'The Quiet Viking' an IKEA case build

Katschung

TheQuietVikingTop.jpg

I present you my new project: The Quiet Viking, another project wich is based on a rather unusual case choice but more on that later.

First up the components wich will probably be used:

I7 4770K
Asus Sabertooth Z87
GTX 980 (770)
Corsair RM 650
8GB Crucial Ram
1TB Seagate HDD
240Gb Samsung 850 SSD

Later a custom loop will be added.

Now onto the case.
I had to choose between Silverstone, Cooler Master, Bitfenix, Corsair etc. and that was not easy, so my choice fell onto...

DSC_0002.jpg
IKEA!

Its the IKEA Oltedal if anyone is interested. And that name is the reason why my project is called "The Quiet Viking". Oltedal is a small town in Norway and when I think about Norway I think about vikings.
It is indeed rather huge, you can see that my dummy board (Full size ATX) has more than enough space in there. But that will help making my look perfect, and watercooling later will be a breeze.

Everything dissasembled work.
I can tell you taking apart ikea stuff is way harder than building them...
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0027.jpgI made some of the first cuts for cables and the I/O
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg
The cuts are not that perfect but it does its job well.
Then some holes to screw the motherboard in.

DSC_0016.jpg
And what are those stranges holes for?

DSC_0014.jpg
Ahh yes, the 8-Pin CPU plug, I will never get it out there again...

DSC_0019.jpg
And the rest of the cables.

DSC_0008.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

In the top it looks like a complete mess, but no ones gonna see it in the end ...
DSC_0004.jpgDSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0048.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg
DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0040.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0046.jpg

Peripheral Time!

IMG_20141108_163641.jpg
I gave my good ol' trusty IBM Keyboard a refresh with a bit of paint

IMG_20141109_114316.jpg
IMG_20141109_114540.jpgIMG_20141109_114620.jpg

The build is now finished until I get the time to make put my custom loop in, I wont rush this one since its my first full loop and I want it to be pretty much perfect. If I make some progress I will of course let ya see it. smile.png

DSC_0068.jpg

Yes there is clear Plexi in the front, but it is so damn clear you cant see it unless you play around with a camera.

DSC_0060.jpg
The plexi is just leant against these plastic angles and the rest is friction which holds it in place, and that works very well

DSC_0051.jpg
To get it out I cut off a corner in the plexi

DSC_0050.jpg
Same with the top panel, just held in with these angles and friction

DSC_0066-1.jpg
That switch was too the last thing I waited for, since my last switch did just decide to go dead. (Pics of it at the end as fun)

DSC_0057-1.jpgDSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0052.jpg
On the inside didnt change anything except the routing of my PCI cables, which I will def need to redo.

DSC_0053.jpgDSC_0054.jpg

This is the work of about 2 months, and I may get a sponsor in some weeks which will make the next progress much faster, otherwise it will need even more time :unsure:

Hope you enjoyed it anyway :D

Hahaha quite unexpected, love the idea though, seems like it;s coming together well. 

Oh, and subbed!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

This is cool, good job.

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

But... but.. W-what if you want to upgrade?

Amazing build anway :)

Cool fucking build dude! Loving the vandal switch and the Enermax fans. Enermax FTW!

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

You need to fix the 24pin cable so it's like the PCIe cable -- runs flat along the wall of the case and then comes out at a right angle and into the board. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Looks cool man. I have something similar in my setup =D My desk has tables like this set as legs and I have a hidden HTPC/Server in one of them 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

NICE!

Hahaha quite unexpected, love the idea though, seems like it;s coming together well. 

Oh, and subbed!

This is cool, good job.

Looks good. Good job.

Cool fucking build dude! Loving the vandal switch and the Enermax fans. Enermax FTW!

Thanks all for the nice comments ^_^  

But... but.. W-what if you want to upgrade?

Amazing build anway :)

What should prevent me in upgrading? All cuts are universal :)

You need to fix the 24pin cable so it's like the PCIe cable -- runs flat along the wall of the case and then comes out at a right angle and into the board. 

The problem is that the extension is not long enough. Once I will have my fully custom cables done it will all look even better, promised  ;)

Oh wow, didn't expect this one. Actually a really cool idea when you think about it, it's probably really nice when it fits the rooms design/surroundings.

Between, how does the wood work compared to a regular case?

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

This is pretty great.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is the fan arrangement you have here. I would think there would be a pocket of hot air where the GPU fans are blowing heat down, while your intakes in the front (I'm assuming they're intakes) are blowing cool air upwards. Meanwhile, your exhaust fans are higher than your GPU... so your cooler air is likely being blown over the GPU and removed above it, while the heat from the GPU is just circulating below it.

Of course, I'm not a physicist or anything, so I may just be talking out of my ass here... :P

Also, it won't matter anyway if you include your GPU in that liquid loop you're going to build.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Wow dude, that's awesome. 

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

• 3 weeks later...
New Stuff Arrived!

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

These four beauties will swap in for my Enermax fans.

ound time to make small progress again. but I dont have any more time by hand currently so you will have to live with pics only for now, if you have questions feel free to ask.

First up some things you might not have seen.

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

And now onto my Thermal Armor mod to finally make my CPU cooler fit the right way!

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

Finished mod of today, with a sneak peak of the noctuas.

DSC_0195.jpg

Anyone who would buy this piece? :D

Where did you get the cables?

These cables are Bit Fenix Alchemy extensions

No, I haven't lost hope in humanity. Good job. 

What about a reset switch next to it and add some fan filter maybe

Edit: Didn't see them earlier!

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

DSC_0183.jpgDSC_0184.jpgDSC_0185.jpgDSC_0186.jpgDSC_0187.jpgDSC_0193.jpg

No real progress, just had fun with my camera and I just wanted to show off the Noctua fans.