Razer Blade 14 QHD+ VS MacBookPro 13 Retina

monjanger

Before you comment "OMG, these are the worst choices possible for a laptop, get a freakin' Lenovo" I would like to state my case. This will be used mostly for school. My school's campus is fairly large and I will have to take this to every class. I know that more and more laptop brands are coming out with lighter options but they don't fit my needs. I want a high resolution which is hard to pack into a laptop, but Razer and Mac both have what I want in their computers. I don't know what else to say, I am at a draw. Should I go with Razer or Mac? 

Edit; I will do light gaming.

Edit; How long is Razer battery life?

Edit; When will the Razer Blade 2015 be coming out as well as the MacBookPro 2015? Will they have better performance and should I wait?

I am actually going to vote mac...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Will you be gaming? That is the main selling point of the Razer. You can get a lot of QHD display computers for cheaper.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Will you be gaming? That is the main selling point of the Razer. You can get a lot of QHD display computers for cheaper.

Some.

Even 'light' gaming on a Macbook can cause you one main issue. Heat. They aren't designed to dissipate that amount of heat, and so your fans will ramp up like crazy (loud). But, they do handle light games fine, obviously depending on which spec you go for. 

I'm going to say Razer on this occasion... There's not many laptops i think look better than the Macbook, but this is a close contender. 

Some.

You don't have to go with a full-blown gaming laptop with a dedicated 870m or 970m if you're going to be doing some gaming. With high end GPUs in laptops, you are sacrificing battery life, portability, heat, and price. A MacBook can handle light gaming, as can laptops with integrated graphics.. However, if you want to play more intensive games, especially with a high resolution screen, you may want a dedicated card (i.e. the Blade, or some other "gaming" laptop)

Either way, I would wait for Broadwell powered laptops to be released. They're more efficient, and it'll save you battery life if you choose to buy a gaming laptop (or just a laptop in general)

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

You don't have to go with a full-blown gaming laptop with a dedicated 870m or 970m if you're going to be doing some gaming. With high end GPUs in laptops, you are sacrificing battery life, portability, heat, and price. A MacBook can handle light gaming, as can laptops with integrated graphics.. However, if you want to play more intensive games, especially with a high resolution screen, you may want a dedicated card (i.e. the Blade, or some other "gaming" laptop)

Either way, I would wait for Broadwell powered laptops to be released. They're more efficient, and it'll save you battery life if you choose to buy a gaming laptop (or just a laptop in general)

I have a desktop where I will be doing my gaming :P

Can you handle OSX?

If not that should narrow the choice

(Or just get parallels, its not bad)

Then I would say Macbook, as mobile gaming is never ideal. You will always get a better experience from a desktop, and the premium you pay for the extra gaming hardware is not worth it IMO. I'd say get the Macbook, as it is an amazing machine capable of most tasks. I own the 13 inch, and can say that it is by far better than any other laptop out there. The screen is amazing, it is pretty fast for a dual core, and as long as you get the 8GB+ model you should have no problems. I'd also recommend the 256GB model at least, as using boot camp for windows or parallels will be a nice option to have.

If that's the case, and the Blade and MBPr are your only two choices, I would go with the MacBook.

It can do light gaming, but youre going to have better battery life. I would still wait for a Broadwell version, though.

I have a 2012 MBP (non retina) and I really like it, if thats any assurance/help. 

I like MacBooks, but I'll vote Razer Blade. Most games I want to play aren't on OSX, apart from GTA :P

I have a Retina MacBook Pro, it's one hell-of-a-good laptop and it keeps its value over the years. This means that if you want to sell it you would get more than a Windows counterpart just because it's a Mac.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Get the Macbook.

I'd get Mac. Cheaper (at least where I am) and the multiple desktops feature on OSX is a pretty good substitute for multiple monitors.

If you want to game then go with the Razer Blade, if you want good battery life then go with the Macbook. 

As far as a gaming notebook goes, the razer blade kinda sucks. Why is the razer blade the only gaming notebook you're considering?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I despise Apple, but the Razer Blade is guilty of everything I could fault the Macbook Pro for.

If you're going to buy a non-user-servicable 'form over function' American laptop with a glossy display and a gaudy glowing logo, you might as well get the one that comes with a large world-wide chain of manufacturer service centers and approving nods from the graphic design crowd.

Or be a man and get a ThinkPad like the annoying preemptive voice in OP suggested.T540p is offered with a 2880x1620 matte IPS panel and the T550 will be as well.