MSI x99 SLI plus or Asus x99 Pro

Im not tech expert here but Im getting the 5820k and stuck between these two mobos. I plan on running 2 SSD and 3 3.25" HDD with my build. No m.2 and Sata express being used. I know they will both support 2 way SLI so thats cool and MSI has more USB ports since Im going to be using quite a lot of USB ports since Im a photographer and there is minimal gaming Im going to be doing. I think that should cover all my needs when looking into a motherboard and how easy is it to overlock with the MSI since I heard the Asus is stupid easy :/ Im so lost since Ive never built a pc and owned a proper one for work/gaming since Ive used a mac for a long time. 

All the boards are easy to overclock on. Either will be fine, so you should just get the one that looks better / has a better I/O.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

both are great options, although I would tend to lean towards the ASUS board

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Im not tech expert here but Im getting the 5820k and stuck between these two mobos. I plan on running 2 SSD and 3 3.25" HDD with my build. No m.2 and Sata express being used. I know they will both support 2 way SLI so thats cool and MSI has more USB ports since Im going to be using quite a lot of USB ports since Im a photographer and there is minimal gaming Im going to be doing. I think that should cover all my needs when looking into a motherboard and how easy is it to overlock with the MSI since I heard the Asus is stupid easy :/ Im so lost since Ive never built a pc and owned a proper one for work/gaming since Ive used a mac for a long time. 

I have an ASUS X99 board and would recommend one, too. ASUS boards have more pins in the socket, so it's more like 2083, which will allow for more stable OC's on the RAM and CPU. The Pro looks like a great board.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I have an ASUS X99 board and would recommend one, too. ASUS boards have more pins in the socket, so it's more like 2083, which will allow for more stable OC's on the RAM and CPU. The Pro looks like a great board.

Yeah generally everyone/everywhere I've asked have suggested the Asus I might go with it but in my opinion the MSI looks better since its all black something minimal Im going for. What do you mean by 2083?

All the boards are easy to overclock on. Either will be fine, so you should just get the one that looks better / has a better I/O.

No idea what has better I/0 besides looking at the amount of usb ports LOL

Yeah generally everyone/everywhere I've asked have suggested the Asus I might go with it but in my opinion the MSI looks better since its all black something minimal Im going for. What do you mean by 2083?

No idea what has better I/0 besides looking at the amount of usb ports LOL

The motherbaord has 2083 pins, rather than the standard 2011. It allows for more stable overclocks.

MSi and Asus both make great motherboards. If you need lot's USB ports and the MSi has more, go with that! Especially if you prefer the looks of it. Both can overclock and I doubt one overclocks so much better than the other that you'll notice it.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

The motherbaord has 2083 pins, rather than the standard 2011. It allows for more stable overclocks.

guess it will have to be the Asus then hahaa, would rather know there is a better reliability :/

guess it will have to be the Asus then hahaa, would rather know there is a better reliability :/

I've used ASUS for a while and have had zero issues. No matter what you go with, you'll love it. Welcome to X99 :D

I've used ASUS for a while and have had zero issues. No matter what you go with, you'll love it. Welcome to X99 :D

Don't all X99 motherboards use the LGA2011-V3 socket which has 2083 pins?

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Don't all X99 motherboards use the LGA2011-V3 socket which has 2083 pins?

haha no. ASUS started it and Intel wasn't so fond of it. Gigabyte recently released one where you can select between 2011 or 2083 pins. Thats why it's 2011 - normally 2011 pins.

He wont really use the OC socket, because I bet he wont have crazy overvolts at 1.8 volts..

btw, OP. I would lean for the Asus side since they are the top quality engineers in my opinion and creates the "best" boards if we look at functionality and quality. MSI isnt bad eaither it is just my opinion..

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

He wont really use the OC socket, because I bet he wont have crazy overvolts at 1.8 volts..

btw, OP. I would lean for the Asus side since they are the top quality engineers in my opinion and creates the "best" boards if we look at functionality and quality. MSI isnt bad eaither it is just my opinion..

The Msi X99S Sli plus, is realy a piece of junk.

THey just fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CXb6J4fZ50

There are tons of people with the same complaints about this particular board.

This board seem to have serious quality issues.

Asus.

The Msi x99s sli plus, is a piece of crap.

Yes, this board is so "crap" that it gets recommended by Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8557/x99-motherboard-roundup-asus-x99-deluxe-gigabyte-x99-ud7-ud5-asrock-x99-ws-msi-x99s-sli-plus-intel-haswell-e/18

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower Max AC | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | GPU: MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G TwinFrozr V | Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE | Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro |

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Storage: WD Caviar Black 3TB | Displays: Samsung P2450 & Samsung 2232GW | Keyboard: Tesoro Colada G3NL Black Aluminum (Cherry MX Brown)

lol yeah Anandtech....

Check the video above.

And i would also recommend, to scan over some  topics arround the internet about these mobo´s.

Especialy Overclock.net.

Yes its crap lol.

Check the video above.

And i would also recommend, to scan over some  topics arround the internet about these mobo´s.

Especialy Overclock.net.

http://hitechlegion.com/reviews/motherboards/41318-msi-x99s-sli-plus-motherboard-review?showall=&start=8

http://youtu.be/6ZKUBhB9vso

There's two more links to reviews which disagree with your views.  Pity that there are so many Asus fanboys on LTT that people seeking recommendations can't get unbiased opinions.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower Max AC | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | GPU: MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G TwinFrozr V | Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE | Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro |

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Storage: WD Caviar Black 3TB | Displays: Samsung P2450 & Samsung 2232GW | Keyboard: Tesoro Colada G3NL Black Aluminum (Cherry MX Brown)

http://hitechlegion.com/reviews/motherboards/41318-msi-x99s-sli-plus-motherboard-review?showall=&start=8

http://youtu.be/6ZKUBhB9vso

There's two more links to reviews which disagree with your views.  Pity that there are so many Asus fanboys on LTT that people seeking recommendations can't get unbiased opinions.

First of all i´m not a boy.

Secondly, im not an Asus fan.

Those reviewers only use those boards for short period of time, just to trow a review out as quick as possible.

Just to be the first...

Bryan is a very reputable source, and he exaly used that board hisself, for a period of a week, before it blowed out.

And i can tell you allready, Bryan isn´t the only one with this particular issue.

I would say, its better to check community´s and forums about first hand experiance, instead of just watching a sellout.

This has nothing to do with biassed opinnions.

And its a bit weak to offend me for "Asus fanboyism"

I´m sending a potentional warning, for everyone that might look at this particular board.

In the end its not my money.

So I dont care which board somebody buys.

I would say, its better to check community´s and forums about first hand experiance, instead of just watching a sellout.

"Sellout" would insinuate that the reviewer received some kind of compensation for a positive review.  If your criteria for any "legit" hardware review was "extended use" then 99% of reviews on the internet would be declared null and void.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/09/09/x99-motherboard-group-test-asrock-asus-e/11

The above review actually pits the Asus against the MSI.  Keep in mind that the particular MSI model is $100 cheaper than the Asus.

"Once overclocked, it wasn't surprising to see MSI's X99S SLI Plus in the top spot in most of the tests thanks to its slight clock speed advantage at 4.3GHz. This gave it a 4fps advantage in minimum frame rate compared to the GA-X99-Gaming in Bioshock Infinite and also some nifty times in the video encoding, image editing and rendering tests too."

My point - it's unreasonable to label the MSI as a "piece of crap".

"Sellout" would insinuate that the reviewer received some kind of compensation for a positive review.  If your criteria for any "legit" hardware review was "extended use" then 99% of reviews on the internet would be declared null and void.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/09/09/x99-motherboard-group-test-asrock-asus-e/11

The above review actually pits the Asus against the MSI.  Keep in mind that the particular MSI model is $100 cheaper than the Asus.

"Once overclocked, it wasn't surprising to see MSI's X99S SLI Plus in the top spot in most of the tests thanks to its slight clock speed advantage at 4.3GHz. This gave it a 4fps advantage in minimum frame rate compared to the GA-X99-Gaming in Bioshock Infinite and also some nifty times in the video encoding, image editing and rendering tests too."

My point - it's unreasonable to label the MSI as a "piece of crap".

Sure its not reasonable to set Msi company as a piece of crap.

And im also not doing that.

I only say that that particular X99S Sli plus is a piece of crap.

I´m base this statement on tons of threads i have readed about this particular board.

First hand experiance threads, problems, and failure rates.

I can only conclude that in "my opinnion" this particular MSi board, realy has quality issues.

As shown in Bryans video above.

Dont get me wrong, 

- Asus (bioses) had their issues aswell, with some particular ram kits.

But Asus broaght a new bios allready.

- Gigabyte also had bios issues. I hope Gigabyte has finaly released a bios that does not crash?

The coolest part of all,

- Asrock X99 boards. I did not read any major issues with Asrock X99 boards at all, till now. :)

Sure its not reasonable to set Msi company as a piece of crap.

And im also not doing that.

I only say that that particular X99S Sli plus is a piece of crap.

I´m base this statement on tons of threads i have readed about this particular board.

First hand experiance threads, problems, and failure rates.

I can only conclude that in "my opinnion" this particular MSi board, realy has quality issues.

As shown in Bryans video above.

Dont get me wrong, 

- Asus (bioses) had their issues aswell, with some particular ram kits.

But Asus broaght a new bios allready.

- Gigabyte also had bios issues. I hope Gigabyte has finaly released a bios that does not crash?

The coolest part of all,

- Asrock X99 boards. I did not read any major issues with Asrock X99 boards at all, till now. :)

SHHHHHHH... Dont fight with the MSI fanboy :D

SHHHHHHH... Dont fight with the MSI fanboy :D

:D

@fatsumie May I ask why you haven't considered the Asus X99-A? It is the same PCB as the X99-Pro, minus the Wi-Fi card traces, and the decorative plastic on the side.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

I´d get the Asus X99.

I am super happy with my X99 Deluxe. No stability issues no problems in OCing and nice features.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling