Dell U2410 turns itself off

JordanMac

Hi all, long time since i have posted however i have an issue.

Just bought a second used Dell U2410 however 3-4 seconds after turning the monitor on the screen goes completely black however the menu buttons still light up and play a sound when clicked. 

Video of problem: 

Any suggestions?

cheers

-JordanMac

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Try a different port?

Tried VGA and HDMI, would any other ports give different results?

-JordanMac

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Try checking if any of the pins on the power supply or monitor power in are bent.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Uh, looks like the internal PSU might be going bad to me, but I could be wrong. You REALLY don't want it to be that, because then the monitor is basically toast.

Tried VGA and HDMI, would any other ports give different results?

-JordanMac

A dead or malfunctioning port can give a no signal or turn the monitor off. I'd RMA it since this isn't supposed to happen under any circumstances. :/

I have that monitor. Love it to bits!
If anyone wonders, the "beep" sound it makes when turned on is perfectly normal, and there is an option on the menu to turn it off. The monitor boot time is due that it starts the fancy color processor the monitor has. Normally the lights of the menu start lighting up one by one (they are the touch buttons, they are physical buttons), and then once lid up, they turn off, and the image shows on the screen right after. The menu button (first LED above the power button), illuminates when your hand is close by so you know where to hit. Button instructions are on screen.

Anyway,

The first thing to do is check check the basics.
1- See if Windows detects the monitor (or AMD/Nvidia Control Panel).
2- Make sure you it set to multiple screens.
3- Can you access the on screen menu? Like will the screen turn back up to show the on screen menu? Do you see a message instead?

4- Did you try to run Monitor Diagnostic of the monitor (yes, it has one)?

To do this, unplug all video cable from the monitor, Just leave power

Then, wait 1min

Then Press and hold the 1st and 4th buttons on the screen, simultaneously for 2 seconds.

A gray screen should appear.

Can you get that? (you may need to try a few times in the case you miss)

If so, press the 4th button again and again, to cycle through color tests, which it will quit once done.

I have that monitor. Love it to bits!

If anyone wonders, the "beep" sound it makes when turned on is perfectly normal, and there is an option on the menu to turn it off. The monitor boot time is due that it starts the fancy color processor the monitor has. Normally the lights of the menu start lighting up one by one (they are the touch buttons, they are physical buttons), and then once lid up, they turn off, and the image shows on the screen right after. The menu button (first LED above the power button), illuminates when your hand is close by so you know where to hit. Button instructions are on screen.

Anyway,

The first thing to do is check check the basics.

1- See if Windows detects the monitor (or AMD/Nvidia Control Panel).

2- Make sure you it set to multiple screens.

3- Can you access the on screen menu? Like will the screen turn back up to show the on screen menu? Do you see a message instead?

4- Did you try to run Monitor Diagnostic of the monitor (yes, it has one)?

To do this, unplug all video cable from the monitor, Just leave power

Then, wait 1min

Then Press and hold the 1st and 4th buttons on the screen, simultaneously for 2 seconds.

A gray screen should appear.

Can you get that? (you may need to try a few times in the case you miss)

If so, press the 4th button again and again, to cycle through color tests, which it will quit once done.

1 - yes, its detected

2 - I have and i have tried it as the only monitor

3 - I can for a split second but when the screen goes black i can still use the buttons but no onscreen display.

4 - can't get the grey screen to come up

Ok this sounds to me like a faulty capacitor(s).

I assume it's out of warranty as it is used, and well it's a 2009 monitor.

If it a faulty capacitor that is fixable. A local TV/electronic repair shop might help you there, and usually not too expensive. They usually dont' make enough money to rip you off, but not everyone is good at running a business.

But if you want to open it. You need a Philips screw driver (standard computer one size should be fine), and an old credit card or Point card card that you don't care about. Do not use anything else, as it may leave marks. Rotate the monitor in portrait mode. Make sure the monitor rubber feet are clean and grips well on the table. Now hold with a finger index and thumb the frame where the Dell logo is. Do not use nails, as it might scratch the screen. pull in a rotative matter (few degrees) gently the frame away with your thumbs, then with your index fingers lift up. You should be able to what it looks like you are removing the frame.

The plastic is old, so the plastic is hard so it will be a bit stiff. Try and do it slow and gently despite the stiffness, else you may break it.

Now insert from the edge of your credit card in the small gap that you see open. Keep in mind that the silver rim of the monitor is NOT part of the front frame. You can't pull it out, only the black part at the front. Once the credit card is in, then it becomes a bit easier, slide it by wiggling a bit a pull the frame at the same time. The frame  in front holds with snaps, but you don't want to break them, that is why you are doing this. All you are trying to do is left the snaps to get them out. The corner are tricky.

Once removed, now it is easy, with your screw driver you can remove the screws, and start taking apart the monitor. Of course, do all this while the monitor is completely unplugged and you while off, hit the power button to empty the remaining juice in the monitor capacitors.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Dell, nor an expert. Do at your own risk. Yes I have done it before, by many years ago.

Thanks all for your advice it sounds like this is not an easy fix so I have decided to return it to the seller, pretty good service from eBay got me a full refund including the p&p cost and have paid for the return postage.

-JordanMac

Hi

I have an identical issue with my Dell U2410 monitor.

Does anyone know what board inside the screen would be at fault? I have been inside my screen and can not identify a faulty capacitor but can see the power board, I/O board, multi-media board and a board on the left hand side (from the exposed back, behind the front buttons and LEDs), I don't know what it does.

A solution before the weekend would be awesome!

Cheers.

Hi

Anyone out there no how to fix this monitor?

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2015 at 3:17 PM, Jimbo44 said:

Hi

I have an identical issue with my Dell U2410 monitor.

Does anyone know what board inside the screen would be at fault? I have been inside my screen and can not identify a faulty capacitor but can see the power board, I/O board, multi-media board and a board on the left hand side (from the exposed back, behind the front buttons and LEDs), I don't know what it does.

A solution before the weekend would be awesome!

Cheers.

Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue as described in this thread and after giving my monitor to a local repair shop here is what they had to say over the phone.

They believe it's either a faulty power board or a faulty "screen" board (as he described to me).

In the first place, the part is purchasable and replaceable at an "acceptable" cost of approximately 100 euros (delivery to Greece included), completely solving the problem.

If however it's the a faulty "screen" board, then the replacement part will need to come with a new screen as well (apparently that's how dell makes them), in which case the cost goes up significantly.

Now because they are not sure and they dont have a spare power board to test their idea, they can't guarantee their work, so i would be taking a risk if i agreed to replace the power board.

I'm still looking for anybody who has had a similar issue and managed to find the problem and solve it. Any information would be super useful and much appreciated.

Thanks everybody,

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but it sounds to me like poor connection to the florescent tubs that provide the back light. If it turns on for a second maybe displays the dell logo or hdmi etc connection when you first turn it on then I'd say the screen is working fine. If there is poor connection to the many back-light tube (even one poor connection will do) the board will protect itself and power off the lights. I found some of the clips had gone brittle with heat fatigue so used caption tape to reapply pressure to the contacts. I also used switch cleaner to clean the contacts and the lights now stay on. 

• 2 years later...
On 3/16/2016 at 4:41 PM, ak113782 said:

Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue as described in this thread and after giving my monitor to a local repair shop here is what they had to say over the phone.

They believe it's either a faulty power board or a faulty "screen" board (as he described to me).

In the first place, the part is purchasable and replaceable at an "acceptable" cost of approximately 100 euros (delivery to Greece included), completely solving the problem.

If however it's the a faulty "screen" board, then the replacement part will need to come with a new screen as well (apparently that's how dell makes them), in which case the cost goes up significantly.

Now because they are not sure and they dont have a spare power board to test their idea, they can't guarantee their work, so i would be taking a risk if i agreed to replace the power board.

I'm still looking for anybody who has had a similar issue and managed to find the problem and solve it. Any information would be super useful and much appreciated.

Thanks everybody,

did you manage to get it fixed?