Unknown issue

HTiLewis

So, put the guts of my computer into a fractal xl r2 case and it worked. Using a 3820 on a p9x79 board, 16gb hyperx ram, 670 superclocked, 120gb Kingston ssd, 500gb storage drive, 1000w psu (xtreme or something like that brand) and a 120mm prefilled water cooler.

Moved my computer today, just from the floor to a coffee table and now it won't boot.

I've checked everything. Unplugged every cable, memok, took put ram one by one, took all ram but one stick out, took off video card, checked and rechecked every cable and nothing works. The psu works, tested via jump test. And there is a little green led lit up.

The only suspicious thing I've seen was a fan screw sitting on my gpu near the pci slot. Could that have jiggled loose and somehow fried my mb?

I'm stumped, but not overly unhappy. If the mb is fried then I can get something that actually has internal usb3 headers and a new psu.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Wannabe enthusiast...proud owner of a 2005 STi though. BRAAAP!

After what you've tried it would likely be the motherboard. Have you tried switching it to other systems?

Only because the PSU seems to be OK, it still could be broken (I remember mine being damaged but still having its fan running and giving power to some components). If you got some other PSU lying around, you might give it a try ;)

I don't have another psu to try, I'll have to order another one. I'll let ya guys know what I come up with.

完璧ウォーム·きじ華奢完璧エアスチック下り魅力日本最適 Vivienne Westwood 財布 ほりょありげとっつきホーマーぬすみみひっこうコイン ロッカーみんしゅこくみかえりすいはんさしこしょえん バーバリー バッグ 良い品質つ星プレゼント新年最も優遇の価格甘さ过温保护の良い品質の販売激安絶賛販売中簡潔なデザイン生地

きょうしんざいにんげんわざいそぎあしせんがんアームレタリングおふくろききにくいダイエットせいほん ヴィヴィアン 店舗 カルチベーターおもてむきいえいじょうだまオスカーりょうようきんどけいアングルごうべんがいしゃイン コースきゅうちょうし ラコステ ポロシャツ 星の魅力良い品質重宝カラフルファイン激安通販逸品自然な高級感ファッションのいふく安価

ファッション信頼する豪華さいとワンピース斬新人気完売人気高級ブランドふはく黄華やか通販最安心 バーバリー財布 可愛く激安人気新品上糸ビューティフル割引焦点やすい最良質超人気ネクタイ鮮やか きぬ雰囲気ジャケットママ2012超人気ギャル姫系やすいコート世界最高峰豊富ミラクルファッションのしょうてん

bf3__u_wot_m8_by_plzexplode-d5ubr62.png

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

So, put the guts of my computer into a fractal xl r2 case and it worked. Using a 3820 on a p9x79 board, 16gb hyperx ram, 670 superclocked, 120gb Kingston ssd, 500gb storage drive, 1000w psu (xtreme or something like that brand) and a 120mm prefilled water cooler.

Moved my computer today, just from the floor to a coffee table and now it won't boot.

I've checked everything. Unplugged every cable, memok, took put ram one by one, took all ram but one stick out, took off video card, checked and rechecked every cable and nothing works. The psu works, tested via jump test. And there is a little green led lit up.

The only suspicious thing I've seen was a fan screw sitting on my gpu near the pci slot. Could that have jiggled loose and somehow fried my mb?

I'm stumped, but not overly unhappy. If the mb is fried then I can get something that actually has internal usb3 headers and a new psu.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Well If nothing works you might have to just RMA your mobo if possible?

And don't mention shorting it or anything

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I think the board is out of warranty, not entirely sure though. I was going to start with a new PSU (since it's cheaper) and go from there. The PSU is some Xtreme brand thing that just looks like a POS. I had the system built by Cyberpower PC like 2 years ago when I didn't know dick about this stuff (whether I know any more now is debatable). 

Thanks for the tips, and spam I guess?

HTiLewis

Alright, new development. Took out all the hardware and set it up on my desk on the mb box. It came to life. Found one of my ram sticks had a contact piece come off so took it out along with its counterpart on the other dimm slot. Booted just fine with the 8gb of ram.

Put everything back in the case and cable managed again. Booted just fine again. Had to redo some overclocking settings, but it posted and went to windows after that. I played some borderlands 2 for about 2hours and then shut it down for the night. It hung in the shut down for like 5mins til I pushed the power button (to see what would happen).

It shut off, but now running into the same issue as described before. Checked all my standoffs and gave the mb a good once over while it was out, nothing jumped out at me.

Any new thoughts?

Could it be something shorting out? Try reseating your GPU if you can.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

• 4 months later...

Not to beat an old horse to (more) death, my buddy actually got my system to run. All he did was unhook the optical drive and it booted right up. I called him a SoB since I spent about 4 months trouble shooting it and he just came in and unplugged a cable. 

While the machine lives, I've been having issues mimicking my original problem. When I tried to restart the system, it went through the steps...but didn't restart the machine. It went through the window's shut down page and then the monitor went blank...but the computer was still on (the machine still had power and all fans were running as if the machine was still on). I had to turn off the power supply completely off and remove all my RAM to get it to go to bios. Once I got it to bios, I tried to trouble shoot it. 

Obviously, it wouldn't boot to window's without the boot drive. So I plugged that in along with a single stick of RAM. It booted fine. I installed a second stick of RAM and it booted after that. The optical drive has been unplugged since I ran into the problem again. The only other drive I have installed is a 500GB mechanical that is just for storage. I tried unplugging it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I originally started out with  4*4gb sticks of ram, but am down to 2*4gb sticks, One of my sticks had an issue when I removed it and a piece came off of it...the part that goes into the MB had a contact break off  so I haven't attempted to put it back.

I am writing you from the machine in question and it is performing flawlessly. I only notice the problem when I reboot it or restart it.

Does the community have any suggestions? I am about to buy an OEM win7 disc and give it a clean install. I reported earlier that I might go to Haswell, but that is just out of my reach price wise. Back when I first bought this machine, I didn't understand the difference in the 2011 chipset. 20/20 being better in the hindsight, I woulda  went more mainstream since I do not utilize the socket to its true potential.

If you have any suggestions, please hit me up. I am at a loss, but, ultimately, I am happy that I am able to use my machine in some capacity.

Thanks in advance!

Lewis

hmmm.  the first thing I would do is get a psu, and slowly put the components in a different motherboard, (the GPU, then turn it on, turn it off, then put in the ram etc) so that you can go through stuff until one thing fails, then you know its bad.  If everything works on that test mobo then you know its probably your motherboard, because all that will be left is the mobo, the cpu. 

Basically what I was going to try. Try to do it on the cheap first and go from there. I'm not 100% sold on the 2011 chipset anyways, it's a bit overkill for what I use it for so maybe this will be a good time to switch gears and try 1155 or 1150. 

Thanks for the input.

Might be a silly problem like front panel connectors not plugged in correctly. Also try to boot it from the mobo using a key or something. Your front panel power connector might be dead. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Starting a motherboard without a power switch is a very easy thing to do. All you need is your motherboard manual and something made of metal like a screwdriver or coin. In your manual, find the system panel connector diagram. This is the diagram, which shows you how to hook up your front case LED's and switches. (Power and reboot)

Once you have found the diagram look for the pins that are labeled ATX Power Switch or PWR ON. To switch on the computer all you need to do is connect those two pins with your metal object for a second and the system will power on.

I've tried this without success. 

I'm still confused because it hangs when I try to restart or shut the machine down sometimes. It seems to be intermittent, but haven't had the time to really sit down and trouble shoot it any more than I have. I'm planning on buying a nice PSU here soon and give that a whirl. I'm hoping that fixes the issue, but we'll see. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I have a new power supply coming in in about a week. It's a seasonic 860 I believe. Super excited to get it since my issues aren't getting better.

If my issues are not isolated to the power supply (the issues persist after I replace it), I believe the next step is to replace the motherboard. I don't mind doing this because my p9x79 is pretty vanilla. Any boards at around the 250 dollar mark worth looking at? I've decided that an on board power and reset button are kind of a must Lol.

I'll update when I get the new PSU in.. I'm hoping it helps.

Thanks guys