up to $1000, or he's going to need to make serious compromises. If he could get $1300, he could get something pretty good that could last him, however.

That is -U and -Y series. Those are basically stuff like ultrabook CPUs; low power, low heat, etc. They're not meant to number crunch like the -H, -HQ, -M or -MQ chips would. Intel has not shown off nor announced any line of broadwell in those levels of power yet. Don't wait for that; you might not see it (even if it comes) till past the middle of this year.

If you want to understand a bit more about mobile CPUs, look at the guide in my signature.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

He's probably not gonna play GTA 5 on that laptop because he already has GTA 5 on Xbox 360, i meant like older GTA games.

He's probably not gonna play GTA 5 on that laptop because he already has GTA 5 on Xbox 360, i meant like older GTA games.

GTA SA will run on mainly anything, sure. GTA 4... I suppose. At the $800 budget, his best bet is a Lenovo Y50. It has CPU throttling issues and the screen is garbage, but the maxwell GTX 860M will perform just fine. If he can bump the budget again we can find Clevos or MSIs with some extra oomph. 

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

GTA SA will run on mainly anything, sure. GTA 4... I suppose. At the $800 budget, his best bet is a Lenovo Y50. It has CPU throttling issues and the screen is garbage, but the maxwell GTX 860M will perform just fine. If he can bump the budget again we can find Clevos or MSIs with some extra oomph. 

Thanks for the advice then! :)

Thanks for the advice then! :)

No problem. Just in case, I'd show you the $1000 model and the $1400 model I was considering in case he bumps his budget. These choices are 15", but other size variants exist.